Planning to do a DIY remote start with an arduino Micro-controller? - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Electronics

Old 07-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
05silgto

2005 GTO Owner

Planning to do a DIY remote start with an arduino Micro-controller?

Hello.
Recently I made my own fuel pump speed controller using an arduino board and h-bridge.

Now I am in the planning stage to make my own remote start using a arduino board connected to a Bluetooth module and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.

Now I understand that in order to keep my stock security system I will need to sacrifice a key fob, which is perfect since my battery on my 3rd key is dead anyway. Based on my research it looks like I just need to solder the key blade portion to the ignition ground, key nub portion to the other ignition wire with a relay which when activated by arduino via remote start will bypass the security system.
I believe I read on another forum that you can access both these wires under the column.

Now, how would I go about staring the car after? I assume I would need to add another relay to make a connection to start the car? Would this be a temporary connection just during the cranking or would in need to be permanent? Also how would I go about turning off the car remotely?

I looked up quite a bit of remote start install threads but they don't really go into much detail about how everything works. Since i'm going to make my own I need to know more info on the exact behavior of the ignition electrical system/how a remote start interacts with the system.

Also I read on another old forum someone stating "One good thing about GTO’s is that it has a safety remote wire that you can connect to your alarm/starter that prevents the car to start in the gear."

That's all that was mentioned about that wire and I was wondering if anyone new more about this mystery wire? My car is a manual but I never leave my car in gear anyway, never had an issue and I have owned this car for over 6 years. Figured I would do it right anyway if I could just in case.

Also I don't care about having to put the key in the ignition after remote start in order to drive. Doors will be locked and this will only be used at home during cold weather. Don't think anyone will bash my windows and steal my car within those 10 min. Plus if I ever have the famous ignition lock cylinder issue this will come in handy for an emergency.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 05:12 AM   #2
Squag27

2006 GTO Owner

If you're going to go through the trouble of cannibalizing a key, why not have VATS tuned out in order to simplify the process? Cool project though.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #3
05silgto

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squag27...View Post
If you're going to go through the trouble of cannibalizing a key, why not have VATS tuned out in order to simplify the process? Cool project though.

Cause I want to keep my security security system for my ignition so my car is harder to steal. I understand wiring a key in the car makes it easier as well but if you place it in a hard/time consuming place to get to I doubt anyone is going to steal it by hot wiring it vs. towing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: