LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody here encountered a na/ 01 cobra? I happen to think this is a drivers race and would like to know your opinions.

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
i blew away a new saleen the other day me and my buddy were cruisin side by side hes got a camaro ss LT1 and this saleen came up revvin we went from a light and i seen him in my rearveiw, but i raced a stock cobra to and had him by little bit less then a car length.

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
well we go out on weekends ive met up with a few guys from this board, but we have the best cruise area ever, everyone brings there cars out on the weekends here, ive raced too much but i cant resist i love to hear the engine roar when i top out third gear then fourth, ETC..... Find a cruise spot near you or hop out to local car shows most people there know whats goin on after hours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
a 01 cobra vs a 04 GTO, I think if the Gto is a manual then it should win.

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
ONZZ said:
a 01 cobra vs a 04 GTO, I think if the Gto is a manual then it should win.
I would think that after installing the Predator tuner, the A4 should be matched with the M6.

·
Chief Poncho
3,032 Posts
I haven't posted this until now because it really was no big deal. A few weeks ago while I was cruising around in my 04 GTO, I notice up ahead a Mustang with the plates MYSTIC on them. Chance had it that he was coming up to a red light. I eased up on his right as the light turned red. I'm no an expert on Mustangs, but it was that chameleon color and had the cobra emblem on the side. It appeared to me to be a 1999 Cobra, maybe 01? Anyways, the driver was around my age. He had his wife with him. As we're sitting at the light he yells over, "How do you like the new GTO". I responded that it's a great car. He says, "That's a nice car, what's it have". I told him a 350HP LS1. He says, "Nice".

Now as we're sitting there waiting for the light to turn green, I knew something was going to happen, but didn't know what. When the light turned green we both leave the light normally but briskly. As soon as I shift into second he slams the throttle and I do the same. I immediatley pulled ahead by car length and a half, but traffic up ahead prevented anymore, so we both eased off. He got behind me after that. At the next light I turned right and he went straight. We both gave each other the thumbs up sign and went our way.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
You gotta love it, nikivee. :D

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
2001 Cobra has the 4.6L 32 Valve DOHC engine. They have decent rated power to a max of 320 HP stock. The engine doesn't impress me much. It is the same engine offered in some Lincoln,Mercury and Ford Vehicles. After reviewing the 2003 Cobra Engine and seeing that Ford can make a top notch engine that people can throw up to 700HP (give or take but proven) without changing anything that is stock, except power added (different SC or more boost from the eaton stock SC). I just wish Ford would have put as much time into the interior as they did this engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well I raced one last week. It was a 2001 cobra coupe with gears and exhaust and he handed me my ass!! However I was stock so let the modding begin! Have to respect the cobras, even the naturaly aspirated versions., they all run pretty strong! I like the cobras but I Love my goat! :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bolt on na cobra is very quick., similar to bolt on mach1s . but lets have a bolt on gto vs the na 4v modular mustangs!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
It's gonna be a drivers race. Basically from a dig its gonna be the person with the best hole shot. This is the same as a Mach1 so i wouldn't say this will be easy. Stock vs stock of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having owned and raced a 01 cobra. With less then 500 miles on car. Car had a [email protected] air cleaner, half a tank of gas, and stock tire and pressure. I did a total of 3 passes with car. Slowest time was a 13.7, fastest time was a 13.54 @105.54. 60' times ranged from 2.18-2.22.

If you can run those times with a new goat, then its drivers race.

Definetly not a slouch. :cool:

Last year mystic cobra was 1996. Not avaible in 99-01 cobra.

96 are slower then 01 cobra.

·
2,432 Posts
DSG03 said:
Having owned and raced a 01 cobra. With less then 500 miles on car. Car had a [email protected] air cleaner, half a tank of gas, and stock tire and pressure. I did a total of 3 passes with car. Slowest time was a 13.7, fastest time was a 13.54 @105.54. 60' times ranged from 2.18-2.22.

If you can run those times with a new goat, then its drivers race.

Definetly not a slouch. :cool:

Last year mystic cobra was 1996. Not avaible in 99-01 cobra.

96 are slower then 01 cobra.
If those are the times then nikivee will have the Cobra beat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
AmesGTO said:
If those are the times then nikivee will have the Cobra beat.
Like I said its a drivers race. Not sure what his other time slips were that day.

Other variables such a tire pressure weight removal etc. come into play.

I think you guys should start a section with et's mods dyno etc.

This way you can get a good cross section of what times you can expect from the goat.

Nickvee has one of the quickest times for a gto that I have seen. Most guys are not running this quick.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used to have a 99 Cobra with the fix which is bascially the same as the 01 cobra. It dyno'd 279rwhp 284rwtq after the fix stock. They are fast cars and alot of people underestimate them. Mine ran 13.6 at 103-104mph after the fix with a bad 60ft on street tires and really bad wheel hop. That is faster than most the GTO times i have seen. I even raced few stock LS1 F-bodies and won some races and lost some. So a race between a GTO and 01 Cobra would be a driver race if they are both manuals, but the 01 Cobra will win if he raced a A4 GTO.

·
US Monaro-IBM/B/M6-K&N
739 Posts
I agree that the SVT and GTO are an equal match and it really depends on driver skill .. while the SVT'Stang has power and weight advantage, it has problems "hooking up" .. and that has to be done by a driver to manage the traction ... '05 Stang's will be a challenge, Fellas ... heads up.
......... BBD :cool: IBM/B/M6-Stock

·
NFC Champs
883 Posts
nikivee said:
I haven't posted this until now because it really was no big deal. A few weeks ago while I was cruising around in my 04 GTO, I notice up ahead a Mustang with the plates MYSTIC on them. Chance had it that he was coming up to a red light. I eased up on his right as the light turned red. I'm no an expert on Mustangs, but it was that chameleon color and had the cobra emblem on the side. It appeared to me to be a 1999 Cobra, maybe 01? Anyways, the driver was around my age. He had his wife with him. As we're sitting at the light he yells over, "How do you like the new GTO". I responded that it's a great car. He says, "That's a nice car, what's it have". I told him a 350HP LS1. He says, "Nice".

Now as we're sitting there waiting for the light to turn green, I knew something was going to happen, but didn't know what. When the light turned green we both leave the light normally but briskly. As soon as I shift into second he slams the throttle and I do the same. I immediatley pulled ahead by car length and a half, but traffic up ahead prevented anymore, so we both eased off. He got behind me after that. At the next light I turned right and he went straight. We both gave each other the thumbs up sign and went our way.
He must've had it repainted with that BASF chameleon paint, because it wasn't offered as a factory option in 99 or 01. But the outcome is pretty much what could be expected I would think.

Both are great cars, I would love to have either. I know that bolt-ons and a freer-flowing exhaust really wake up the DOHC V8s...to the tune of high 12s with a solid-rear axle and some DRs. The Cobra's biggest problem is hooking up from a dig. I had the opportunity to play around in a 2001 about a year ago, and even from a roll if I nailed it, the damn car would hop. I drove a GTO a few weeks ago at ASIM and couldn't make it hop for the life of me...much better IRS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts