Check alternator after high rpm - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Electronics

Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
Kfxguy

Check alternator after high rpm

So I was out playing a little bit. I rolled into it in first then nailed it. It spun a little bit and it stayed at about 6700-6800 for a little bit and I had to let out around 80 mph because it started to walk sideways. Well when I let off, the battery light started a intermittent flashing. Then the check alternator warning cane on. Stayed on for a minute or so and went off. Then came back. I continued my drive home noting that nothing was going dim. When I pulled up in the driveway and let it idle for a minute, it stopped flashing and appeared to go back to normal. Fluke? Alternator going out?

Tid bits of info.

-Oreilly alternator. Maybe 1-1.5 years old.
-Itís been whining at idle for a while now.
-New premium heavy duty battery.
-Under drive pulley so the rpm was less than it would have been with a stock pulley.
-battery cables tight. Not corroded.
-4 ga ground strap added to engine block to battery
-starter rebuilt a couple hundred miles ago
-no lights flicker, no dimming. Seems to be charging because I can hear the alternator

Should I just swap alternators? Got a lifetime warranty

Hereís the shenanigans I was attempting

https://youtu.be/cRWeV43Zo5U
ss3200 yank
[email protected] 125 8psi (ish) (on 12psi now)
kinda slow but not really
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Squag27

2006 GTO Owner

Maybe check it at the battery with a multimeter to see? You have an '04 so you can rev the engine from the engine bay to see what it does at rpm as well
Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squag27...View Post
Maybe check it at the battery with a multimeter to see? You have an '04 so you can rev the engine from the engine bay to see what it does at rpm as well

I'll do that tonight. It was late last night and the wife was sleeping. She hates the car and wish it would get sold or burn to the ground, so i didnt wanna let it run any longer than it took me to park it. lol. I ordered a new alternator because this one has been whining anyways.

Watch this idle video, you can hear the whining really good.

https://youtu.be/CQlfOxMme4Q

Last edited by Kfxguy; 05-15-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Fox Mulder
Alien Moderator

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Check the belt and tensioner, it could be worn or loose enough to slip at very high RPM's.
The whining may or may not be a bad alternator. It could also be a weak battery, heavy charging will load the alternator enough for it to make some noise.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Kfxguy

I didn’t get to check anything. I called oreilly today and they ordered another alternator my son was home early from work so he took it off for me. The belt is a pretty new gates. Tensioner feels strong. I’m chalking it up to the oreilly alternator for now. I’ll finf out after I put the new one on I guess. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar issue after a high rpm blast.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
Kfxguy

Well flock. I put a new alternator on. Was fine for about half an hour. Then the battery light flashed real quick. Then about a minute it did it again. And it got worse the more I drove. Then the check alternator warning would sporadically pop up until finally it stayed on. I stopped by a buddies house and checked voltage. It’s charging. The belt isn’t slipping. Car cranks fine. Can’t find any wires loose. Battery cables secure. Grounds under the hood is good. I beat on the dash. I beat on the area where the computer is. I shuffled around the passenger area where the wires are. Nothing made a difference.

My buddy said he had some loose grounds behind the gauge cluster. Not sure what else to check. I disconnected the battery for day also.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
Kfxguy

More weirdness. So I go to a car show tonight. That’s where I was headed when it came on (check alternator). Cut car off for a while. Leave, it’s still there. But I get on it hard and it goes off. Never to come back on. I thrashed it and did some full throttle tuning and it still did not come back on. Something loose somewhere. Has to be.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

did you check the 2-way connector on the alternator?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #9
Kfxguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
did you check the 2-way connector on the alternator?

yea, about that..... my 19 year old son swapped alternators for me. I was working. I asked him last night if the connector looked corroded or dirty and he said he didnt pay attention.

so heres what im, going to do when i get home today.
check alternator plug.
check starter cables (i did have the starter off)
clean battery terminals
make sure ground is good on the back of the engine

I will report back and post if I fix it or not. If I actually figure out what caused it, I will post that too.

Too many dead end threads with no solution and thats agitating. I hate that. They probably figured it out but didnt post back to follow up.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #10
Kfxguy

Well I may have found the problem. The plug that goes in the side of the alternator was unplugged lol. I guess my son didn’t snap it in all the way, it was just dangling. I plugged it in and made sure it snapped in. I haven’t driven it yet but I hope that fixed it. Lmao.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #11
Kfxguy

Ok. I’ve come to a conclusion.
1) first alternator was whining. Seemed to get worse Over time. Then when I held it at almost 7 grand for a few seconds, it finished it off. That’s conclusion one.
2) evidently my son didn’t snap the plug in all the way in the alternator when he changed it. So the plug worked it’s way loose on a drive. So I snapped it back in. Drove it all weekend and never came back on. I rode around for about two hours last night and ran several errands today. So luckily that’s my solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: