Kicker 100W amp wiring question - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Electronics

Old 04-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
Ronin Concealment

2006 GTO Owner

Kicker 100W amp wiring question

So, I have replaced the rear subs with 6.5 Memphis audio subs, and a buddy of mine gave me two of the old kicker 100w amps, and I was wondering if I could wire one amp per speaker off of the factory wiring harness?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
gixxer711

2005 GTO Owner

Obviously note plug and play. As long as your amp has line-in inputs, I would assume you could use the signal from the original amp wiring but would most likely need to run separate power wire. I don’t know if the stock amp turns on by sensing signal coming from the speaker input or has a separate amp on wire. If it does, you can use that for your remote signal. I have not found the original amp wiring diagram yet, so take this for what it’s worth. In audio most things are pretty similar.

I am curious to know how the new speakers sound using the factory amp though?
Volant intake
Tune
1-piece DSS driveshaft
Cold Case radiator
Old 04-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
Ronin Concealment

2006 GTO Owner

I understand that it's not plug and play, and I really don't know anything about audio I had read a previous thread where they said it was a good amp to use for a little extra bass. As for the speakers on the factory amp they sound good.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
02dirtybird

2006 GTO Owner

I hadn't done it before because I normally go for full replacement of the system along with rewiring, etc. In the case that you are not looking to add a new head unit in which you use pre-amp outputs you can go through the existing speaker signal(s).

Google speaker level inputs (high level inputs). There are ways to either patch in a unit such as a JL Audio Fix-82 (or similar) or many amps can wire in the speaker level inputs directly.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Ronin Concealment

2006 GTO Owner

Should I worry about to much draw on the factory positive burning the car to the ground?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
wills95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Concealment...View Post
Should I worry about to much draw on the factory positive burning the car to the ground?

The amp should have separate inputs for signal and power/ground. The converter that gixxer is talking about takes the signal from your factory speakers and tuns it into something your amp can understand (factory speaker wire->conversion box->RCA->line in on amp)

Power wire to the amp is different, this is a cable run from your battery to your amp. 2 100 watt amps are too much for any factory wiring in the trunk, run a new 8 gauge wire (fused close to the battery) from the battery through the firewall to the trunk,and then split it off using a distribution block to run both amps.

Make sure when setting up the amps to use the same gain setting on both.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
llafro

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to llafro
Be sure to install a correctly sized fuse near the battery when running the power wire. Without that fuse, you really can burn the car to the ground.

The other question you need to answer is what the specifications of the amps and subs are. The power output of the amp is dependent on the impedance in ohms of the speakers. The 100 watt rating is likely for a 2-ohm speaker. If you connect the same amp to a 4 ohm speaker, the output drops by half to 50 watts. There are various ways to connect the subs in order to address the impedance. If the amps are two channel, then the 100 watt power is obtained by bridging the load so that one speaker takes the entire power of both channels.
10-speaker, 1200-watt custom sound system

98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: