Cooling ideas? - Page 2 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > LS1/LS2 Engine Tech

Old 06-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #31
ocgoat

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy...View Post
WELL. Alternator died. Again. Good ole oreilly alternator. LOL. I'm currently trying to work this situation out. Getting a refund from oreilly, and getting one from autozone. Did your heart sink? Dont fret, they started carrying factory delco parts so I'm getting a delco unit. Definitely not an autozone reman. lol

was sitting in the drive through, toggling through the hidden menu, when i passed the voltage and saw 11.5v real quick...I went back. Then I thought it was a fluke because the check alternator light didnt come on, so i grabbed a fluke and checked the voltage . 11.7v at the battery.

went to a car show last night. Light blipped a couple times. check alternator came on briefly and then the light blipped once on the way to work. Thought it was just playing. Evidently it wasnt.

Got an AC Delco from Rock Auto. 190 plus shipping, no issues.

The Stable

2005 PBM M6 Procharged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLSQUMs-veE

2014 Silverado 5.3 crew cab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIR8n3fALmE
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #32
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgoat...View Post
Got an AC Delco from Rock Auto. 190 plus shipping, no issues.

I got an ac delco one yesterday. Put it on yesterday at work. I had driven it and the oreilly one failed me for the second time, while I was at lunch. Hopefully this one is better.
ss3200 yank
[email protected] 125 8psi (ish) (on 12psi now)
kinda slow but not really
Build thread https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837586
Old 06-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #33
Kfxguy

Update. First mod is done. Well it’s not a mod actually. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

Put the car on the lift at work today. Flushed old coolant out. Had a bunch of crap in it. I drained and filled it about five times. I put a cooling system cleaner in and flushed it out. Then I put half a gallon of straight dexcool, a bottle of redline and the rest is water. Didn’t have distilled water. Beat me up. Lol. I don’t buy into that. Anyways.it was two degrees hotter outside today on the way home (93f vs 91f) and the highest I saw was 213 and that was a brief time after I had gouged on it a few times. Average was 204-208....instead of 217. So I’m making progress. It would go down to 203 at a redlight. Then after accelerating and convertor slip, be 204,206 or 208. I need to get a better trans cooler now and maybe relocate. If you guys want I’ll keep posted each thing and the temp difference I see. Maybe help someone down the road.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #34
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

i'm sure using distilled helps prevent mineral deposits in the cooling system from forming.

any barrier between the coolant and the surfaces inside the cooling system could interfere with heat transfer.

you look like you are concerned with "every little bit helps" with your cooling issue, so it's something to consider.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:36 AM   #35
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
i'm sure using distilled helps prevent mineral deposits in the cooling system from forming.

any barrier between the coolant and the surfaces inside the cooling system could interfere with heat transfer.

you look like you are concerned with "every little bit helps" with your cooling issue, so it's something to consider.

Yea you are right. I have to drain it and do it over agin anyways. I found out that half gallon of coolant i use was a mix. I was going to switch over to honda coolant because i have unlimited amounts free but i wasnt sure I got all the coolant out. So i'll do it again and flush it better this time.,
Old 06-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #36
Glynn
Pontiac Fanboy

2006 GTO Owner

What about getting hot air out of the engine bay with a new hood?

2015 A6 SS w/:
Holden Bits|Warranty-Friendly Trinkets
Baby Mobile

2006 M6 GTO w/:
|Vararam|Ported TB/Intake|Kooks LTs|Magnaflow 2.5"|Pedders XA Supercars|Hotchkis Sways|4P CTS-V|LT1-S Twin|Billet Pro|Square 275/35 on 18x9et42|HINSON E&T Mounts|Whiteline, SuperPro, and Pedders Bushings|
John Doe's old ride. "1LE" GTO in progress...

1997 Grand Prix GT Sold
Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #37
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn...View Post
What about getting hot air out of the engine bay with a new hood?

What kind of hood you have in mind?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #38
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

All I meant was if the temperature goes up at speed you have a low pressure area at the radiator. Possibly removing the radiator shroud or diverting air different than it is now from underneath might help. Might, could, should, maybe etc...

Hood extractors can allow more air to get to the radiator but if everything is right - rad cap, thermostat, proper level of coolant, no air in the system, pump works, no leaks - should you be having a temperature problem?
Old 06-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #39
LS3goatee
Repeat LS3 Swapper

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I kinda went overkill but I have a heat extractor in my hood, thermostat with fans to tuned, Ron Davis radiator, oil cooler, dual pass heat exchanger, and OTR (cooler IATs). I'm in PHX, so every bit of cooling helps out here with 100+ degrees approaching as summer begins.

Wealth of information creates poverty of the mind
LS3, LSA Blower, ZL1 lid, LS9 cam, Tick oil pump, Howards springs/pushrods, ARP goodies
Longtubes + Carven 3" exhaust, NW 92MM TB, Moroso catch can
Camaro SS Brembos F/R, 19" forged wheels, BMR skid plate, 05/06 rear bumper
Ron Davis radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, ECU relocation, Tick adj. MC, SAP lower + CF Splitter
Gforce axles, Harrop diff cover, Megan coilovers
Custom Mavman CF cowl hood AND dash bezel
Old 06-04-2019, 04:53 AM   #40
Kfxguy

i think my first plan of attack is to put a better trans cooler. Trying to decide which one and where I am mounting it. My concern is to keep it out the airflow goin to the radiator.

basically I have it stacked like this:

intercooler
trans cooler
condenser
radiator

probably not the best arrangement.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #41
Harrybandini

I used the mishimoto dropped my temp almost 10 degrees and fit just fine and yes it only has a tube trans cooler but that’s cause it’s a radiator not a dedicated trans cooler but it is a 3 pass trans cooler if I’m not mistaken
Old 06-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #42
SoSlow6.0

Have you considered relocating to a cooler, less sticky part of the country?😉
Old 06-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #43
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow6.0...View Post
Have you considered relocating to a cooler, less sticky part of the country?😉

Nah. Over my car running hot? Like pack up all my stuff and move? Probably be cheaper/easier/make more sense to put a bigger radiator in or sell the car and get something else.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #44
Kfxguy

Update fellow gto brethren. I decided just for the heck of it I would put a 180 stat in it. Didn’t think it was gonna help much, because really, what’s 6-7 degrees? Well when I took out the old old, I noticed it wasn’t installed where tab was in its notch. So upon further inspection I also noticed it was not the factory one. Motored was printed on it. And it looked like something was coming apart in it. So it was probably getting stuck. Put one I had that was given to me long ago for my truck but didn’t use it. Temps now: 190-195 in the heat of the day. I ran the piss out it (running lean too...oops) and temps climbed to 203. I can live with that. Cruise it stays 190-195...idle in traffic it stays about 195. 95f outside today and nasty humid. Still going to continue with a couple more things......and report back.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #45
Kfxguy

More info and a little update. Today was extremely hot. 93f with a 105f heat index. The air was hot. Pretty much felt like a sauna when I rolled my window Dow and stuck my hand out the window on my ride home from work. So....

Sitting idling in the parking lot at work with the hood open, ac blasting (was talking to a co worker for a bit) it was running 188. Shut the hood, 192f. So that tells me I need to make more room to get the heat out. Or maybe a cowl hood.

stuck in traffic (I have a 1 hour 26 mile commute) it would run 206f.

Cruising down the road I was at 204 and eventually dropped to 199. I noticed temps will rise when I’m not in lockup with the trans. So I need a better cooler for sure.

So to recap what o have now is
Stock aftermarket replacement radiator from 1800-radiator
Maybe a half gallon of dexcool, one bottle of redline water wetter and the rest just tap water
Cheapo tube and fin trans cooler. Not a big one either
180 stat

I’m changing the oil tonight and adding motorkote to it. Supposedly it really does reduce friction and will drop the temp. After watching project farms test on YouTube, I’m convinced it does work. I’ll report back tomorrow if there’s any change.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #46
LS3goatee
Repeat LS3 Swapper

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
More info and a little update. Today was extremely hot. 93f with a 105f heat index. The air was hot. Pretty much felt like a sauna when I rolled my window Dow and stuck my hand out the window on my ride home from work. So....

Sitting idling in the parking lot at work with the hood open, ac blasting (was talking to a co worker for a bit) it was running 188. Shut the hood, 192f. So that tells me I need to make more room to get the heat out. Or maybe a cowl hood.

stuck in traffic (I have a 1 hour 26 mile commute) it would run 206f.

Cruising down the road I was at 204 and eventually dropped to 199. I noticed temps will rise when I’m not in lockup with the trans. So I need a better cooler for sure.

So to recap what o have now is
Stock aftermarket replacement radiator from 1800-radiator
Maybe a half gallon of dexcool, one bottle of redline water wetter and the rest just tap water
Cheapo tube and fin trans cooler. Not a big one either
180 stat

I’m changing the oil tonight and adding motorkote to it. Supposedly it really does reduce friction and will drop the temp. After watching project farms test on YouTube, I’m convinced it does work. I’ll report back tomorrow if there’s any change.

I'm in PHX, it gets up to 110+ during the summer, hottest so far was 106* and I'm still running 185-190* coolant temps around the CITY during heavy traffic in this ridiculous heat. Try a 160* thermostat with tuned fans to match, and 70/30 water/dexcool mix. A bigger rad even. Hell, a bigger rad and oil cooler is less than buying a cowl (which doesn't do anything for heat, anyway), and if you don't want a mishimoto, you can source your own cooler much cheaper. If you have a stock 05/06, look into tracspec hood vents as well.

Last edited by LS3goatee; 06-20-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #47
Glynn
Pontiac Fanboy

2006 GTO Owner

Banshee hood or heat extractors and get those fans running full time.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #48
LS3goatee
Repeat LS3 Swapper

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

And don't add anything to the oil, just run proper oil. I just went down the rabbit hole of HT/HS viscosity ratings, wear tests etc., and additives in oil lowered its performance in most tests.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #49
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3goatee...View Post
And don't add anything to the oil, just run proper oil. I just went down the rabbit hole of HT/HS viscosity ratings, wear tests etc., and additives in oil lowered its performance in most tests.

Man I donít like additives but this is pretty convincing. Independent test. This dude is the real deal. Iím not convinced of anything very easily.

https://youtu.be/88vwUwa3igQ

Tonight I changed my oil. And I added that additive. Iíll have temp info tomorrow, I donít expect much of any, but Iím keeping track regardless. I will tell you this, my engine is much much quieter. My valvetrain noise is nonexistent. I never remember my engine being this quiet or smooth. I took my 15 year to to go pick up his friend tonight. He asked me why the car sounded quieter. I thought it was in my head till he asked me that. Believe me or not, no matter. I donít believe in snake oil. Slick 50, z max etc is all crap and snake oil to me. But when you watch this guys videos, you will understand why Iím convinced.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #50
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3goatee...View Post

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

try that rabbit hole.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #51
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Man I donít like additives but this is pretty convincing. Independent test. This dude is the real deal. Iím not convinced of anything very easily.

https://youtu.be/88vwUwa3igQ

Tonight I changed my oil. And I added that additive. Iíll have temp info tomorrow, I donít expect much of any, but Iím keeping track regardless. I will tell you this, my engine is much much quieter. My valvetrain noise is nonexistent. I never remember my engine being this quiet or smooth. I took my 15 year to to go pick up his friend tonight. He asked me why the car sounded quieter. I thought it was in my head till he asked me that. Believe me or not, no matter. I donít believe in snake oil. Slick 50, z max etc is all crap and snake oil to me. But when you watch this guys videos, you will understand why Iím convinced.

that video doesn't really convince me of anything.

why don't you do a before and after test of the oil, with an without that additive? send them to blackstone labs or something.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #52
Kfxguy

Update. After changing the oil I did not noticed any real temp changes. But my Valve train and engine are definitely much quieter than usual. Coincidence? Maybe. Is it in my head? I really don’t think so because I normally can hear a good bit of Valve train under my carport and even more with the hood open. Noticed today while changing the trans cooler that it’s quieter

I ended up putting a Hayden 679 trans cooler in. It’s about twice the size of the junk one I had. I went rode around this evening. Weather is 83f super humid. Weather app says feels like 93. After several 1-2-3 and 2-3 pulls on various boost levels (was doing some tuning) the trans temp stayed around 183-183. Before it would easily hit 205-210 with less spirited driving. I even went in walgreens and left my son in the car and let it idle with the ac on just to make sure it’s sll nice and heated. It’s hot and nasty tonight. I did not like my coolant temps however. It’s 195 at cruise and I say 205-208 after beating on it. Think I’m gonna have to end up moving the cooler, changing the radiator or putting some better fans. At least I got trans temps under control but I think that’s adding to my coolant temps. We shall see during the day. I’m figuring I’ll have at least 10 degrees higher trans temps. At cruise it stayed around 172. 180-185 at cruise during the heat of the day, I can live with. I left room for a 6”- or 7” fan on the cooler. May try that next and see what I get. Here’s the cooler mounted.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 08-14-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #53
Audacious Nick
Send Nudes

2004 GTO Owner

You don't buy into distilled water? This is why I make fun of you, because of comments like this.
2006 GSXR 1000- "The 250." 162whp. Sold
2008 LS460- The land yacht. More horsepower than an 04 GTO.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #54
Vemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious Nick...View Post
You don't buy into distilled water? This is why I make fun of you, because of comments like this.

Man..you are so cool.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #55
Glynn
Pontiac Fanboy

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vemon...View Post
Man..you are so cool.

He does have a point, though.

If you're troubleshooting, cross the t's and dot the i's first.

Last edited by Glynn; 06-29-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 PM   #56
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious Nick...View Post

Well what Iíd like to know is, have you actually tested this? Or are you following along like a sheep because you read it? Iíve used it both ways, saw no difference. As much as I mess with my car, I flush the cooling system from time to time, I donít seem to get build up. Or corrosion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and itís just than until itís proven otherwise. Not just popular belief. Hey remember years ago when people believed that smaller headers make more tq. That back pressure was needed. That backpressure made tq. Blah blah blah. I didnít buy into that crap either. And whadduya know. They running 1 7/8 headers on little 6 liter motors now and sometimes 5.7ís and not losing bottom end. What about cylinder heads. All the bull stories youíd hear about needing small ports for tq and o donít go to big on the heads because youíll lose power. Then the LS1 came out and trounced those stupid ideas. I could on and on.

Hereís a good read for you. For some reason this company says do not use distilled water in your cooling system. I know I know. They are stupid and you are smarter(ass). Lol. Had too.

https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/...ooling-system/
Old 06-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #57
05silgto

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Update. After changing the oil I did not noticed any real temp changes. But my Caltrain and engine are definitely much quieter than usual. Coincidence? Maybe. Is it in my head? I really don’t think so because I normally can hear a good bit of Caltrain under my carbort and even more with the hood open. Noticed today while changing the trans cooler that it’s quieter

I ended up putting a Hayden 679 trans cooler in. It’s about twice the size of the junk one I had. I went rode around this evening. Weather is 83f super humid. Weather app says feels like 93. After several 1-2-3 and 2-3 pulls on various boost levels (was doing some tuning) the trans temp stayed around 183-183. Before it would easily hit 205-210 with less spirited driving. I even went in walgreens and left my son in the car and let it idle with the ac on just to make sure it’s sll nice and heated. It’s hot and nasty tonight. I did not like my coolant temps however. It’s 195 at cruise and I say 205-208 after beating on it. Think I’m gonna have to end up moving the cooler, changing the radiator or putting some better fans. At least I got trans temps under control but I think that’s adding to my coolant temps. We shall see during the day. I’m figuring I’ll have at least 10 degrees higher trans temps. At cruise it stayed around 172. 180-185 at cruise during the heat of the day, I can live with. I left room for a 6”- or 7” fan on the cooler. May try that next and see what I get. Here’s the cooler mounted.

What transmission are you running? I live around the houston area and my trans. temperature typically sits around 87F with a m6 unless there is something wrong with my sensor cause now that I think about it 87f sounds to good to be true in 95 degree weather.
If you have a m6 do you top of the tranny oil every oil change like the manual calls for? If you have a automatic I would suggest flushing all the fluid just in case.

As for the radiator I found a cheap all aluminium that cost about 150$ on amazon. I just purchased it today. My stock radiator just developed a small leak at the plastic seam. The radiator does require some trimming to the stock fan shroud as it seems due to being larger than the stock unit, however I have a procharger with the aftermarker fan shroud and extra large fans so I already have no clearance.
I contacted the seller and you can get a full refund with free shipping back if it doesn't fit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKPV6DF...v_ov_lig_dp_it

As for the motorkote I don't think that video necessary proves anything. I find it somewhat fishy why he didn't use straight up motor oil on the first test before adding the motorkote. Also there is no control group which every scientific test should have.
Also your valve train making less noise could be associated with the fresh engine oil you put in vs the older used oil you removed.
I'm not saying the product doesn't work but just that video shows no proof of it and I'm sure the guy is getting paid by motorkote to sponsor the product on his channel.
If this product does in fact reduce friction in our motors then it would also improve the efficiency and thus improve our gas mileage so I would use that as a indicator to watch for any improvement.

As for the soft water, I'm not sure how far I would look into that article. For one they are trying to sell a product and they don't provide much info on how distilled water will "eventually" destroy metal. Keep in mind "eventually" could mean 300 years. I guarantee the plastic on your radiator will crack before the distilled water ever destroys your radiator.
Also I believe the article is assuming you have just water in your radiator. Antifreeze contains lots of solutes in order to decrease the freezing point. I'm sure it contains ions that helps reduce the reaction.

Last edited by 05silgto; 06-28-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #58
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05silgto...View Post
What transmission are you running? I live around the houston area and my trans. temperature typically sits around 87F with a m6 unless there is something wrong with my sensor cause now that I think about it 87f sounds to good to be true in 95 degree weather.
If you have a m6 do you top of the tranny oil every oil change like the manual calls for? If you have a automatic I would suggest flushing all the fluid just in case.

As for the radiator I found a cheap all aluminium that cost about 150$ on amazon. I just purchased it today. My stock radiator just developed a small leak at the plastic seam. The radiator does require some trimming to the stock fan shroud as it seems due to being larger than the stock unit, however I have a procharger with the aftermarker fan shroud and extra large fans so I already have no clearance.
I contacted the seller and you can get a full refund with free shipping back if it doesn't fit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKPV6DF...v_ov_lig_dp_it

As for the motorkote I don't think that video necessary proves anything. I find it somewhat fishy why he didn't use straight up motor oil on the first test before adding the motorkote. Also there is no control group which every scientific test should have.
Also your valve train making less noise could be associated with the fresh engine oil you put in vs the older used oil you removed.
I'm not saying the product doesn't work but just that video shows no proof of it and I'm sure the guy is getting paid by motorkote to sponsor the product on his channel.
If this product does in fact reduce friction in our motors then it would also improve the efficiency and thus improve our gas mileage so I would use that as a indicator to watch for any improvement.

As for the soft water, I'm not sure how far I would look into that article. For one they are trying to sell a product and they don't provide much info on how distilled water will "eventually" destroy metal. Keep in mind "eventually" could mean 300 years. I guarantee the plastic on your radiator will crack before the distilled water ever destroys your radiator.
Also I believe the article is assuming you have just water in your radiator. Antifreeze contains lots of solutes in order to decrease the freezing point. I'm sure it contains ions that helps reduce the reaction.

I have a 4l60. Your trans stays below ambient temp? Does that even sound possible in your mind? Of course the sensor Is not right. Maybe it’s in Celsius? I mean it’s connected to a hot engine, so there’s no way the trans is that cool.

That guy is not sponsored for sure. Watch some more of his videos and you’ll understand.

My fluid doesn’t need flushing, it’s new.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 06-29-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #59
DangerNoodle
The battle of wits has begun.

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05silgto...View Post

Unless you have an aftermarket cooler system hooked up and working overtime, there isn't a CHANCE that your m6 is operating at 87ļF.

Maybe its Celsius.
87ļC = 188ļF
That's more reasonable.
180ļF is the ideal operating temp
If it is reaching 250ļF+ that's atf break down temp. = no bueno
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Old 06-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #60
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

maybe he forgot the one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: