So this is wheel hop? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 04-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
DangerNoodle
The battle of wits has begun.

2004 GTO Owner

So this is wheel hop?

First time driving my GTO as a manual. Whenever I give it full throttle and especially on shifts I get ridiculous metal banging. I assume this is the dreaded wheel hop.

My GTO as an auto with a 3800 stall only had this issue when it would down shift under WOT. But it would only do 1 "bang" then be fine. I spoke to the people that installed my differential (Walt and Frank former "Rocksand Racing") about the "bang" (back in 2010) and they both told me, .

I have:
Pedders rear springs and struts
polyurethane rear sub frame bushings
rear control arms have poly urethane bushings
I have a 2004 half shaft on the passenger side and a 2005-2006 half shaft on the driver side. (Essentially a diy anti wheel hop axles.)
I have the polyurethane diff. insert.

What else can I do to mitigate this issue?

Drag bags?

Does this issue even sound like "wheel hop"?
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Last edited by DangerNoodle; 04-23-2019 at 12:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Appears to be wheel hop. Get a real anti hop axle.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Is there a "oh shit somethings gonna break" vibration to go with the metal banging?

Wheel hop has caused me to do very few burnouts over the last 12 years.
Along with the clutch hydraulics have kept my gto in great shape.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

wheel hop is more like a dull thudding.

if you here a clanking noise, something's up.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
DangerNoodle

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
wheel hop is more like a dull thudding.

if you here a clanking noise, something's up.

Yeah, more of a clanking. I'm going to inspect all the bolts around my halfshafts / diff. Hope the diff isn't dying.

I've been trying to ignore most of the noises my car makes because:
Solid motor mounts.
Drivetrain tunnel around my shifter isn't properly sealed yet.
I removed the rear seats.
My exhaust needs to be welded.
List of excuses.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Probably something hitting. Look for witness marks, around the exhaust, suspension parts, etc.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
cookmeup272

Did someone say Wheel Hop

2004 GTO LS1 M6 - SBE, PRC 2.5 62cc Heads, PRC .660 springs, MagicStick v3 cam, Melling High Pressure oil pump, Cometic 0.040" headgasket, Trunion Upgrade, TSP 7.450" pushrods, LS7 Lifters, 42lb injectors, underdrive pulley, Mishimoto radiator, Awespeed intake, Kooks longtubes/Catless mids, Borla catback, Monster Stage 3, 15" Race Star's, MT ET Drags
Best run - 12.1 @ 115, 1.8 60' with above setup/275 Nitto 555r's
12.8 @ 108, 1.8 60' with OTRCAI/exhaust/555r's
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
LS3goatee
Repeat LS3 Swapper

2004 GTO Owner

Premium Member

150,xxx miles on my 04 M6. I've added a LS3, LSA blower, coilovers, Harrop diff, and gforce antiwheelhop axles and I don't have wheelhop, or at least not enough to notice. 275/40 Super sports that slip and slide btw. Everything else is stock, old bushings.

Before these mods, which were done essentially at the same time, I did have JARRING wheelhop (when I had wheelhop I only had coilovers and a cammed LS3 with 255/40 potenzas). This probably doesn't help much.. but just sharing my experience.

Wealth of information creates poverty of the mind
LS3, LSA Blower, ZL1 lid, LS9 cam, Tick oil pump, Howards springs/pushrods, ARP goodies
Longtubes + Carven 3" exhaust, NW 92MM TB, Moroso catch can
Camaro SS Brembos F/R, 19" forged wheels, BMR skid plate, 05/06 rear bumper
Ron Davis radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, ECU relocation, Tick adj. MC, SAP lower + CF Splitter
Gforce axles, Harrop diff cover, Megan coilovers
Custom Mavman CF cowl hood AND dash bezel
Old 04-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #9
Kfxguy

I'm glad i dont have wheel hop! all my suspension is stock except drag bags and i 'think' it has some aftermarket springs. i bet alignment has something to do with wheel hop too. Or is this just "manual" thing?
ss3200 yank
[email protected] 125 8psi (ish) (on 12psi now)
kinda slow but not really
Build thread https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837586
Old 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy...View Post
I'm glad i dont have wheel hop! all my suspension is stock except drag bags and i 'think' it has some aftermarket springs. i bet alignment has something to do with wheel hop too. Or is this just "manual" thing?

It's a semi-trailing arm IRS with soft suspension thing.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:43 AM   #11
DangerNoodle

2004 GTO Owner

Attempted to repair my clutch fluid leak without separating the transmission from the bell housing... I failed. So I started some of the tear down to do this repair properly.

Took down my exhaust and I started working on the driveshaft when I noticed I had scratch marks on it over my fresh paint. These scratch marks could only have happened if my drive shaft is moving and hitting the underside of the GTO. I took a closer look at my differential.

Took a photo of one of the bolts...

There is a gap between the bolt and the rear subframe. Under torque my whole damn differential is moving which is causing my single piece driveshaft to smack up against the underside of the car!

When my 1st differential died, I went to Rocksand Racing for a replacement. 01/13/2010. Ever since they installed the 2nd differential my GTO always made a loud "bang" when shifting from 2nd to 3rd under WOT.

Now that my GTO is a manual and making more torque, I assumed this constant banging was wheel hop when it's actually my differential bouncing up and down smacking the driveshaft into the rear seatbelt bolts / frame supports.

My plan / hope is to soak the bolts in PB Blast then attempt to tighten them with a box wrench and a pipe and pray I don't snap them.

I really don't want to lower my subframe to get proper access to the differential.

Last edited by DangerNoodle; 04-23-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #12
Glynn
Pontiac Fanboy

2006 GTO Owner

Sucks, but at least your found it.

It's a real pain trying to find a shop that cares about their work. I have yet to find one that didn't half-ass something or screw something up. 90% good isn't 100%.

2015 A6 SS w/:
Holden Bits|Warranty-Friendly Trinkets
Baby Mobile

2006 M6 GTO w/:
|Vararam|Ported TB/Intake|Kooks LTs|Magnaflow 2.5"|Pedders XA Supercars|Hotchkis Sways|4P CTS-V|LT1-S Twin|Billet Pro|Square 275/35 on 18x9et42|HINSON E&T Mounts|Whiteline, SuperPro, and Pedders Bushings|
John Doe's old ride. "1LE" GTO in progress...

1997 Grand Prix GT Sold
Old 04-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #13
cookmeup272

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerNoodle...View Post
My plan / hope is to soak the bolts in PB Blast then attempt to tighten them with a box wrench and a pipe and pray I don't snap them.

Might want to try loosening them first after spraying them and kinda work it a bit instead of just going straight to "tighten like a mf'er" mode.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:50 AM   #14
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

There's more than likely a reason why they weren't tightened completely. I'd try to get them out before cracking them off in the threads.
Might consider using a washer as a spacer instead of breaking them attempting to thread them down the rest of the way.

Last edited by LS2-GTO; 04-22-2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: english
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #15
Corndog
Hell pecker yeah

2005 GTO Owner

I've removed and installed quite a few GTO diffs and I have always found that the thread locker that the factory used to be a pain in the ass. I always chased the threads on the bolts and the holes in the diff housing, blew everything out with air and made sure it was all clean. Then on reassembly I would use fresh blue Loctite. I would recommend doing that. Unfortunately you will have better success if you remove the whole diff to do that. Looks like it needs to be done though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Lobo at GF8...
I'm gonna show you fairies how to skip.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...o/footlong.jpg
Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #16
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Removing the diff isn't difficult. Suggest removing the entire diff to do what Corndog mentioned, and get new bolts.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerNoodle...View Post
Attempted to repair my clutch fluid leak without separating the transmission from the bell housing... I failed. So I started some of the tear down to do this repair properly.

Took down my exhaust and I started working on the driveshaft when I noticed I had scratch marks on it over my fresh paint. These scratch marks could only have happened if my drive shaft is moving vertically. I took a closer look at my differential.

Took a photo of one of the bolts...

There is a gap between the bolt and the rear subframe. Under torque my whole damn differential is moving which is causing my single piece driveshaft to smack up against the underside of the car!

When my 1st differential died, I went to Rocksand Racing for a replacement. 01/13/2010. Ever since they installed the 2nd differential my GTO always made a loud "bang" from the rear when hitting the throttle and getting the car to down shift from 3rd to 2nd. But that's the only time it would do it. I asked about it, and I always got the "I don't know" response.

Now that my GTO is a manual and making more torque, I assumed this constant banging was wheel hop when it's actually my differential bouncing up and down smacking the driveshaft into the rear seatbelt bolts / frame supports.

Holeee crap.

Dat rust is gonna be a problem.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #18
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

PB blaster and a little heat, and tighten/loosen/tighten/loosen until you get it kinda free.

Then cross your fingers.

The bolt head is more likely to round off before anything snaps. Try using a 6pt box end of a combo wrench, and link another combo wrench on the open end for leverage.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
cookmeup272

Quote:
Try using a 6pt box end of a combo wrench, and link another combo wrench on the open end for leverage.

Yea you're gonna have to link some wrenches regardless of the rust
Old 04-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #20
blwnls1
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!

2004 GTO Owner

Yes, please remove and reinstall with new bolts, clean up the rust and chase the threads. Do it once and never worry about it again.
Glad you figured it out. Even more glad you posted the end results for future GTO folks!

Good luck

Twin Turbo Truck Manifold Build: https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...emade+tt+build
Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #21
DangerNoodle

2004 GTO Owner

Wish I had a house and garage. Takes a hour of driving to get from work to where my GTO is. Week days I only get 1 1/2 hours of daylight.

Figure I take a couple more photos of this misery.

Here's a good shot at the 2 front bolts.

Natural Habitat

I didn't get a photo of it, but I cut off the 1 seatbelt support and hammered the floor to make additional space for the drive shaft. I plan to fix the clutch leak 1st. Deal with the differential 2nd.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:33 AM   #22
DangerNoodle

2004 GTO Owner

Removed all the bolts, disconnected some cables, and hacked up a piece of wood to act as my "transmission jack".

Damn thing is being stubborn. Through wiggling and using 2 screw drivers I was only able to separate the transmission a little bit before it started raining, any reason this is being so difficult to slide out?

Wasn't always this rusty.

I had to leave the transmission like this, only the jack holding it up and the input shaft. Coming back Saturday to hopefully finish it.

I left the driveshaft yoke in the tail shaft of the t56 so it didn't dump its fluid.

DOT 3 is an amazing paint stripper. Good to know.

Yeah that's as far as I was able to get it so far, any tips / tricks I should know about?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:39 AM   #23
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

You must like superman.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #24
DangerNoodle

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
You must like superman.

Was going for american flag but got lazy.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #25
DangerNoodle

2004 GTO Owner

Fixed the clutch leak and installed my remote bleeder while I was at it.

Had to readjust the height of the jack to get the transmission to slide out nice and easy.

Discovered another issue. Boot on cv joint connecting to the diff. is split open.

You can see the grease splatter and how the driver side of my diff is all black and the passenger side is not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: