Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Old 05-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
taylorjwbrown
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Just another bezel gauge...

So while I'm waiting for the remaining parts for the supercharger I thought I would try my hand at the bezel gauge diy I saw on here a couple times.

I bought the gauge from glowshift. Got a 2 inch black street 90, jb plasticweld, bondo and the Dremel out.

I started by marking where I thought it would look good and be easily seen. In the pic you can see I marked it 3 times, the 4th time I didn't take a pic but it's in and down more. I used the holes on the right side and basically lined up the elbow with the bottom left and right, marked it, cut it. I feel the cutting part would have went much smoother had I not been a cheap ass using a metal cutting attachment I already had, probably should've used a cut wheel.

Anyhow, got it all cut out and then I had to cut the 90 to fit the hole and gauge. This was the hardest part as the gauge sits pretty deep so I had to take material out of the inside where the 90 curves. I used 60 grit sandwheel on the dremel. After about an hour I finally had it where I needed it. I didn't take pix of that part but I will when I get home as its not glued yet.

Last edited by taylorjwbrown; 05-11-2016 at 09:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
taylorjwbrown
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I was thinking of maybe going with torrid red to color match the bezel and flat black on the part that's already black.

Anyone have color matched trim pieces in torrid red?

Last edited by taylorjwbrown; 05-11-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #3
taylorjwbrown
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

And alllllll done.. here's some pix!

After everything was cut, sanded and fit together it was time to epoxy it. I used jb weld plastic bonder. It dried really hard and the two test pieces I glued together broke before the epoxy broke:

After the epoxy dried, I sanded it. This was horrible, I should have sanded before it dried all the way but the dremel came in handy! Then I applied the bondo and used my finger to apply it so I could get a nice concave looking finish:

After sanding the bondo, not letting it dry completely before doing so btw. I had a nice finished piece I could primer and paint. I didn't realize the primer I used was flat green, I just wanted an etching/filler primer. I didn't care about the primer color overall, I was going flat black with the final color.

Sanded the primer with 400 grit and noticed some spots I missed from sanding with 220 grit so I hit it with 400 real good before painting.

Got it all sanded and cleared with flat gloss. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have cleared it. I don't feel that it needed it but I wanted to experiment and the worst that could've happened, smurf it up and repaint it? Here's a pic of it mounted in the car before the gauge.

Here's finished completely:

Overall I'm very happy with it. Took probably 2 or 3 hours of actual working time. You know, aside from the drinking and eating breaks lol. I've actually thought about buying another bezel and trying a dual gauge.

Let me know what you guys think!!

Last edited by taylorjwbrown; 05-15-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
taylorjwbrown
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Last edited by taylorjwbrown; 05-11-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
taylorjwbrown
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

All done
Old 05-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
HMBLGOAT

Very clean. Wasn't sure what the end result was going to look like so I scrolled all the way down and was surprised. You almost led into like it was a fail. I leave the bondo and such to the guys on TV.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
LFSADRG
Need To Drive More

2005 GTO Owner

Nice. Good job.

A member on here made one for me. The bezel with gauge is a nice addition to the cluster.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
Audacious Nick
Send Nudes

2004 GTO Owner

Should have spent more time filling in and sanding for a smoother finish, but it looks decent overall. Good job
2006 GSXR 1000- "The 250." 162whp. Sold
2008 LS460- The land yacht. More horsepower than an 04 GTO.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #9
jamesgiants76

That came out really nice. Good job man.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #10
taylorjwbrown
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Thanks guys.

Yea I didn't notice the parts that weren't completely smooth until it was almost finished so I said smurf it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: