LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Suffering Fools
15,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
²⁰¹⁷ ᶠᵒʳᵐᵘˡᵃ ᵒᶰᵉ

We might actually have a race tomorrow. I was kinda hoping Ferrari was sandbagging during testing, but I guess they weren't. Last year Lewis was terrible at starts and Seb was great, so if that happens tomorrow and Seb gets the jump it could be a really interesting race.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Fun race. Loved watching Ferrari out mercedes Mercedes with pit strategy. Verstappen was a bit understated. I miss the feisty pain in the ass he was last year. Best he could do today was hold up Lewis - that certainly worked out for Vettel. Hoping he can get back into form for China.

·
Suffering Fools
15,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda get the feeling that Hamilton would have run away with it if he hadn't been stuck behind Verstappen. I guess we'll see what happens next week. I wish Haas would have done better too.

·
Goat sold
844 Posts
Has anybody been to the Canadian Grand Prix? Or any F1 race? I am planning to attend the CGP in June but know dick about F1 racing. I've been to many sport car races, but have never attended anything open wheel. Anything I should know?

·
Suffering Fools
15,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're not going to be allowed to get as close to the cars or pits or anything else interesting. WEC, Tudor, Indycar all let you go down in the paddock area but F1 and MotoGP do not. If you have a GA ticket you won't be allowed in the grandstands at all, ever. Not even for the support races. Bring earplugs. Be prepared to see a lot of fake boobs and people drinking Heineken.

·
got mods
2,536 Posts
I've been to F1 @ Indy and Austin, had grandstand seats @ Indy, but spent time walking around. Austin was good with GA tickets, walked the entire track while taking time to stop at different places to take in the view and photos.
One year had plans to go back before F1 quit Indy there was a pit walk around ticket included with package price. Didn't get to go that year, would have been cool to get to see the cars up close.

·
got mods
2,536 Posts
Has anybody been to the Canadian Grand Prix? Or any F1 race? I am planning to attend the CGP in June but know dick about F1 racing. I've been to many sport car races, but have never attended anything open wheel. Anything I should know?
Be prepared to be next to, meet up and hang out with race fans from around the world. F1 draws a different crowd than other racing venues, all good from times I've been.
Canadian GP would be a next trip for me, Mexico looks like it would be fun.

·
Goat sold
844 Posts
Yeah I got grandstand tickets. The GA areas looked limited and didn't want to fight the crowds for a decent view.

·
Probably older than you ...
452 Posts
I was lucky enough to attend the Canadian GP way back in 1994. The CIRCUIT GILLES-VILLENEUVE is beautiful. One thing that I liked was the fact that from almost anyplace in Montreal you could make a quick walk to the subway and ride all the way to the Ile Notre-Dame.

My wife and I were lucky enough to be guests of Team Lotus, so we did get to hang with the drivers (Johnny Herbert and Alessandro Zanardi) and actually had passes that allowed us in the team garage. We had silver grandstand tickets but chose to watch the race from the garage. The only thing we could not do was step over the garage/pit line during the race.

We actually had tickets/passes for the entire weekend, including Friday, so we took advantage of the ability to see practice and qualifying from our grandstand seats and the GA areas. If the area is still GA, I found the grassy area just past turns 1 and 2 to be very exciting with lots of action and a nice view if the pit action. Whatever the case. I'd recommend the Canadian GP to any enthusiast.

As far as other races, my wife and I also attended races at two of my other favorite tracks, Spa-Francorchamps and Monza. In Belgium we got seats on the outside of Eau Rouge (Radillon), but I think even GA tickets could afford a great view. If anyone is lucky enough to go try to get weekend tickets so you have a chance to walk the entire circuit the day before the race. Be prepared for some walking as the course is huge. It's amazing to see the speed of the cars up the Kemmel Straight. And, you can get waffles from the shops between Les Combes and Malmedy.

We went to Monza as part of a group from Grand Prix Tours. It was worth the money. Our tour guide showed us where the "hole-in-the-fence" was so that we could walk the old part of the circuit and climb the banking. The Ferrari fans regularly go crazy, which makes the event even more exciting. I don't think there are any bad viewing spots at the Autodromo, but there's always action at the first chicane (if you can get grandstand tickets).

Good luck to anyone lucky enough to attend a F1 race. It's a trip!

·
Registered
21,503 Posts
I have been to Austin F1 every year, except the last one. My employer almost always has a corporate suite Turn 13-14 Trackside. In 2015 we got access passes to the pits.

LIke some one else mentioned, GA is good enough at COTA. Also correct about boobs and overpriced shitty beer. Parking will be expensive, so might wanna split the cost with your guests.

I plan on going to Austin this year as well. All it costs me is $40 in fuel to drive up n back.. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, I've always heard that the season really starts with Spain (probably relates to the old days of the pre-Spain test) so let's get the party started.

·
got mods
2,536 Posts
Ferrari is happy! Front row @ Monaco GP for Kimi & Sebastian.

I was almost back-up driver once, never got the call. :sneaky:

Attachments

·
got mods
2,536 Posts
Could have been back up for Seb, he didn't need any help......

Congrats to Scuderia Ferrari, long time no win @ Monaco!

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,912 Posts
:thumbs:

Not gonna lie, I grinned at Lewis's qualifying fail. I was also hoping Kimi would hold on for the W.

·
Goat sold
844 Posts
Just got back last night from Montreal. The GP was great, but I will say it was a cluster getting in and out. A tree falling on the will call booth sometime Sunday morning did not help matters. It was just chaos with no one knowing what line you needed to be in. They setup this ad hoc ticket station that was extremely inadequate to handle the crowd. Luckily we lucked into a relatively short line that they closed right after we got in it. Some people waited 3 hours to get tickets.

·
Suffering Fools
15,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I gotta think that any on-track incidents are going to draw larger penalties for either of them from here on out. It still seems like Mercedes has the better car. When Louis is in the lead he seems to get way out in front more then Ferrari does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts