Strut Bushings Different - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Suspension/Steering/Brakes

Old 04-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Strut Bushings Different

Ordered the Whiteline strut bushings with bearings kit back in 2016. Installed and driven for about 1000 miles. One side of the car was a bit lower than the other plus there was a faint squeak coming from the front. Purchased Pedders struts and after assembly noticed that the bushings are different! At the time when I installed them I did one side at a time so not able to compare. I assume the one with the washer sitting lower is correct. Both nuts torqued to 58. Top of strut same height.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Jontall
1 of 262

2006 GTO Owner

They have a lifetime warranty so contact the vender.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
Duckman
Kollar Racing Products

2004 GTO Owner

Customer has been advised on how to proceed

NEED TECHNICAL SUPPORT? SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE EVERYDAY 8AM-8PM EST

631-902-2276
http://kollarracingproducts.com/
[email protected]
GREAT PARTS, GREAT PRICES, FAST SHIPPING.....

Old 04-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Thanks Andy. I am still perplexed on why one is wrong. Keep searching strut mounts and checking images. Does the strut retaining plate sit on the washer in the last pic correct? Fourth or fifth pic, which one is correct?
Old 04-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

It looks like one is collapsed.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
Jontall
1 of 262

2006 GTO Owner

https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attach...1&d=1555964063

https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attach...1&d=1555964074
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.gif
Views:	60
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	492349   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.gif
Views:	56
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	492351  
Old 04-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Swapped strut bushings and same situation. So bushings are fine. Why is one side higher? Spring? And per the pictures, which one is correct??
Old 04-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Something must not be seated right, then.

I would check to make sure the lower washer as well as the bearing are seating. Make sure nothing is installed upside down.

Last edited by Nothubertjfarnsworth; 04-28-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
Duckman
Kollar Racing Products

2004 GTO Owner

I suspect you looking for a problem that may not exist. Install it in the car. Make sure the spring marked DS is in the driver side PS is on the passenger side. There is a minor difference between Driver Side and Passenger side springs.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

I installed the Lovells a few years ago on the stock struts with Koni inserts. Ever since there was an annoying squeak afterwards. Noticed that one side of front of the car was lower. Drove about 1000 miles in over two years so not much use.

Present day, as posted above, change struts and now here I am again. This time doing both sides at once instead of one at a time which didnt allow me to compare.

Replaced the strut bushings with a new set and back to where I started. I am now leaning towards the springs are different heights since I do torque down the main nut to 58 ft lbs. Count the exposed threads and same on each one.

The most wonkiest shit is going on.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

i don't think it's spring height.

it shouldn't affect how the mount, bearing, upper spring seat, and washers fit together. those are a set size/thickness and should all sit the same. if you have the same amount of stud showing on both struts, then if everything is put together correctly, they should sit the same. one strut might sit more extended than the other if the spring height is indeed different, but everything from the upper spring seat on up should look the same.

one thing i should ask, is how you have the upper spring seats oriented. they have a notch that is supposed to point in a certain direction in relation to the strut when installed. the spring seat is not plumb, and it kind of matters how it is oriented. not sure if this would cause what you are seeing, though.

also wondering about how the washers and bearings are sitting underneath the mounts, still.

like the pics jontall posted, everything is sandwiched together. the upper dished washer should sit concave side up, right up against the center part of the bush. there should be nothing in between, and no space. the bottom dished washer should be concave side facing down, butted right up against the center of the mount, and right against the ridge at the end of the threaded part of the nut. no space. one big metal and polyurethane oreo.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #12
itslow
TACHNUP

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
i don't think it's spring height.

it shouldn't affect how the mount, bearing, upper spring seat, and washers fit together. those are a set size/thickness and should all sit the same...

Exactly.

Anything below the rubber mount is irrelevant to how the upper washer (retainer), nut, and stop plate fit in relation to the upper surface of the mount.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
Jontall
1 of 262

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman...View Post
I suspect you looking for a problem that may not exist. Install it in the car. Make sure the spring marked DS is in the driver side PS is on the passenger side. There is a minor difference between Driver Side and Passenger side springs.

Andy, I believe this is backwards... In Australia, the drivers-side is on the right so the spring marked DS should be installed on the left side on a USA model.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #14
Sacrifice

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontall...View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman...View Post

Andy, I believe this is backwards... In Australia, the drivers-side is on the right so the spring marked DS should be installed on the left side on a USA model.

The driver is also on that side...youd have a taller spring for whichever side the extra weight usually is
Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
Jontall
1 of 262

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrifice...View Post
The driver is also on that side...youd have a taller spring for whichever side the extra weight usually is

I don't know what you just said, but the taller spring is installed on the side where the driver sits; left for USA, right for Australia. I had to call King Springs in Australia for this information years ago when I was installing their springs.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #16
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontall...View Post
I don't know what you just said, but the taller spring is installed on the side where the driver sits; left for USA, right for Australia. I had to call King Springs in Australia for this information years ago when I was installing their springs.

really? wow.

so what happens when you have a passenger? your junk leans?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #17
Abs
Freedom Fighter

2004 GTO Owner

My two cents here. It might help or it might cloud. I installed new Monroe struts last year with superpro mounts and my front passenger side sat higher after the install. However, it did before too with my old banged out OEM struts.

This annoyed me and even though it took me the better part of a day, I removed both struts, checked both spring seats, and they pointed inward toward the motor as they should. I was still using my OE springs because I read that it was mainly the rears that sucked and I had no problems in the front.

So I figured, well maybe one spring is off and warped or something. Springs look identical, so I disassembled both struts again and swapped the drivers side spring with the passenger, put everything back together again, and the passenger side still sits higher by about a half inch.

I have read on here from other people that they had the same issue with the passenger side front being higher for whatever reason. Maybe that fender is warped from a previous accident? I don't know. There are a couple ride height threads where owners had talked about this. Maybe this is also affecting you? I don't know how to explain why your mounts look different though.
2004 GTO bought 9/30/04. 05-06 Front calipers, DBA T2 Front Rotors, Akebono front pads, 05-06 rear AC Delco vented rotors, Lovells 20mm drop rear springs with 16mm whiteline spacers, Monroe Spectrum struts and shocks, Front and Rear Superpro Strut Bar bushings, Superpro Diff Insert, K&N Air Filter
Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #18
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

No accidents and stock setup ride height was fine. I am going to disassemble everything, again, and inspect the cupped washers. The DS spring is a bit higher but how does that explain why the top cupped washer sits more into the strut mount. The PS side setup the cupped washer sits higher on the strut mount.

Is the spring causing the top cupped washer to sit differently on each strut? When installed in the car will the strut top plate that is tightened down with the final strut nut continue to rub against the top cupped washer? I would think that the top strut cover plate setting on the strut mount and not the cupped washer would be proper.

Really quick R/R'ing the setup now. Scored this offset wrench which allows me to tighten the strut nut.

https://www.wihatools.com/insulated-...et-wrench-24mm
Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #19
itslow
TACHNUP

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
really? wow.

so what happens when you have a passenger? your junk leans?

More or less. If the car is set up to be perfectly level with no occupants, then when it only has a driver it'll lean towards that side.

Often the OE's spec different springs for each corner to account for the differing corner weights caused by whatever is mounted on that side/end/corner (occupant, battery, fuel tank, etc.).
Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #20
Abs
Freedom Fighter

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFSADRG...View Post
No accidents and stock setup ride height was fine. I am going to disassemble everything, again, and inspect the cupped washers. The DS spring is a bit higher but how does that explain why the top cupped washer sits more into the strut mount. The PS side setup the cupped washer sits higher on the strut mount.

Is the spring causing the top cupped washer to sit differently on each strut? When installed in the car will the strut top plate that is tightened down with the final strut nut continue to rub against the top cupped washer? I would think that the top strut cover plate setting on the strut mount and not the cupped washer would be proper.

Really quick R/R'ing the setup now. Scored this offset wrench which allows me to tighten the strut nut.

https://www.wihatools.com/insulated-...et-wrench-24mm

damn 70 bucks! My super pro bushings came with a flat washer, so it was easier. Cant use a torque wrench with either though.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #21
Abs
Freedom Fighter

2004 GTO Owner

What is under your washer? Mine sits flush atop the bush
Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #22
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Same as the other side. First cupped washer curving up, strut spring seat with bump stop, strut mount with bearing yellow facing down, cupped washer curving down on top, and then nut torqued to 58.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #23
Shock Tuner

2005 GTO Owner

Post #1 fifth pic looks correct - there's a gap between the top dished washer/rubber ring and the strut mount. But the fourth pic looks wrong - no gap. The dished top washer keeps the strut from falling out when the car's on a hoist (or gets airborne) but otherwise should NOT contact the sheet metal on top of the strut tower - that could be the source of your squeak. Check that both dished washers have the same amount of dish, and the same amount of rubber on the working side.

Pics 2 and 3 show a clear difference between the two mounts - unless there's an extra washer that's glued itself to the bottom of the small cupped washer.

Lay out all your parts side by side....keep measuring things until you find something that's different...and refer back to the cross-section posted by Jontall to make sure everything is oriented correctly. Take your time - good luck!
Pedders fast rack w/4-pass cooler
Street: 245/45 & 265/40, BBS RG-R 17x9 & 17x9.8
Auto-X: Neova AD08 265/35 & 285/30, TR Motorsport MT-1 18x9 & 18x9.9
Vararam, SLP 455 tune, Kooks Signature Series w/cats, Magnaflow, TrueTrac
Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #24
Abs
Freedom Fighter

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFSADRG...View Post
Same as the other side. First cupped washer curving up, strut spring seat with bump stop, strut mount with bearing yellow facing down, cupped washer curving down on top, and then nut torqued to 58.

I think I describe the curves opposite of you but I think we mean the same thing. But it really looks in pic 3 that something is between the washer and the strut mount causing the washer to be raised. I dont know what that is. Maybe the strut mount for that side is just thicker on top but it doesnt seem right.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #25
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Tuner...View Post
Post #1 fifth pic looks correct - there's a gap between the top dished washer/rubber ring and the strut mount. But the fourth pic looks wrong - no gap.

That's what I needed to know, thanks!
Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #26
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I wonder what would happen if one of the washers had a hole that was a lil bit too big...
Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #27
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Keeping the correct strut intact I uninstalled the suspect strut. Found that I installed the first cupped washer up side down. Oops, user error. Upon installed the strut setup the strut plate kept seating at an angle. When tightening the top nut I had to really make sure the plate was centered.

Struts are in the car. Now can move on to some other pending items. Ugh, can't believe I flip flopped that washer. Thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: