Slow steering! - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
alscrimp

Slow steering!

The previous owner of this 2006 installed a new rack & pinion steering gear. I noticed that it is extremely slow in response to turning input. A rack & pinion should be very responsive. This one is not. My 2002 pickup has more response and it does not have a rack on it! Is this a common trait among 2004-2006 GTO's?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
DangerNoodle
The battle of wits has begun.

2004 GTO Owner

I have this arbitrary issue with no baseline, is this how all *insert noun* are?

That is your question... you will not get an answer.
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Old 06-04-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Kfxguy

I feel like mine steers just as good as my 2011 SS camaro I had. The two cars feels very similiar except the gto rides better.
ss3200 yank
[email protected] 125 8psi (ish) (on 12psi now)
kinda slow but not really
Build thread https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837586

Old 06-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Your inner tie rod ends are probably about to fall apart.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
Widebody06

2006 GTO Owner

GTO steering is variable ratio and pretty numb around center compared to many cars, my '97 Camaro in particular was much better in every respect. IF you love your goat and dont mind spending, find a Fastrack and replace the steering pump with an aftermarket pump(KRC or TurnOne) with adjustable/tuneable flow rate. The combo of lower flow rate and Fastrack will quicken the steering and increase feel and feed back making steering MUCH more suitable to performance use.

'06 BOM M6 RA6 Widebody
Trick Flow 550 kit
ARH LT, MBS Cats, Corsa Touring
Wilson FAST92, DW #42
Aeromotive 340 8.1
Duspeed, Gates Racing Belts, Jamesbiz
Monster Stage 4 Clutch DSS AH Axles
GMM RIP, Hinson mounts
Harrop Cover 3.91, Voodoo Chikin
BC Coilovers Hotchkis bars
Whiteline, Fastrack, HSV wheel
Spohn arms, toe bars
CCW 505a wheels Nitto Invo 285/345 tires
CTS-V Brembo V2
SCSS Oil, LC2 WB
HP Tuner Pro on HP Laptop
Old 07-20-2019, 04:03 AM   #6
KM06

2006 GTO Owner

Define slow and unresponsive? You didn't mention why it was replaced? Miles on the clock? Pump noise? What kind of fluid is in the system? Factory spec is ATF, not steering fluid, a common mistake that is the easiest to correct. There is a large difference in viscosity. Since it is a fresh rack the first hard parts to look for is a kinked hard line, very easy to do especially if the line mounting points are not loosened at install, there are very few short cuts on these cars, that ain't one of them. Pressure side is on the right, return left and goes to the POS cooler behind the center grills before crossing over again to the pump. There are a lot of turns, just a tad too much push and yer screwed. Another likely cause is trash in the system from the R+R Is the wheel light and seem to have lost motion? Probably the pinion shaft preload. I'll not get into the adjustment procedure, if you don't know exactly what you are doing a lot of bad shi ft can happen. You didn't mention why it was replaced? Don't just start throwing parts at it, look for the cause not the effect. There is nothing inherently wrong with the system, properly tuned it performs quite well.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
Widebody06

2006 GTO Owner

Since rack and pinion steering systems are literally just a pinion driving a linear rack gear, there is only one factor affecting the rate of response: the gear ratio.

If you disable the pump, the steering still responds with the same input/output ratio, it just take more muscle, so kinked tubing, clogged flow restrictor(yes there is one in the system), wrong fluid will ONLY affect effort not response rate.

So IF the complaint is slow steering rather than something else being improperly described, then there is only one way to change it(excepting shorter spindle arms ala drift cars)which is a Fastrack. Keep in mind there are only 2 racks that fit the car- the common TSA and somewhat rare KYB. The Fastrack is a TSA rack with a different ratio ratio gear. My point is we know what is in the car and therefore how it responds to input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: