Vendors

Go Back   LS1GTO.com Forums > GTO Tech > Appearance/Detailing

Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
r3d05GTO
05 M6 Red/Black

2005 GTO Owner

Send a message via MSN to r3d05GTO
Protecting NEW headlights...

Hey guys, after exhausting the google search function... I'm here to ask questions.

Some of you know, I hit a deer last year and I've been sourcing oem SAP parts to put it back together. During this time I had decided to throw the car back together, sell it for the best price and buy a C7. Alas, things have been moving slower than planned and my new garage won't be up for some time, so I decided to wait on the C7 and completely restore the GTO cosmetically and stuff it in the new garage when I finally get it up.

I've piled up all my replacement parts including some new lights all the way around. My factory headlights have been wetsanded and sealed many times over and I'm just tired of it. The car is no longer a daily and won't be again, so smurf it. New lights. My question is, how best to protect them? I've been seeing a lot about ceramic coating on lights. Most info I've dug up is about using on a set of restored lights. Anybody ever used this to protect a new set?

I've read about the headlight armor, which is a sponsor, and they're up for consideration as well.

Or would a healthy coat of wax be enough to protect the factory barrier?

I just really, really, want to protect these things as well as fresh paint, and my new wheels (CCW 505a) lol. I've shelled out a lot of cash to get everything I need to have the exterior showroom mint. I'd just like what people have found to keep it that way as far as factory lamps go.

Thanks in advance for the input!
25% Under drive pulley
BTR Stage 4 Camshaft
Awespeed otrcai, IAT breakout
Spintech 3" catback w/ xpipe
Deatschwerks DW65c
LS7 clutch, monster clutch line, GTOG8TA short throw
Pedders 2589 Rear Springs
Front BC coilovers - lowered - Poly bushings.
6000k HIDs low and fogs
06 tails
Speed Density Tune - 447rwhp 419rwtq - Tuned at Kentucky Speed by Bluecat.

2005 TR/Black M 6 - sold
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Hockeyman
Living the dream!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I've tried quite a few different wax's and ceramic coatings on my 2011 GMC's headlights, and I still got a haze on the top corner of the lens' about 6 months later that had to be removed with wetsanding and polishing. I have even applied the wax on a monthly basis, but the hot Florida sun just destroys it. UV damage is extremely high down here!

Since the last time they were wetsanded, I removed both headlights and sprayed on a 2-part automotive grade clearcoat over the plastic surface. That has now held up for well over a year now without hazing, but I still continue to apply a monthly layer of wax to them.

I have also read reviews (here) that headlight armor does just as well, but I have not bought and tried it since living down south. My wife recently purchased a new SUV and I might buy the ~clear headlight armor~ for it and try it out.

http://vid79.photobucket.com/albums/...ngPaint001.mp4
Old 02-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
G_Loc

2006 GTO Owner

Install Headlight Armor or Xpel headlight film and apply 303 Protectant once a month. Your lights will look great for years.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
whippersnapper02
Premium Member

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I went with Headlight Armor but haven't installed it because one headlight gets condensation in it so I figured why the armor. When I get new lights I will definitely use it to protect them.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Rich-Tripower
GR-RRR!

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I've used Lamin-X headlight covers on all my cars. Not a one has begun to haze even a tiny bit.

2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 HFP
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
Rich's 1965 Chevelle Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
Bob's 1964 GTO Project Page
Rich's Brazen Orange 2006 Pontiac GTO
Rich C.
"I would rather appreciate what I cannot have than have what I cannot appreciate."
Old 03-01-2019, 01:44 AM   #6
BRZN
Yea, I belong to a club!

2006 GTO Owner

Headlight Armor/

My Mod List w/Pictures
brzndave on Instagram
Old 03-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Iíve had headlight film on my 04 since new. Replaced them once due to a stone ripping into one of them, but as you can see from the attached, the lights are still perfectly clear. This car sits outside and was a daily driver for 10 years as well. 78k miles:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA9D9870-86C8-4C15-883E-D07143B5CF9E.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	491267  
CGM | CCW SP550 | Pedders Xa | Kooks | Spintech | Ed Curtis Cam | FAST 92 | Duspeed | GMM | Street Slayer Clutch | Billet Prototypes | JHP Pod, Spoiler, Steering Wheel | GTOG8TA SAP Grilles | Cold Case
2004 M6 GTO
IBM | 05-06 Hood | Holden VZ 18's | Pedders | Lovells | 05-06 Calipers | Kooks | Spintech | Svede | Billet Prototypes | HSV Steering Wheel | WCS SAP Grilles | Mavman Spoiler | VX Tails | Mishimoto | Leatherseats Interior
Old 03-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
r3d05GTO
05 M6 Red/Black

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPopeye36...View Post
Iíve had headlight film on my 04 since new. Replaced them once due to a stone ripping into one of them, but as you can see from the attached, the lights are still perfectly clear. This car sits outside and was a daily driver for 10 years as well. 78k miles:

What type of film? Vinyl such as headlight armor? If not a sponsor you can PM me. Thanks! Those look great!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
Glynn
Pontiac Fanboy

2006 GTO Owner

Headlight armor on a daily driver that's been outside for years. The lens are in great shape even with the actual housing plastic starting to get old and brittle.

Worked so well I put them on my SS too. Good stuff.

2015 A6 SS w/:
Holden Bits|Warranty-Friendly Trinkets
Baby Mobile

2006 M6 GTO w/:
|Vararam|Ported TB/Intake|Kooks LTs|Magnaflow 2.5"|Pedders XA Supercars|Hotchkis Sways|4P CTS-V|LT1-S Twin|Billet Pro|Square 275/35 on 18x9et42|HINSON E&T Mounts|Whiteline, SuperPro, and Pedders Bushings|
John Doe's old ride. "1LE" GTO in progress...

1997 Grand Prix GT Sold
Old 03-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
SkiPopeye36
FPFQ Herder

2005 GTO Owner

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3d05GTO...View Post
What type of film? Vinyl such as headlight armor? If not a sponsor you can PM me. Thanks! Those look great!

Company is called Clearmask. Film is 3M brand clear bra.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:45 AM   #11
chris89topher
'06 Spice Red A4

2006 GTO Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to chris89topher
Quote:

I have nothing useful to add here except to say that is one beautiful car!! I don't follow this forum much these days because I sold my 2006 GTO (bought new) about 5 or 6 years ago. I manage a towing company and we towed one just like yours the other day. Mine was spice red but I always loved that blue!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2015 Audi S4, 2006 GTO, '99 Camaro SS & '02 Camaro Z28 *all gone but not forgotten*
Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
r3d05GTO
05 M6 Red/Black

2005 GTO Owner

Quote:
Company is called Clearmask. Film is 3M brand clear bra.

Ordered the clearmask set! Can't deny your results.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #13
Afroman
06 Cyclone GTO

2006 GTO Owner

I would clear coat them, put a film on, and ceramic coat the film. That is what one of the guys in this area who does coatings does for cars that are actually used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEden...View Post
you're quite the manwhore now aren't you

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]...View Post
Owing a GTO is like marrying a stripper. You know it's wrong and it's going to end badly, but the sex is so hot you can't help yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians Goat...View Post
No he ain't doing no freaking manwhoring, he has a collar around his neck lately, he rarely shows up anymore on Saturday's and when he does he usually has some HOT babe with him who causes him to constantly drool and walk funny!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #14
zech912
Wol Gemut

2006 GTO Owner

Premium Member

I put the suntek on my new GTI, wish I had done same on GTO before they got all chipped, I have new set in reserve and I will be having them done for sure. but I believe you are on the right path with what you are doing. It seems like Afroman's suggestions would be added safety. I was told by the guy who did my GTI, who was not selling, he talked me out of some ideas I had that would have made him money, that ceramic coat will not really protect the headlights, just make them easy to clean.

ďOthers have caught on, but they haven't caught up." ...1968 GTO ad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LS1GTO.com Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Where you live (must be accurate to IP location, if wrong you may be permanently banned)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: