Exhaust is too quiet.... - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Exhaust

Old 05-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
SoSlow6.0

Exhaust is too quiet....

I have an '05 A4 with Magnaflow stainless from the cats back. I recently changed the mufflers to the Super 44 Flowmaster series. According to Flowmasters' sound chart, the Super 44 is the loudest next to their Super 10 (single chamber). Its still too quiet. Its loud when I stick my foot in it, but at idle its just a little louder than the Magnaflows I just removed. It still has cats and manifolds. I remember Flowmasters being so much louder about 20 years ago. Feeling a bit disappointed at the moment.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
superchargedgp
The Grinch

Other Holden/HSV

Buy long tubes
Old 05-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Deadhead926

2004 GTO Owner

CAUTION
I was given a set of Kooks LT's last year for my '04, after I spent a full Saturday installing them after which I found the car still to "quiet" so I then went with a set of straight SLP pipes still didn't get the result I was looking for then I removed the CAT's & the mufflers now you can hear it 5 blocks away but my wife tells me it rattles the damn windows & a few of my neighbors complain not to mention a few select members of the local law enforcement agency like to harass me every now and again. It sounds badass and I kept the '04 exhaust configuration just to fool a few fools it sounds like a well tuned LS2 when in reality it's just a loud '04. To be honest with you it's total overkill I'm thinking of going with a set of mufflers from an '05 CTS-V just to tone it down a bit.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
Abs
Freedom Fighter

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow6.0...View Post
It still has cats and manifolds. I remember Flowmasters being so much louder about 20 years ago. Feeling a bit disappointed at the moment.

Get JBA catted or catless mids and the volume will increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead926...View Post
CAUTION
I was given a set of Kooks LT's last year for my '04, after I spent a full Saturday installing them after which I found the car still to "quiet" so I then went with a set of straight SLP pipes still didn't get the result I was looking for then I removed the CAT's & the mufflers now you can hear it 5 blocks away but my wife tells me it rattles the damn windows & a few of my neighbors complain not to mention a few select members of the local law enforcement agency like to harass me every now and again.

NE Philly eh? I was born and raised in Bustleton. Had the gto a while or only since you joined here last year?
2004 GTO bought 9/30/04. 05-06 Front calipers, DBA T2 Front Rotors, Akebono front pads, 05-06 rear AC Delco vented rotors, Lovells 20mm drop rear springs with 16mm whiteline spacers, Monroe Spectrum struts and shocks, Front and Rear Superpro Radius Rod bushings, Superpro Diff Insert, K&N Air Filter
Old 05-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
Sacrifice

2006 GTO Owner

I have kooks LT and cat midpipes, magnaflow xpipe in the stock cat back and flowmaster ? (Ill have to look). Nice rumble at idle and driving.

But also quiet when cruising down the highway
Old 05-30-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
Deadhead926

2004 GTO Owner

The GTO was given to me in September 2017. I live in the Wissinoming section of philly near the Tac-Pal bridge. I actually knew nothing zero zilch about this site I joined 5 minutes after I found it. I visit this site several times a day.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Abs
Freedom Fighter

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead926...View Post
The GTO was given to me in September 2017. I live in the Wissinoming section of philly near the Tac-Pal bridge. I actually knew nothing zero zilch about this site I joined 5 minutes after I found it. I visit this site several times a day.

Very nice. This is an older crowd than the depressing Facebook page. I just joined that a few months back. Would have fit me better 15 years ago when I bought the car. If you are in your 20s, you might like it. The cover picture just implemented by popular demand says it all.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:31 AM   #8
Deadhead926

2004 GTO Owner

I'm on FB but I do agree with you as a 53 year old the crowd on here is one-older two-more helpful three non judgemental. However the one group on Facebook, GTO Racers is awesome and I've actually purchased a few items from guys on the Facebook group, G8 GTO Parts for Sale. Facebook does have its positives however to me posting every single detail of my life just to seek a comment or a "like" seems a bit much, and my life isn't all that exciting anyway. The LS1 Forum is my Facebook.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:14 AM   #9
LIL KID
Rockin the Bakken

2006 GTO Owner

If you want to make it louder to draw attention to yourself add a train horn!! The stealthier the better for me as long as it doesn't kill power!
Livernois LS stage 2 heads, Livernois LS stage 2 cam, Comp Cams lifters and rocker trunnion upgrade, FAST 102mm, GMM Rip shifter, Tick clutch master, Kooks Headers, SvedeSpeed, Melling high volume oil pump, Edelbrock 2 piece front cover, 3" magnaflow dual exhaust and Lovells stock ride height springs and struts!
S D tune provided by Russ Kemp @ Autolab in Regina.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:35 AM   #10
Jailor

Spin Tech
Old 05-31-2019, 05:54 AM   #11
SoSlow6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIL KID...View Post
If you want to make it louder to draw attention to yourself add a train horn!! The stealthier the better for me as long as it doesn't kill power!

I don't need it for attention, I just want it for me...

Thanks for the input fellas, looks like I have a couple options.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
blk00ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs...View Post
Very nice. This is an older crowd than the depressing Facebook page. I just joined that a few months back. Would have fit me better 15 years ago when I bought the car. If you are in your 20s, you might like it. The cover picture just implemented by popular demand says it all.

I was reading through here and had to comment. You are absolutely correct. I'm on two of those FB pages and I find I get more annoyed than I do informed. There is some goofy stuff that takes place on those pages
Old 05-31-2019, 07:11 AM   #13
Abs
Freedom Fighter

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk00ss...View Post
I was reading through here and had to comment. You are absolutely correct. I'm on two of those FB pages and I find I get more annoyed than I do informed. There is some goofy stuff that takes place on those pages

Deadhead above said that this forum is not judgmental. That was far from the case years ago. Many chest thumpers in here. Super opinionated. Not so much any more though. More chill and helpful now.

The facebook page is depressing because it just seems like a lot of low quality, young owners and the cars are constantly being parted out, rollers being sold, and the cars going for super cheap. Like well under $10K cheap.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
gixxer711

2005 GTO Owner

My Corsa exhaust is loud as hell when you get in it.
Volant intake
Tune
1-piece DSS driveshaft
Cold Case radiator
Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #15
SilverBullet19
05 Looks, 04 Slow

2004 GTO Owner

Spintech and SLP are pretty loud. I have JBA shorties, their high flow cats, and catback. I like it because it's mild and fairly quiet at idle and low RPM, but gets nice and loud above 3k or so. There's no drone while cruising either.

I prefer to be able to keep it quiet in the neighborhood so I don't piss off neighbors, but like that it can draw attention when I jump on it.

Retired for DD duties 3/23/15 at 120,600

Full JBA exhaust with shorties and catted mids, Griffin radiator, Lovell's Shocks, King HHD springs (1 inch drop front, 1/2 inch rear), various whiteline poly bushings, DSS 1 piece, Hyperblack 19" VMR VB3's, 05 hood, 05 bumper, Mavman color matched spoiler
Old 05-31-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs...View Post
The facebook page is depressing because it just seems like a lot of low quality, young owners and the cars are constantly being parted out, rollers being sold, and the cars going for super cheap. Like well under $10K cheap.

kind of cool that these forums aren't dead yet. lots of others have turned into botspamcity and finally the server goes down and you get 404'd
Old 05-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #17
SilverBullet19
05 Looks, 04 Slow

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
kind of cool that these forums aren't dead yet. lots of others have turned into botspamcity and finally the server goes down and you get 404'd

This forum may no be quite as active as it was 5-10 years ago, but it's still probably the most solid forum/knowledge base I've seen.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #18
Deadhead926

2004 GTO Owner

I'm certainly glad we have this resource I've been helped more than a handful of times I've also purchased some very cool items for more than fair prices.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:38 AM   #19
5ft24
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Flowmasters are garbage
Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 AM   #20
SoSlow6.0

Flowmaster are the best sounding muffler for a V8 IMO. I'm just surprised it's not loud like my old fox bosy used to be...
Old 06-10-2019, 02:49 AM   #21
JeffM

2006 GTO Owner

I've got Kooks long tubes, no cats and Flowmaster. My car is loud as hell. When I get on it, it startles the hell out of people. I've considered replacing them for something quieter.
Totaled by some 18 yr old uninsured snowflake - 2006, M6, LS2 Bottom, L92 Heads, 236/240 590/590 112 Cam, LS3 Intake, Ported Throttle body, XAIR, Kooks Long tube, Cat less Flowmaster, B&M Short Shifter, Monster Level 2, DSS 1 piece, 3.90s, 439 whp/397 trq

2017 Camaro SS
Old 06-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #22
Corndog
Hell pecker yeah

2005 GTO Owner

If you're relatively new around here, dig up some of the old WRP videos from 2005-2009 or so. He had one of the best sounding GTOs ever and all he did was "poke some holes in the muffler with a screwdriver."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Lobo at GF8...
I'm gonna show you fairies how to skip.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...o/footlong.jpg
Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #23
05silgto

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow6.0...View Post
I have an '05 A4 with Magnaflow stainless from the cats back. I recently changed the mufflers to the Super 44 Flowmaster series. According to Flowmasters' sound chart, the Super 44 is the loudest next to their Super 10 (single chamber). Its still too quiet. Its loud when I stick my foot in it, but at idle its just a little louder than the Magnaflows I just removed. It still has cats and manifolds. I remember Flowmasters being so much louder about 20 years ago. Feeling a bit disappointed at the moment.

I have stainless works long tube headers, no cats magnaflow competition series 3 inch exhaust and doug's electric cutouts.

I can bypass my mufflers at the touch of a button. It sounds badass at idle and wot but for normal cruising its annoying and obnoxious. I typically flip the switch when some pos ricer is trying to race me, usually scares them away lol.

Dougs electric cutouts have a design where the block plates slide to the side preventing them from eventually causing a leak so in my experience they have been very reliable. You can also modulate the switch to only partly open the cutouts in order to control the volume a little bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: