LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try and not make this too long of a story. I was headed east on sr520 on my way home at about 10:30pm or so MMOB. I see the HID headlights behind me kinda riding my butt. After a short while he finally passes me and I see those ever familar quad tail pipes and four doors. He ends up taking off and getting ahead of me and because of traffic I couldn't catch up. Low and behold we get off on Avondale rd with me ahead now. It is a two lane road and the right lane opens up so he pulls right up next to me with no other cars in sight.

Now here is the stupid part.....the speed limit on this road is about 40mph and that is what we were doing. I put the car into 2nd and rev it once. He does the same and then he hammers it. I proceed to mash the gas pedal. He instantly pulled about a 1/4 car on me. Shift to 3rd I gain the ground right back. DEAD EVEN all the way to 4th. I shift to fourth thinking that one of us would start pulling. Nothing dead even. Then at about 110mph I start to very slowly inch forward. By about 120mph I think I had a foot maybe.

I was surprised b/c I thought I would lose the race but it was soo close. This is the closest race I have ever had. It is kind of fun looking over as you are running through the gears and neither car is pulling. After we slowed I rolled down the window and so did he. It was some middle aged asian guy that was giving me the thumbs up. So we both exchanged thumbs up and went on our ways.

I love those M5's and was a little surprised I was able to stay with him. It was a good race. Now I know I was stupid racing on a residential street but the only reason I did was because there were no side streets on our side of the road which means I couldn't have run into anyone. But it was still fun.

·
Registered
506 Posts
yes, congrats.

and don't frickin' do that again on a resi street.

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
red car FTW!

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
danrieke said:
yes, congrats.

and don't frickin' do that again on a resi street.
Damn it I missed that part. Big +1:judge:

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
nice run! I had some fun with an m5 on the highway, just going back and forth. He wouldnt give me a real race though. His wife was in the car.

·
Release the hounds!
102 Posts
Doesn't read like a kill, but a dead heat?

Either way, nice work, because M5s are the bomb!! I think they're actually rated at 500+ hp at the crank, while I haven't seen a dyno... Was it new?

Not to be a party pooper, but I've read that most people don't really come close to maxing out the potential of these badged BMWs. E.g., their tranny has 11 different modes and they're probably in the wrong mode, whereas my truck has one mode, as I would think the GTO has, that being: Go-time.

Still, nice to hang with the deadliest, stock, sedan on streets, from what I understand. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
V-8 or V-10 M5? Either way, good run.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it was the V8 one. It was a dead heat with me inching ever so slightly towards the end. Lots of fun but stupid at the same time. I love those M5's and would love to own one. I can't wait to run into him again on the highway to do some up top pulls.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My cousin has a 01. As soon as our schedules open up were are definately going to race. It will be video tapes so Ill post as soon as it happens.

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
V8 M5s weigh about 4000lbs and 0-60 is around 5 sec. flat.
So it is a pretty even match.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts