AC blowing warm in a 2004 - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Tech Lounge

Old 07-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
themanatuf

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to themanatuf
AC blowing warm in a 2004

I have a garage queen 2004 thatís been sitting for a few weeks. Decided to take it for a spin and when I turned on the AC I heard a slight hissing sound coming from the front right side of the car. The air never got cold so I brought it home to check it out.

With the car off:
Low: 85 psi
High: 85 psi

Engine running, max AC:
Low: 25 psi
High: 125 psi

It was about 85 out (in Florida so very high humidity). I heard the compressor click when I first turned the air on and it was definitely spinning. When I removed the gauge from the low side port there was air leaking out until I tightened the cap back on. It may have been the same hissing I initially heard, but Iím not 100% sure.

Given the low high pressure side while running, that seems to indicate a leak near the compressor or is it a faulty compressor?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
+ GMM Ripshifter (thanks Tom Tiberio!)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
spd.GTO

2004 GTO Owner

The compressor is working with those pressure. Those pressures seem low your suction should be around 45psi. I would get a can of 134 and add some gas in until the suction line got cold and sweaty. Now all you gotta do is find where it leaked out from. Those valve cores dont always seat back correctly when you put guages on them. You can try pushing it in and out with something to try to get it to seal. Caps are important.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

From the pressure readings, it sounds like you're low on refrigerant.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
themanatuf

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to themanatuf
Thanks, I’ll grab a can and see how it goes. I appreciate the replies!
Old 07-22-2019, 03:13 AM   #5
gto57
Is that FWD?

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanatuf...View Post
Thanks, Iíll grab a can and see how it goes. I appreciate the replies!

Get the bigger can, I used a small can before to recharge it and it wasn't quite enough.

Engine Mods: Livernois Stage III LS6 heads/cam | Cam - [email protected], Lift .568", LSA 114
Fast LSXr 102mm | LPE 100MM MAF | 105MM Accufab TB
SvedeSpeed OTRCAI | JBA Shorty Headers | JBA Mids w/cats | JBA Split Catback

Appearance: Banshee Hood | Banshee Dual Exhaust Inserts | DBA Slotted Rotors
Ace Alloy AFF02 Black Chrome, 19" staggered setup.

Drivetrain : | DSS CF Driveshaft | Gforce Half Shafts | Inner Axle Stubs
3200 Vigilante Single Disc

Old 07-23-2019, 04:46 AM   #6
ATF

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanatuf...View Post
I have a garage queen 2004 thatís been sitting for a few weeks. Decided to take it for a spin and when I turned on the AC I heard a slight hissing sound coming from the front right side of the car. The air never got cold so I brought it home to check it out.

With the car off:
Low: 85 psi
High: 85 psi

Engine running, max AC:
Low: 25 psi
High: 125 psi

It was about 85 out (in Florida so very high humidity). I heard the compressor click when I first turned the air on and it was definitely spinning. When I removed the gauge from the low side port there was air leaking out until I tightened the cap back on. It may have been the same hissing I initially heard, but Iím not 100% sure.

Given the low high pressure side while running, that seems to indicate a leak near the compressor or is it a faulty compressor?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Give this spot a check on yours, just for peace of mind. It is by the ABS bracket passenger side. My hose had slowly rubbed it's way through and let refrigerant out.

1 7/8Ē ARH longtubes..stock catback..FAST 102..XAIR OTR CAI w/IAT relocated..linkbar lifters..Mishimoto Radiator..catch can..Monster Lvl 2 Single disc..OEM 3.91 gears w/TrueTrac..Anti-Hop axle..1pc driveshaft..DBA brakes..GMM RipShift..Hotchkis Swaybars..Pedders Drag Springs..Drag Bags..GSR Shocks..Lovells springs w/Monroe struts..many bushings replaced.. Russell brake/fuel lines..lot's of other stuff..tuned @ CSP
Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
littlerbigfoot

2004 GTO Owner

Even with a manifold gauge set, it is a bit difficult to get a perfect charge. Outside temperature and humidity dramatically skew the readings. Adding 'a bit of freon' simply does not cut it these days. To easy to overcharge. A few years ago, I emptied the system, evacuated to a vacuum, and installed the closest approximation of the exact required charge that I could. I do not see any other way to do it right. The days of R-12 and a site glass for charging are in the past.
The gauge set and a pump are cheap enough and if you do the job right, the compressor will have the best chance of lasting.
Personally, I hate the newer freon. It stresses the compressor and in general, does not cool like R-12. So, when we had 98 humid degrees a few days ago, I was very happy that the GOAT's AC was able to keep up.

Last edited by littlerbigfoot; 07-23-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
YellowJacketLS3

2004 GTO Owner

it may sound stupid but check on the drivers side under the steering shaft to make sure your A/C line isn't rubbing the column shaft. On my 04 it was rubbing on bumps and turns until eventually one day as was driving my line burst. It started out as slowly becoming less and less efficient until it went through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: