Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 04-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Machine2004
Machine04

2004 GTO Owner

Send a message via AIM to Machine2004
DSS Two-Piece Vibration

Well, Iíve just installed my new DSS 2-Piece Chromoly/Aluminum driveshaft, and when I hit speeds of around 50mph to 60mph there is an audible deep humming, followed by vibrations in the trans tunnel area.

Iíve went through the various troubleshooting methods:
- Made sure the trans and diff were aligned
- Moved the flange over one to each of the three bolts
- Checked engine/trans mount
- Had all of the wheels checked (balanced, etc)
However, the issues still persist. Iíve reinstalled my DSS one piece aluminum driveshaft, and when I reach those speeds there is no humming nor any vibrations. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to check next?

I contacted DSS via phone, and the first time I was told to fill out the online form. I've filled out their online request form... twice. It's been two weeks and I've yet to receive a reply. I've called numerous times since, but I'm unable to get through, and their mailbox is full. I'd like to send it in to have the balance checked on it, but I'm sure I'll need an RMA first.
Does anyone have an alternate means of contacting them?
Appreciate any input (regarding the subject matter or course )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
marovetsm

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

You've checked all the boxes of what things I would suggest to check/try. Last thing is having it re-balanced. One of the first driveshafts I bought was doing the same and I had a local place re-balance it and it was off quite a bit. They suspected it either made it out the door without being balanced, or something may happened in shipping? That was a 1-piece but Im sure it could happen to any driveshaft, although I bet its pretty rare.

2006 SRM M6 - TVS 2300, E85, Numbers coming soon.
Dyno video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ha5A7vuolk
2004 Joe Gibbs Silverado RCSB - MP112, E85, T56, 470hp/465tq - Sold
Bezel pod How To
https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showth...690&highlight=
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Jontall
1 of 262

2006 GTO Owner

Try this: [email protected]

Old 05-01-2019, 05:16 AM   #4
Machine2004
Machine04

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marovetsm...View Post
You've checked all the boxes of what things I would suggest to check/try. Last thing is having it re-balanced. One of the first driveshafts I bought was doing the same and I had a local place re-balance it and it was off quite a bit. They suspected it either made it out the door without being balanced, or something may happened in shipping? That was a 1-piece but Im sure it could happen to any driveshaft, although I bet its pretty rare.

True. It happens every once and a while. With all I've checked, I hope this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontall...View Post

Thanks! I'll reach out to him.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:42 AM   #5
marovetsm

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I thought of this thread yesterday when I was watching the latest Cleetus video on YouTube. He said they were trying to get a hold of DSS for some axles but weren't having any luck so they called G-foprce instead. Apparently their customer service isn't the best lately.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #6
GTO44
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse

2006 GTO Owner

Hmmm maybe you just got a bad one 😞. Sorry to hear that man! Never had any issues with mine

Vararam, Pypes Hbox/Pype Bomb axleback,stock tune
Monster Level 2, Tick MC, Speed Bleeder, Revshit insert, Hinson motor mounts
Lovell 340/370mm springs, Koni Sport adj. shocks/struts
Full Lovell Bushings, Hotchkis Adj. Sway bars, Nobush Endlinks
DBA T3 Clubspec slotted, Hawk HP+, Russle SS, Motul 600
Rebuilt T56, Tick billet 3/4 keys & springs
Dragbags, Catchcan, DSS 900hp 2 Piece, MGW-P

365/368 (std) intake only
[email protected] 2.02 60'
Old 05-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #7
Sacrifice

2006 GTO Owner

I spoke to kollar yesterday and he says he has to deal with warranties on the 2 piece more. I went CF with his recommendation.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
EZ28

2004 GTO Owner

I've never had a problem with the DSS one piece. Over 100MPH no vibration in my car. Is there a reason you replaced it?
Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
Machine2004
Machine04

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontall...View Post

Thanks Jontall. They provided me an RMA and have received it on Monday. Lets see if they find anything.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Machine2004
Machine04

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ28...View Post
I've never had a problem with the DSS one piece. Over 100MPH no vibration in my car. Is there a reason you replaced it?

Its on the car now, hopefully until the two-piece comes back. I'm replacing it because I tend to take it in the 130's more and more now. Especially considering I travel to Belgium and Germany more often now. When I get to around 130 mph, the vibration gets pretty unsettling.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
Kfxguy

I'm glad i read this thread. I'll make a note to steer clear of the drive shaft shop. This isnt the first i've heard of this.
ss3200 yank
[email protected] 125 8psi (ish) (on 12psi now)
kinda slow but not really
Build thread https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837586
Old 05-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #12
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy...View Post
I'm glad i read this thread. I'll make a note to steer clear of the drive shaft shop. This isnt the first i've heard of this.

to what do you refer? the vibration or the lackadaisical customer service? I have no interest in arguing nor do i have any personal interest in this, but lots of people (including me) LOVE their DSS driveshafts, i refer specifically to the cf one-piece.

as far as the cs, I have noticed something interesting. slow or somewhat seemingly casual cs can be due to a rotten company or it can be due to a company that has a tremendous product that people are beating down the door for, and they simply do not feel a need to go crazy over cs, even BEFORE the sale. This happened to me with two other excellent high end merchants who ultimately delivered tremendous products worth every cent, and to be honest, DSS themselves seemed rather casual when I had questions prior to sale, but the DS they delivered is an absolute work of engineering art. just something to ponder before you are so sure you do not want to buy from them. i agree, it is hard to know, which are the great ones, and which are not, sometimes.

ďOthers have caught on, but they haven't caught up." ...1968 GTO ad
Old 05-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #13
EZ28

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech912...View Post
Quote:

to what do you refer? the vibration or the lackadaisical customer service? I have no interest in arguing nor do i have any personal interest in this, but lots of people (including me) LOVE their DSS driveshafts, i refer specifically to the cf one-piece.

as far as the cs, I have noticed something interesting. slow or somewhat seemingly casual cs can be due to a rotten company or it can be due to a company that has a tremendous product that people are beating down the door for, and they simply do not feel a need to go crazy over cs, even BEFORE the sale. This happened to me with two other excellent high end merchants who ultimately delivered tremendous products worth every cent, and to be honest, DSS themselves seemed rather casual when I had questions prior to sale, but the DS they delivered is an absolute work of engineering art. just something to ponder before you are so sure you do not want to buy from them. i agree, it is hard to know, which are the great ones, and which are not, sometimes.

I've never had any issues with mine and really love the one piece compared to the stock two piece. The stock drive shaft was sloppy after replacing subframe bushings. Just something to consider. I'm sure an aftermarket two piece is better. I will stick with the DSS one piece.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #14
Sacrifice

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech912...View Post
Quote:

Also happy with my cf 1 piece. Ordered from kollar and had it in two days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ28...View Post

I've never had any issues with mine and really love the one piece compared to the stock two piece. The stock drive shaft was sloppy after replacing subframe bushings. Just something to consider. I'm sure an aftermarket two piece is better. I will stick with the DSS one piece.

My stock 2 piece had issues after the guibo and carrier bearing too
Old 05-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #15
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:

your loss, imho. i have never had any issues with their products.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 AM   #16
Machine2004
Machine04

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:

Whoa, Hopefully my contact request didn't give you that opinion. You'd be doing yourself a disservice avoiding them.

Im currently running their half-shafts, and one-piece while I'm waiting to see the status of the two-piece. Oh, and the critical speed for the one piece is around 130-135mph if I remember correctly. I touch north of those speeds quite often so thats the ONLY reason I'm switching to their two-piece.

Last edited by Machine2004; 05-19-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:28 AM   #17
Machine2004
Machine04

2004 GTO Owner

Well, looks like my driveshaft will be shipped out Monday (yesterday) and in my possession next week. Hopefully the rebalancing did the trick.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:44 AM   #18
Machine2004
Machine04

2004 GTO Owner

Just an update. I received the driveshaft last week, and installed it this past weekend. Took it up to around 140 and experienced no vibration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: