Speaker Upgrade(Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS) - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Electronics

Old 04-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
Chi06SRGTO

2006 GTO Owner

Speaker Upgrade(Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS)

Ok, so I've tried to do my research and my due diligence here, but I'm a newbie to component speakers. Bear with me, as I've never worked with them before. I replaced the stock HU with a Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS about 4 years ago. I would now like to replace the stock door speakers and dash tweeters with a decent component set. I will likely replace the rear side panel speakers with a decent 2-way coax as well, as the passenger side sounds like it might be blown.

I just need to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I can run the crossovers off of the factory door speaker wires, correct? And then run wires from the crossovers, to the new subs in the doors, and the new tweeters in the dash?

The HU I have is rated at 14 watts RMS CEA2006, 22 x 4 continuous, or 50 x 4 peak. I assume the factory wiring will be sufficient for this?

I still have no idea what to do with the factory rear "subs" that are in the rear deck, and the factory "amp". Leaving them for now.

Suggestions are welcome. Specifically, what component speakers would pair well with that HU. I don't need anything crazy, as I'm not much of an audiophile. I'm just looking for an upgrade over the factory speakers. I'm not really looking to install an amp for the components, or run a ton of new wire for the fronts, either.

Also, what size are the factory tweeters? It would be nice to not have to do anything crazy when swapping those out for the new component tweeters.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
whippersnapper02
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

https://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx

The factory wiring will work just fine for an aftermarket headunit. Looks like Metra makes speaker harnesses. You can run this to a crossover but you will have to run wires to aftermarket tweeters. I found a post where someone used a tweeter with a threaded hole in the center of the magnet for mounting here. I don't think there is a definitive size since they aren't mounted into an enclosure.

I've only swapped headunits in mine but want to swap all the speakers out at some point. I'm just researching for now.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Mick Naughty

2004 GTO Owner

I had to add a spacer as my screws were too long when mounting to the back of the tweeters. They are 1.5 I think but the standard 1" dome tweeters fit all the same.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
gixxer711

2005 GTO Owner

I just replaced the front and rear side speakers. I used the Metra 72-9300 but I had to swap the placement of the wires in the connector. Also, the factory locking clip on the car plug just hangs out on the side.

I used Alpine S-S65C for the front. The woofer has a crossover on it, so I just used the Metra connector from the factory wiring to the woofer. The tweeters have an inline crossover. So I clipped the factory plug off the stock tweeter and spliced the wiring to that so it could be plugged into the factory harness.

After changing all these speakers, it now sounds like the rear subs are going out.

Oh, I double side taped my tweeters to the factory tweeter bracket.
Volant intake
Tune
1-piece DSS driveshaft
Cold Case radiator

Last edited by gixxer711; 04-21-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: