My opinion on a few car wash/detail products - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors


Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Kfxguy
Registered User
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 1,046


Offline
My opinion on a few car wash/detail products

I decided now that I have the “go”, that it’s time for a little “show”. My car has been needing a little TLC for a while because I’ve been neglecting it by worrying about go fast parts. I decided I wanted to ceramic coat it. Well after doing some research and watching some review videos, I’ve changed my mind, for now. I came across a video on accident that was showing 30 something waxes, polymers and ceramic coatings on a hood left out in the weather for a year. I was amazed to see that an $8 polymer kept up with the best of them. My grandfather years ago (he passed away a few years ago) told me that my finish was a really good and long lasting wax. I laughed and wrote it off because he was a tightwad with his money. I continued to buy more expensive stuff through the years, always to be disappointed. Whether it be application difficulty, excessive dust, or hard to remove....they all never lasted no matter what. I’ll admit, I’m lazy when it comes to detailing. I hate it, until I start. Then I get into it. But anyways, I decided to give that cheap stuff a shot after reading numerous numerous reviews on it. Including on amazon. More on that in a minute.

So I wanted an easy as possible job so I picked up some items to make my job easier that I’d like to mention. I do want to drag my pressure washer out every time I was, so I picked up a fruits foam gun that hooks to a hose. For $40 this little jewel works perfect. The gun detached from the soap tank for quick rinsing. The soap tank also rotated so it always hangs down causing less fatigue. Next I picked up a griots synthetic clay sponge. Awesome. Made the job go much much faster. Works well, just follow directions. I already had a Ryobi cordless orbital 10” buffer. Love that thing. Use it to apply wax and makes removing it much easier. And my cheapie harbor freight variable speed grinder that doubles as a buffer. I had to buff the hood with some 3m rubbing compound. I also had to spot polish some scratches in hard to reach areas. I had a Milwaukee 12v mini drill and a small buffing pad for that.

The nu finish went on easy. Probably one of the easiest waxes I’ve used. (Not really was esc but I’m gonna call it that for ease of explanation). It wipes on easy and comes off easy with minimal dust. Big plus there. Make sure you don’t let it dry long, if you do it’s harder to remove. I may have used a little much st times making mine harder to come off in some places. I just finish this job which took me about 5 hours. I’m extremely impressed with the results. I’ve paid to have my car don’t professionally twice (clay bar and wax) and it did not turn out this nice. The paint on most of the car looks like a new car. I’m going to update this threat periodically to let you guys know how long this wax actually lasts. Check it.....pics do no justice











How can I not post a underhood pic






Video
https://youtu.be/Uvf9CU9k6yA
__________________
2004 5.7
78mm BILLET turdbo
Summit ghost cam
ss3200 yank
[email protected] 125 8psi (ish) (on 12psi now)
kinda slow but not really

Last edited by Kfxguy; 05-07-2019 at 06:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Hockeyman
Living the dream!
 
Hockeyman's Avatar
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lakeside Plantation, North Port, FL
Posts: 4,762
Premium Member


Offline
Looks nice!
I've used NuFinish on many of my past cars for decades. Love it.

I'm now using Collinite 845 and mixing it 50/50 with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. That formulation seems to be holding up the best for me in the hot florida sun. I get about 4 months out of it before the water beading goes away, so I re-apply it 3x's per year on all of my vehicles.

Between waxes, I wash and use Aerolon's Tech Shine when drying the surface. It's a wet-applied paint sealant and does a fairly good job on helping preserve the water beading. It does not hold up too long though by itself (without a wax coating). Durability of the Tech Shine, without a waxed surface, is about a month.
__________________
My Thermochromic Paint experiment from 2010;

http://vid79.photobucket.com/albums/...ngPaint001.mp4
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Kfxguy
Registered User
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 1,046


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman...View Post
Looks nice!
I've used NuFinish on many of my past cars for decades. Love it.

I'm now using Collinite 845 and mixing it 50/50 with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. That formulation seems to be holding up the best for me in the hot florida sun. I get about 4 months out of it before the water beading goes away, so I re-apply it 3x's per year on all of my vehicles.

Between waxes, I wash and use Aerolon's Tech Shine when drying the surface. It's a wet-applied paint sealant and does a fairly good job on helping preserve the water beading. It does not hold up too long though by itself (without a wax coating). Durability of the Tech Shine, without a waxed surface, is about a month.


Thx! I canít wait to see how long this will last. Car sits covered most of its life except when I drive it to work. Lately Iíve been driving it a lot. Nu finish is UV blocking, a lot of waxes arenít. Thatís one main reason I used it. You are supposed to reapply it at 30 days for maximum protection so I think Iím going to do that.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
yellow
Registered User
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 16


Offline
Super noice!!!
Cool rims and splitter too!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 03:40 AM   #5
Blue Dream
Registered User
 
Blue Dream's Avatar
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: By the sea, Tx
Posts: 689
Premium Member


Offline
I've used too many detailing products over the years to list, much less remember on the car. For a few years Zaino was my fascination then I got tired of how much it cost. I switched to a combination of Natty's Blue wax/Menzerna (Now Jescar) Power Lock sealant. Fantastic results but barely lasted 2 months before needing to re-apply. Last year after doing lot of research I decided to try a ceramic coating and I'm also a big fan of Optimum products so with some suggestions from a friend that's a professional detailer I bought the Gloss Coat. It's a commercial product that closely mimics their Opti-Coat but with less longevity, typically 2-3 years for the GC. The bottle of GC covered the GTO and I have plenty left over to do the whole car again. At $60 for the bottle I'd say I got my money's worth. It's been on for almost a year and I'm really happy that it looks/performs as well as it did new.

I use their ONR for washing and Hyper Seal sparingly each wash to maintain the coating and it's amazing. These show the car last year when I was done, it took me about 14 hours over 2 days to wash/clay/buff/Opti-Coat my girl but to only have to do that every 2 years is well worth it. Car looks exactly the same when washed today, needless to say I'm happy with it.

P.S. The pics are unedited straight from the camera

20180726_173917 by on Flickr

20180726_173935 by on Flickr

IMG_0745 by on Flickr

IMG_0744 by on Flickr

IMG_0749 by on Flickr

IMG_0751 (1) by on Flickr
__________________
"There are really just 5 simple lessons to life: Be honest, work hard, have fun, be grateful and pay it forward."
Bruce Halle RIP

1 of 101, enough said

Last edited by Blue Dream; 05-06-2019 at 03:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
Kfxguy
Registered User
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 1,046


Offline
Drove the car to work today. One thing I noticed is it’s not a frigging dust magnet like the previous waxes I’ve used. That’s a huge plus!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
Kfxguy
Registered User
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 1,046


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dream...View Post
I've used too many detailing products over the years to list, much less remember on the car. For a few years Zaino was my fascination then I got tired of how much it cost. I switched to a combination of Natty's Blue wax/Menzerna (Now Jescar) Power Lock sealant. Fantastic results but barely lasted 2 months before needing to re-apply. Last year after doing lot of research I decided to try a ceramic coating and I'm also a big fan of Optimum products so with some suggestions from a friend that's a professional detailer I bought the Gloss Coat. It's a commercial product that closely mimics their Opti-Coat but with less longevity, typically 2-3 years for the GC. The bottle of GC covered the GTO and I have plenty left over to do the whole car again. At $60 for the bottle I'd say I got my money's worth. It's been on for almost a year and I'm really happy that it looks/performs as well as it did new.

I use their ONR for washing and Hyper Seal sparingly each wash to maintain the coating and it's amazing. These show the car last year when I was done, it took me about 14 hours over 2 days to wash/clay/buff/Opti-Coat my girl but to only have to do that every 2 years is well worth it. Car looks exactly the same when washed today, needless to say I'm happy with it.

P.S. The pics are unedited straight from the camera

20180726_173917 by on Flickr

20180726_173935 by on Flickr

IMG_0745 by on Flickr

IMG_0744 by on Flickr

IMG_0749 by on Flickr

IMG_0751 (1) by on Flickr



Nice. Thanks for the pics. I may ceramic coat my car one day but I need to paint the front bumper cover first.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 04:23 AM   #8
gto57
Is that FWD?
 
gto57's Avatar
 
2004 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 958


Offline
You car looks amazing, great reflection on Red.

I have been using Meguiar's stuff for years, but switched to Chemical Guys line of products.






__________________
2004 GTO - Quicksilver A4 (437rwhp 371rwtq)

Engine Mods: Livernois Stage III LS6 heads/cam | Cam - [email protected], Lift .568", LSA 114
Fast LSXr 102mm | LPE 100MM MAF | 105MM Accufab TB
SvedeSpeed OTRCAI | JBA Shorty Headers | JBA Mids w/cats | JBA Split Catback

Appearance: Banshee Hood | Banshee Dual Exhaust Inserts | DBA Slotted Rotors
Ace Alloy AFF02 Black Chrome, 19" staggered setup.

Drivetrain : | DSS CF Driveshaft | Gforce Half Shafts | Inner Axle Stubs
3200 Vigilante Single Disc



Last edited by gto57; 05-07-2019 at 04:32 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 04:35 AM   #9
Blue Dream
Registered User
 
Blue Dream's Avatar
 
2006 GTO Owner

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: By the sea, Tx
Posts: 689
Premium Member


Offline
57 looking great as well. Glad to see Goat owners taking pride in their exteriors as well as building badass motors.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 AM   #10
Kfxguy
Registered User
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 1,046


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow...View Post
Super noice!!!
Cool rims and splitter too!


THANKS!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
kurazy kracka
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: va
Posts: 98


Offline
Car looks great. I've been using Blackfire on my car recently, I'm not a wax connoisseur but I like it thus far.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
Kfxguy
Registered User
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 1,046


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurazy kracka...View Post
Car looks great. I've been using Blackfire on my car recently, I'm not a wax connoisseur but I like it thus far.


thx. im no wax connoisseur either and I hate waxing, so I'm trying to find a wax to cut my maintenance down. I'm hoping this lasts at least 6 months. If it goes 12 months as alot of people claim and what the company advertises, I'll be ecstatic.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #13
kurazy kracka
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: va
Posts: 98


Offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy...View Post
thx. im no wax connoisseur either and I hate waxing, so I'm trying to find a wax to cut my maintenance down. I'm hoping this lasts at least 6 months. If it goes 12 months as alot of people claim and what the company advertises, I'll be ecstatic.

The one thing i LOVE about the Blackfire midnight sun wax is it is extremely user friendly. I've never see na wax that applies so easily and buffs off just as easy.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #14
Kfxguy
Registered User
 
Kfxguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Denham Springs
Posts: 1,046


Offline
Got my first rain today. So I figured I’d take some pics to show the water beading. I’ll try to do this again in a month along with how many times I washed it.








  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #15
morrison2951
2005 Pontiac GTO CGM A4
 
morrison2951's Avatar
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: F-V, NC
Posts: 394


Offline
Here's my '05 CGM after some TLC: Love this color!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150423_185310_1557780331142.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	492657  
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #16
wakegto
Registered User
 
2005 GTO Owner

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chester Springs, PA
Posts: 5


Offline
Anybody using P and S products? Bead Maker and Brake Buster in particular.
Easy application and great results. Inexpensive also. I'm a fan.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help!!! My car was STOLEN this morning!! GotV8 South Western 43 11-16-2007 10:36 AM
Warning to AZ peope, don't take your car to Henry Brown EvilGoat South Western 7 05-12-2007 02:27 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:51 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.