Anti-hop axles - LS1GTO.com Forums

Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Drivetrain

Old 01-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
hadagto

2004 GTO Owner

Anti-hop axles

Has anyone with wheel hop used the Anti-wheel hop axles and noticed a reduction of wheel hop with just that change?
2004 GTO...IBM/Blue interior...228R cam, D1X procharger(14 psi), stainless works headers/magnaflow catback, E85, RPM built level 6 4l60e with Yank 3400 pas converter, DSS driveshaft and CV's, Gforce stubs, 05/06 diff with spool, street tuned with HPtuners.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
lejambcr
My other car has wings

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

That's a great question that I too would love to have an answer for. I have what I consider a low mileage 2006 with bushings that appear to be like new, at least what I can see of them. But I've got some serious wheel hop that I would like to try to fix with axles alone. Maybe I'm dreaming.........
XAir OTRCAI, FAST 102 Intake
Monster Level 2 Clutch Package, MGW-P shifter
Carbon Fiber 1 piece DSS Driveshaft
Gforce Anti-Wheel Hop Axles, Gforce Heavy Duty Differential Mount Bracket

409 RWT and 407 RWHP

1/8 mile best: 2.04(60'), 5.61(330'), 8.49(660'), street tires and 2500' density altitude, lifting between gears
Old 01-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

That’s why they are called what they are called; they work.
CGM | CCW SP550 | Pedders Xa | Kooks | Spintech | Ed Curtis Cam | FAST 92 | Duspeed | GMM | Street Slayer Clutch | Billet Prototypes | JHP Pod, Spoiler, Steering Wheel | GTOG8TA SAP Grilles | Cold Case
2004 M6 GTO
IBM | 05-06 Hood | Holden VZ 18's | Pedders | Lovells | 05-06 Calipers | Kooks | Spintech | Svede | Billet Prototypes | HSV Steering Wheel | WCS SAP Grilles | Mavman Spoiler | VX Tails | Mishimoto | Leatherseats Interior

Old 01-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
JSRacing

2005 GTO Owner

I have the anti-wheel hop axles and it did reduce the wheel hop but it is still there.
Kooks catted mids
Bassani catback
SLP 25% UDP
CSP ported intake, TB
Summit LS Pro Stage 2 Cam
Tuned by EFX Tuning
Hinson Engine/Trans Mount, Shifter
VRM V710 Black
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Whiteline/Eibach Poly Bushings
Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
hadagto

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
Thatís why they are called what they are called; they work.

So the theory is different diameter axles twist and unload at a different rate thus eliminating the cause of wheel hop. With that in mind I have 1000 horse rated DSS axles currently which are 1 1/8" diameter. I'm considering getting one of their 1400 horse rated axles which are 1 3/8" diameter to put on my passenger side if it would help with wheel hop.

I already have king springs w/bags, koni shocks, whiteline diff insert bushing, and whiteline sway bar yet I still get wheel hop in certain situations. I thought maybe axles would finish it off completely. Just thought I'd ask for real world results since not every product works as well as the manufacturer claims.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:01 AM   #6
ATF

2006 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadagto...View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
That’s why they are called what they are called; they work.

So the theory is different diameter axles twist and unload at a different rate thus eliminating the cause of wheel hop. With that in mind I have 1000 horse rated DSS axles currently which are 1 1/8" diameter. I'm considering getting one of their 1400 horse rated axles which are 1 3/8" diameter to put on my passenger side if it would help with wheel hop.

I already have king springs w/bags, koni shocks, whiteline diff insert bushing, and whiteline sway bar yet I still get wheel hop in certain situations. I thought maybe axles would finish it off completely. Just thought I'd ask for real world results since not every product works as well as the manufacturer claims.

I did it opposite of you. Axles were my first attempt and it helped but was still awful. I then did nearly the same mods back there as you over time and it very rarely hops and I drive aggressively at times with the 3.91s it is a lot of fun. Give the axles a shot it may be enough.
1 7/8Ē ARH longtubes..stock catback..FAST 102..XAIR OTR CAI w/IAT relocated..linkbar lifters..Mishimoto Radiator..catch can..Monster Lvl 2 Single disc..OEM 3.91 gears w/TrueTrac..Anti-Hop axle..1pc driveshaft..DBA brakes..GMM RipShift..Hotchkis Swaybars..Pedders Drag Springs..Drag Bags..GSR Shocks..Lovells springs w/Monroe struts..many bushings replaced.. Russell brake/fuel lines..lot's of other stuff..tuned @ CSP
Old 01-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #7
gto57
Is that FWD?

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejambcr...View Post
That's a great question that I too would love to have an answer for. I have what I consider a low mileage 2006 with bushings that appear to be like new, at least what I can see of them. But I've got some serious wheel hop that I would like to try to fix with axles alone. Maybe I'm dreaming.........

What do you consider low mileage? My 2004 has 27,500 miles on it. All bushings were dry rotted and hard as a rock all over car. I bought the car new in 2004, never driven in snow or rain and still bushings were all broken down. I have installed Gforce 850HP Axles and Inner stubs and replaced all rear bushings with polyurethane ones, including rear diff insert. This stopped the wheel hop for me.

I installed one piece DSS carbon fiber drive shaft, axles and inner stubs first before the bushings and yes this seems to almost completely stop the wheel hop. I also installed Lovells 350mm rear springs and koni adjustable shocks in rear at same time I did the bushings. Rear sagging springs may contribute to wheel hop as well.

Here are some before and after shots.

Engine Mods: Livernois Stage III LS6 heads/cam | Cam - [email protected], Lift .568", LSA 114
Fast LSXr 102mm | LPE 100MM MAF | 105MM Accufab TB
SvedeSpeed OTRCAI | JBA Shorty Headers | JBA Mids w/cats | JBA Split Catback

Appearance: Banshee Hood | Banshee Dual Exhaust Inserts | DBA Slotted Rotors
Ace Alloy AFF02 Black Chrome, 19" staggered setup.

Drivetrain : | DSS CF Driveshaft | Gforce Half Shafts | Inner Axle Stubs
3200 Vigilante Single Disc

Old 01-04-2019, 04:47 AM   #8
Duckman
Kollar Racing Products

2004 GTO Owner

Wheelhop varies from car to car dependent on power and the driver. Manual transmission cars suffer more then automatics. Wheelhop should be addressed in this order as follows:
(1) Firmer Springs such as Lovells 350s or 370s...do the shocks while you are in there
(2) Poly Subframe Bushings W92350 or Pedders EP1145
(3) Harrop Cover is preferable to diff insert but the Whiteline W92616 or Pedders EP1157 insert does help.
(4) Drag Bags...play with the air pressures...What you run on the street will be different then the track.
(5) DSS anti-wheelhop axels
The above WORKS well into high 9s with good tires. PM me if I can help

NEED TECHNICAL SUPPORT? SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE EVERYDAY 8AM-8PM EST

631-902-2276
http://kollarracingproducts.com/
[email protected]
GREAT PARTS, GREAT PRICES, FAST SHIPPING.....
Old 01-04-2019, 05:06 AM   #9
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman...View Post
Wheelhop varies from car to car dependent on power and the driver. Manual transmission cars suffer more then automatics. Wheelhop should be addressed in this order as follows:
(1) Firmer Springs such as Lovells 350s or 370s...do the shocks while you are in there
(2) Poly Subframe Bushings W92350 or Pedders EP1145
(3) Harrop Cover is preferable to diff insert but the Whiteline W92616 or Pedders EP1157 insert does help.
(4) Drag Bags...play with the air pressures...What you run on the street will be different then the track.
(5) DSS anti-wheelhop axels
The above WORKS well into high 9s with good tires. PM me if I can help

I've only done 1-3 above and in that order. I very rarely experience any wheel hop and when it does show up it is on a crappy road and is pretty mild. When I hit the drag strip for the first time last Summer I didn't feel any wheel hop on the track all day. All this on street tires. In my version of #3 I did the insert first then the Harrop cover. The Harrop WAS an improvement all around (and just looks cool).

2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 HFP
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
Rich's 1965 Chevelle Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
Bob's 1964 GTO Project Page
Rich's Brazen Orange 2006 Pontiac GTO
Rich C.
"I would rather appreciate what I cannot have than have what I cannot appreciate."
Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
gesto
Torrid 06 M6

2006 GTO Owner

My GTO had wheel hop at the strip on all stock suspension and stock power with drag tires (six speed manual). I added a single Level I anti-hop axle from GForce and it stopped the hop. I then had a lot of squat so the rear tires would actually bottom out a little. Drag bags fixed that. However, the otherwise stock suspension would still squat so I recently had all the rear suspension bushings changed and added the GForce Afco coilover kit.

98 Z28, 222K miles, lid, catback, 4k stall, 2.73's, n/a 12.37 @ 108; 75 shot [email protected] 112

1960 Biscayne coupe, straight 6, 3 on the tree, swap project

2018 Corvette ZO6, stock
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Corndog
Hell pecker yeah

2005 GTO Owner

I had wheel hop so bad that the windshield wipers would come on. This was on a launch at the track with drag radials. I had a Harrop diff cover, Pedders springs, shock, and drag bags. I installed the anti-wheel hop axles and the hop is 95% gone. Every once in a while on the street I will get just a little hop if the conditions are exactly right. X amount of throttle, temp of the road and tires, etc. Nothing that I can't live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Lobo at GF8...
I'm gonna show you fairies how to skip.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...o/footlong.jpg
Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #12
hadagto

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog...View Post
I had wheel hop so bad that the windshield wipers would come on. This was on a launch at the track with drag radials. I had a Harrop diff cover, Pedders springs, shock, and drag bags. I installed the anti-wheel hop axles and the hop is 95% gone. Every once in a while on the street I will get just a little hop if the conditions are exactly right. X amount of throttle, temp of the road and tires, etc. Nothing that I can't live with.

Kind of where I'm at right now is with the right amount of tire spin at the right road temp it will hop, but most of the time it doesn't. At the track one time when I didn't bring the rpm's up fast enough during the burnout the rear went to the right and it hopped a bit during the burnout. That was very odd and if I bring the rpm's up high fast it stays straight and doesn't hop.

I'm adding power and plan to continue to do so. I'd like to get rid of hop completely that is why I considered the axles.

My question for Duckman would be since different diameter axles are the key to the anti-hop axle theory and since I already have 1000 horse rated driveshaft shop axles which are 1 1/8" diameter...would adding a single 1400 horse rated DSS axle which is 1 3/8" diameter to one side serve the same purpose here?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #13
Duckman
Kollar Racing Products

2004 GTO Owner

It should help...provided the balance of the list has been addressed. Not all cars require the axels. My mechanic's GTO runs Lovells springs with bags...KYBs...Whiteline subframe bushings...harrop cover...RoadSafe Quad adjusters (long discontinued) with toe links (against my recommendation) with DSS CF Shaft, Wave Trac, Stubs and 1400HP (Not antiwheelhop) axels. I dont remember what the stall is. This car has multiple tunes...one for daily driving and one drag racing NA and one for 2 steps of NOS. This car bangs low 10s...high 9s at the strip....and can be driven back and forth to work each day.....with Zero wheelhop. On Slicks she squats...a little wheel spin and away she goes...
Old 01-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman...View Post
.... with toe links (against my recommendation) ...

Why is that? I have G-Force adjustable toe links on my car, not sure if they help or hurt with wheel hop but I didn't really have any before or after them.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:17 AM   #15
Duckman
Kollar Racing Products

2004 GTO Owner

I am not an Engineer. Allegedly if you run eccentrics on the INSIDE (diff side) of the rear control arm you risk binding the diff. The original IRS Commodore had NO toe links. There was no adjustment for toe or camber. The aftermarket developed eccentrics to address this issue. Did the existence of the toe links contribute to blowing up the stock and eaton diffs? I cant be sure. The Wavetrac is still alive and well after 2 years
Old 01-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
SAPGoat

I have everything done but the subframe bushings and the axles. I recently broke a CV due to wheel hop so I ordered them from Duckman, Andy Kollar today. Hopefully that solves my wheel hop issues before I cam it this summer. It can't even handle bolt ons and a stall now.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:03 AM   #17
lumpy46

2005 GTO Owner

I have done everything except replace the inner and outer control arm bushings and have BAD wheel hop any time I bang second gear! My knees have been so bad that the last year I haven't driven it or worked on it much but those were replaced last week so that is going to change soon. My question is does it matter which side the larger axel goes on? AS I'll go after the bushings soon.

Lots of suspension upgrades from Kollar Racing, DSS Carbon Driveshaft, Kooks 1 3/4 LT, ported TB and LS2 manifold, MGW-P, Corsa Sport, Aussie 3:90 from the banned one, new T56 Magnum from D&D and more as money permits...
Old 01-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #18
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Wheel hop isn't just from axle wrap, it's from wheel geometry changes.

Semitrailing arm suspensions vary both camber and toe with travel. With acceleration, the rear squats, and changes both toe and camber. This can cause a loss of traction. When the suspension unloads during wheel spin, traction can be regained since camber and toe now return to a point that allows the tire to grip. When the tires grip, the suspension loads up, and the process begins again.

GTO's have relatively soft spring rates in the rear, as well as soft dampening, which allow for greater rates of suspension travel, exacerbating the situation.

So, the treatment is anti-squat and greater control. Adjustable dampers and higher rate springs should help. Poly bushings help. Any thing that limits movement in the rear helps. Toe links help, of course, since that forces the control arms to maintain toe, although causes the inner control arm bushing to flex more. Anti-hop axles help. Stickier tires help.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #19
WestJake

2005 GTO Owner

I installed the GForce anti wheel hop axles a few years ago but it didn't help a bit. I do have Pedders aftermarket rear suspension kit and that might have something to do with it. So far, nothing I've tried ha helped. Considering going to the GForce rear coil over kit but I'm looking in the forum for recommendations from those who have installed it.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:29 AM   #20
Kfxguy

Maybe I have a unicorn. I have never experienced wheel hop. The only thing suspension wise done to mine is drag bags. I never air them up either. I wonder if them being there has something to do with it? And yea, I can spin the tires. Depending on tires I have, I can spin them to 90mph. So I really wonder what’s different about mine?

Tires I’ve had:
Nitto 555r
Nitto nt05r
Nankang something

Stock axles too.
ss3200 yank
[email protected] 125 8psi (ish) (on 12psi now)
kinda slow but not really
Build thread https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837586

Last edited by Kfxguy; 06-15-2019 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:10 AM   #21
Jailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy...View Post
Maybe I have a unicorn. I have never experienced wheel hop. The only thing suspension wise done to mine is drag bags. I never air them up either. I wonder if them being there has something to do with it? And yea, I can spin the tires. Depending on tires I have, I can spin them to 90mph. So I really wonder whatís different about mine?

Tires Iíve had:
Nitto 555r
Nitto nt05r
Nankang something

Stock axles too.

Mine must of come off the assembly line next to yours.......never experienced an issue.....and itís a six speed.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #22
hadagto

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfxguy...View Post
Maybe I have a unicorn. I have never experienced wheel hop. The only thing suspension wise done to mine is drag bags. I never air them up either. I wonder if them being there has something to do with it? And yea, I can spin the tires. Depending on tires I have, I can spin them to 90mph. So I really wonder whatís different about mine?

Tires Iíve had:
Nitto 555r
Nitto nt05r
Nankang something

Stock axles too.

This is my second GTO. First one never had wheel hop ever on any surface and ran low 10's with 1.58-1.62 60's every time out hundreds of passes back in 2004-2008. This one was a problem, but I've got it solved now. Adjustable rear shocks, King springs, whiteline rear sway bar, diff mount bushing, and drag bags at 19 psi solved it. The drag bags seemed to be either what solved it or at least finished it off because all the other stuff made little difference until I did drag bags with enough psi in them. Still have stock cradle bushings which I plan to go ahead and replace anyway.

Spinning isn't where it will typically happen. What I mean is blowing the tires off is no problem. It's when they try to hook and barely spin is where I had the issue with this car.

Here is my current car on the first pass of opening day this year. Just blew the tires off and hit the limiter rolling into the throttle. Hit the limiter, lifted, and got back on it hitting the limiter again before lifting and just cruising on down. No wheel hop spinning like crazy. Car runs high 6's with only a 1.7x 60' full weight when I baby it out. I plan to do coilovers and try to get it to transfer weight better.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #23
Jailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadagto...View Post
This is my second GTO. First one never had wheel hop ever on any surface and ran low 10's with 1.58-1.62 60's every time out hundreds of passes back in 2004-2008. This one was a problem, but I've got it solved now. Adjustable rear shocks, King springs, whiteline rear sway bar, diff mount bushing, and drag bags at 19 psi solved it. The drag bags seemed to be either what solved it or at least finished it off because all the other stuff made little difference until I did drag bags with enough psi in them. Still have stock cradle bushings which I plan to go ahead and replace anyway.

Spinning isn't where it will typically happen. What I mean is blowing the tires off is no problem. It's when they try to hook and barely spin is where I had the issue with this car.

Here is my current car on the first pass of opening day this year. Just blew the tires off and hit the limiter rolling into the throttle. Hit the limiter, lifted, and got back on it hitting the limiter again before lifting and just cruising on down. No wheel hop spinning like crazy. Car runs high 6's with only a 1.7x 60' full weight when I baby it out. I plan to do coilovers and try to get it to transfer weight better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axFd8lpw1JI

Sounds angry!

Whatís your motor setup?
Old 06-16-2019, 03:48 AM   #24
hadagto

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailor...View Post
Sounds angry!

Whatís your motor setup?

Stock LS1 with a texas speed cam, btr .660 lift spring kit, double roller timing set, 3/8 pushrods, and ported oil pump. Exhaust is... stainless works long tubes, no cats, magnaflow cat back. Procharger D1x and E85 fuel system. Built and tuned by me...shift point is 6800 ish and rev limiter at 7000 rpm.

Obviously the automatic isn't going to shift when it's just blowing the tires off and it hit the limiter...no wheel hop though...LOL
Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 AM   #25
DangerNoodle
The battle of wits has begun.

2004 GTO Owner

Yeah auto guys don't usually get wheel hop, I think the converter soaks up the pulses of torque.

When I was auto, I never new of wheel hop, I wondered why everyone bitched.

Now I'm manual, and yeah.. wheel hop is a bitch.

I have pedders 5/16 raised suspension, diff insert, subframe inserts. Antiwheel hop axles are on my list, but they are damn expensive. I'm sure they're the last piece of the puzzle to eliminate my wheel hop issues.
Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Last edited by DangerNoodle; 06-17-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #26
rednari2

2004 GTO Owner

I have struggled with hopping from time to time with my M6. But, my problems started near the top end, meaning as I wind each gear out the hop kicks in from 5500 plus. When the tires break its more than a hop, the suspension thumps against the stops. When it happens, I learned to shift before the hop.

But, what really helped was a Hotchkiss sway bar. The high RPM hop was the result of me tweaking the suspension. Before that it would hop at any RPM at WOT. The car has: Lovells, Koni adjustables, Harrop cover, bushings, and the Hotchkiss sways.

Those sways are really stiff. So, I started at the first notch. Then went to two. Finally I cranked it up to the fourth and tightest notch. Bingo, that was the charm. The ride is stiff, but no more hopping. When I accelerate over a bump or crack in the street, the tires chirp but do not hop.

Its worth it. My hop as started near the top of each gear. Winding the car out in third, and having the tires start hopping and thumping the suspension at 90 will make a different man out of you. It was scary. There were times when I thought I was going to lose the car.

The heavy sways act similar to drag bags. As the wheel tries to hop, the pressure keeps it down and also ties the two axles together. In addition the OE rear sway on our cars is a joke and should be changed anyway.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #27
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Wonder if i should set my SLP bar to the stiffer notch.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #28
rednari2

2004 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothubertjfarnsworth...View Post
Wonder if i should set my SLP bar to the stiffer notch.

It may help. Originally I turned up the Konis to very stiff trying to stop the hop. The stiffness needed was too much. The tires started acting as the suspension. Single adjustables are like that. You have to turn up the compression to get the rebound you need to plant the tire. This results in a cement truck ride.

On my F body, I would start out by setting the compression at 3 and the rebound at 7 and tweak it from there. Not having the benefit of double adjustables, I set the Konis in the middle and tweaked it until it was as stiff as possible without destroying the ride. Then I started tweaking the sways until I had a solution.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #29
Nothubertjfarnsworth
ಠ_ಠ

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

They do make DA's for the GTO. I have a set on the red car.

My problem is just the tires letting go and spinning. No hop though. Sucks.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #30
rednari2

2004 GTO Owner

Who makes them? Are they for coil overs? Thats what my car does, spins the tires. Enough tire has always been a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: