2006 GTO Owner

Any pics after ecb?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #63
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to MattGTO
agh sorry man ive been dipping the forums lately, my dr. had me on some decadron steroids which were making me super angry for no reason at all and i've been making a path of destruction haha but now im back and off steroids woo!

i do have some pics and i should update this thread. so here it goes...

drifting the car at East Coast Bash..... the car sucked ass. I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt get angle, the top strut bolt on the passenger side kept backing out causing the camber in the front right wheel to go positive at times. One of the steering rack bolts rattled loose, etc etc. By the end of the day i just decided to put it back on the trailer and not come back out until i figured these problems out. there were some cool snaps taken though....

the pics make the car look awesome lmao! however i didnt like it and i had to go back to the workshop with it.

I found a couple things with it. The knuckles on an 04 are much different than 05-06 which i didnt know. when you have knuckles modified the mounting point of the tie rod is brought closer to the hub, on an 05-06 this requires the bumpstop on the knuckle be removed. on an 04 the bumpstop is not on the knuckle it is actually on the control arm which i didnt know so it has since been cut completely off and now the angle is pretty good.

The steering rack bolt has since backed out AGAIN. i wont use loc-tite on it. theres certain things i firmly believe should not be thread locked so i just retightened it and hopefully it's ok.

i blew the rear passenger o2 sensor out of the header because of a defective bung which i've had replaced and is now good to go.

the strut bolts i completely removed, scuffed the paint of the coilover and made them as tight as i could humanly get them and theyve been good since.

here's the current problem i have and i will be making a project out of it. The hydro ebrake only works if i preload it using the brake pedal lightly. It works really well in wet conditions but other than that i'm relatively unhappy with it. I will be making a dual caliper setup for this car and i'll be sure to do a detailed writeup in this build thread.

I've since drifted the car with the few problems fixed and it actually feels pretty good now. There's only a few things i still want to work on with the car now and thats the weight of the car, the handbrake, and the power. I'd like another 50-100 hp but thats next seasons project, heads and cam.

Theres a big import show at NJMP this weekend and they are holding a drifting demo so we'll see how it does there.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #64
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

i got a little bit of love in this video like an accumulated 4 seconds haha
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 PM   #65
hazzywayy

2006 GTO Owner

Awesome thread man, keep it up.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:02 AM   #66
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzywayy...View Post
Awesome thread man, keep it up.

Thank you, I lost interest in this thread for a while because of the annoyances I've had with the car but it's all getting better
Old 10-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #67
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Since my last update, I have grenade a diff, replaced it, had major steering difficulties that I'm not too sure that I have remedied, got new wheels and lug nuts, replaced the steering rack, replaced the whiteline strut bushings with the whiteline offset camber bushings, completely removed my bumpstps for more angle and some other small stuff hopefully i'll have some pics up shortly.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #68
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Alrighty, so since the last update some new things have happened, i blew a welded differential for one... the bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier sheared off (maybe i didnt torque them well enough?) ultimately shredding everything in the differential apart and making metal soup.

someone in philadelphia happened to have another blown one laying around in their shop so i scooped it up in hopes i could salvage the few things i needed and i succeded so for 75 bucks i got the diff and succesfully rebuilt mine and rewelded the new spider gears.

I got offset strut mount bushings to try to fix my hard steering issue, i installed a new steering rack and flushed the P/S system but i still dont think it helped me much. so we'll see what happens with that. the car has been off the ground for a few months now so i wont know until the new wheels are fitted and tires go on, etc.

So yeah, new wheels! theyre really just the same thing as the old wheels however when i ordered my cosmis wheels, they sent me the wrong ones. they finally got the right ones in and i even bought a fresh set of lug nuts to go with them!

(warning, if you're not into stance or wheel fitment please just move along and dont comment. to each their own and this is what i like.)

They are Cosmis XT-005R 18x9 +25 in the front and 18X10 +20 in the rear, in order to get the rear to sit flat against the rotor i had to grind down the center of the hub

Last edited by MattGTO; 10-15-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #69
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

I also picked up a set of 243 heads with comp dual springs and other comp cams stuff. not sure what im going to use of it i only purchased because i got a great deal on it

I also got a set of rear calipers for my dual rear brake caliper setup for the hand brake.

I was having additional steering angle problems as well so i dove back into the issue and found that i hadnt removed enough of the bump stop off of the control arms for the knuckles. I now have great steering angle.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #70
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

I just finished putting fresh plugs NGK TR55 and MSD wires on it as well because there was an issue with the plugs the previous owner had installed but it was no big deal Texas Speed had a deal on both for 80 bucks. thanks Texas Speed!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #71
LS2-GTO
1 of 40,757

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Glad you're back on track.
Your progress makes me feel lazy.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #72
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2-GTO...View Post
Glad you're back on track.
Your progress makes me feel lazy.

HAHA! i PROMISE you I am not as proactive as this thread makes me seem!!! =P

thanks for commenting!
Old 01-20-2015, 03:52 AM   #73
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Hey guys i have some updates, i bought fender flares made for a 70's Datsun 240Z and retrofitted them to my GTO.

This is where i've found many GTO owners get upset with me but please understand if this car was immaculate when i bought it I wouldnt have done this. The car when i bought it was bought solely for the purpose of being modified HEAVILY.

I cut the quarter panels out of the car and added these fender flares, i will be posting pics later today or tomorrow at some point. I actually really like them and can't wait to add "welting" and get the car painted.

heres a teaser pic for now

I had custom wheel spacers made for these wheels to make my effective offsets -20 in the front and -18 in the rear with 18x10 and 18x9 wheels.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #74
Bigblu

oohhhh flares. they look good man, keep up the good work
Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 AM   #75
Rotter21
Banned

2005 GTO Owner

I like the idea of the flafes.. just think the wheels and flares stuck oit too much on the rear?
Looks badass either way. Something different also
Old 02-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #76
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu...View Post
oohhhh flares. they look good man, keep up the good work

thank you so much man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotter21...View Post
I like the idea of the flafes.. just think the wheels and flares stuck oit too much on the rear?
Looks badass either way. Something different also

thank you! and surprisingly they do not rub nor are the tires stretched. I'm into this type of fitment and i know not everyone is but i like it. the effective wheel offsets are now -20 in the front and -18 in the rear, i could really fit a pretty large tire back there if i wanted to also which is pretty cool.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #77
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

bought more parts, spent more time, made some stuff,

I guess i'll start here, someone asked me for a pic of the wheel spacers i had made by adapter kings

pretty happy with these, high grade wheel studs used, nice aluminum pieces one set is 1.4 inches and the other is 1.8 i believe

heres some more stuff that i bought,

seat brackets from planted technologies. My girlfriend nor many passengers could really see what was going on outside the car since the seat sat too low. Planteds bracket gives me enough adjustability to bring it up so that this can change. this was for the passenger side. you can see the two new ones in comparison to the short old one.

Sparco seat sliders, im on the fence with this product, i still have to play with the passenger side, the drivers side moves very smoothly however the passenger side is a little tough to move. may just need an adjustment.

GForce camlock belts. For the price this is my favorite belt to use. these have to be recertified or thrown away after a certain amount of time so spending a ton of money on belts doesnt usually seem like a great way to spend money. These are definitely safe and i've crashed with these before. kept me safe... gonna keep using them.

GForce Pro Eliminator Carbon Fiber Helmet SA2010. This thing is great. I've been using a GForce helmet for 5 years now and i loved it. This year my SA2005 helmet has to be retired due to age. I bought the exact same model i had but in carbon fiber. The carbon fiber one is probably 2lbs lighter. 2lbs off the weight of your helmet can make a huuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Then i did some stuff, The VHT roll bar and chassis paint sucked terribly for the floor pan, rubbed right off. In my 240SX I used an industrial enamel in white and it was incredibly strong and even came out relatively glossy. I decided to do this again on the floor of this car and it came out awesome, here's a before and after

Old 03-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #78
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

My hydraulic ebrake from ASD is a really sweet piece of equipment however the wilwood "pass-thru" master cylinder couldnt provide enough braking power to stop the rear wheels so i decided to get rid of the pass through and go with an individual reservoir and dual caliper setup in the rear. For those of you that arent sure what that means is that i'm going to isolate the rear hydraulic handbrake system from my regular braking system by adding a second caliper to each rear wheel and run a completely separated brake system for the hand brake.

here you can see the old setup with two lines coming out of it, this worked by just being in line with the rear brake lines. when you pulled up on the hand brake it would apply pressure to only the rear brakes. This system could only provide a certain amount of pressure this way so this is what i'm currently working on

Granted the rear calipers will be cleaned and painted as well as all new pads and rotors will be installed. the cylinder you can see above has it's own reservoir and only one line that will go directly to the calipers.

I also bought a new steering wheel quick release, mine was beginning to wear out and had some serious play in it. Instead of making it dangerous for me i decided to buy an NRG steering wheel quick release

Here's a few pics of the fender flare setup with the wider back wheels.

and her's a shot i took of the inside of the car because i love this roll cage and i just love this car!

All that wiring was hanging up on the cage from when i was painting the floor, it all got loomed and taped off so i could keep the interior somewhat tidy

thats the update for now, it goes for the vinyl wrap as soon as i get the rear control arms back in and the caliper setup done. few more weeks and hopefully ill be done for a while and just doing a lot of drifting.

(i will eventualy do my motor build but for right now i just want to drive the smurfing car
Old 03-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #79
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

https://youtu.be/zH1Kjs0ASCc

forgot about this gem! on car footage from last july!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH1Kjs0ASCc

Last edited by MattGTO; 03-19-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #80
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

The dual caliper setup starting to come together, still having PS issues but hopefully ill be able to completely focus on that soon and fully work it out. The power steering and the hydro ebrake are my only two things i have left to do.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #81
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

now that this car is finally coming together, im going to get it wrapped in the next week or so. the power steering seems like its fine right now and im hoping it was just air in the lines after pump replacement. I bled the ebrake last night and it seems good to go.

I'm going to be testing the car at East Coast Bash this year which is later in may if anyone in the jersey region is interested in checking out.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:04 AM   #82
Kingsize
Will Admin for coffee.

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I really feel pulling that rear wing off, would make the car look so much better, especially with the flares you have on it now. JMHO
Old 05-06-2015, 03:20 AM   #83
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsize...View Post
I really feel pulling that rear wing off, would make the car look so much better, especially with the flares you have on it now. JMHO

i actually completely agree with that, i am going to take the wing off at some point before the wrap. I wish i could find a lip that i like too =\ i actually really would be ok with just a splitter but i havent seen anything im really that interested in.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #84
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Im having some power steering issues now. i replaced the pump with a reman unit and my problem still exists. I just ordered a new ACDelco pump off of rockauto for 421 doll hairs so hopefully that fixes it ::fingerscrossed::
Old 05-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #85
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

So after finally working out 95% of my power steering issues i decided it was a good time to give it another go and hit the track finally after a 1 year hiatus

Old 07-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #86
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

So after a long two years I've reached this point with the car and i'm probably going to halt production for a while. I've been driving it around and enjoying the hell out of it. I love this car so much. I still have much i want to do with the car but for now this is where i'm going to leave her alone for a while.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #87
Nomad GTO

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I love it!! Its nice to see these cars cut up and fabricated to your desire!!!!
MGWp
Magnaflow/Volant/Pacesetter
Energy Suspension full bushings
Maverick Man 4300 kw 35W HID
Maverick Man fiberglass rear diffuser
Wrecked front end and saved!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #88
SpiceredLS2GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Did you have to modify the offset strut mounts to make them work? I already ordered a set and was under the assumption they needed some modifying.

Down but not Out
HCI 2006 SRM M6 GTO
Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #89
MattGTO
GTslOw

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceredLS2GTO...View Post
Did you have to modify the offset strut mounts to make them work? I already ordered a set and was under the assumption they needed some modifying.

call me crazy but i think i did have to do something weird with these. I had an adapter for my coilovers but i think they bolt right to stock suspension or factory style struts without adapter
Old 07-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #90
SpiceredLS2GTO

2006 GTO Owner

Yeah I got the ones with the coilover adapter but read they needed modification. Like welding a nut on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: