LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
the 5.7 rookie
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting an 04 and i was wondering how the body roll is?? im sure its pretty bad my friends have a couple gtos and i noticed there kinda slopy.. what have you guys used to correct that and make the body stiffer? thanks guys

·
the 5.7 rookie
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats all you guys got for me? is the gto a good drift car? is it to heavy? does the possie stay possie when your not on the gas? who has drifted there car? body roll?? controll?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please don't drift your 20,000 dollar Car, your going to break it..

you have to remember the car weighs ALOT. and remember that it's not really the car your drifting it's inertia, power to weight ratio and entering and exiting speeds... the car has 350hp and it's rwd with traction control off your not going to have a problem sliding it sideways.... it has fairly soft suspension so it's going to sway... get some lower profile tires. sub frame connectors. i think you will be fairly happy with it... i have a 1985 corolla with a gts swap and built suspension.. that is a drift car... light fast and quick revving...

I guess you could drift the gto... but remember parts are expansive practice in a parking lot first and please. keep traction control off

ps.. they under steer a little

good luck

·
Registered
387 Posts
Really good advice from previous posts. Pedders and bmr parts are key! Take a look at Rhy's specs for his drifter. If you are doing it for fun then just do suspension and get some more HP and lot's of tires. IF you want a contender then follow Rhys's cue and get even more tires. Either way it's a good drift car if set up properly and at the end of the day it's all about the driver in drift not necessarily the car.

·
DAE HAN MIN GOOK!!!
1,925 Posts
i heard somewhere on this forum that using the e-brake on this car to drift will cause it to freak out or something along those lines.

you can always get rid of non-essential items like seats and such to make the car lighter.

·
yeah its really slow
286 Posts
If you pull the e-brake wile driving it wont work it makes a loud clunking sound and then beeps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
+ 1 on the ebrake comments. If you notice Rhys has redsigned his ebrake system to work properly and of course changed his whole brake set up. But remember there are many ways to drift. It all depends on the car and what it likes and the driver and what he/she likes. To overcome the stock car setup one could try a fein drift style that works well with the car and it's sloppy suspension. The downfall is that it's not as graceful thus loosing points and takes a lot of practice. I personally think the ebrake method is the easiest to learn and does the job.

There are so many things to consider when drifting a car that we could write on this forum for days. Drifting is best described as an art form. There is nothing like taking control of an out of control car and make it look like it was intentional and graceful.

The GTO may not be the best car to begin training on but it all depends on the driver.

The AE86 platform has always been the favorite to learn second to that is the nissan 240.

Guys remember this is all opinionated and to really know what to do, one needs to buy tires and get out there and try it.

It's all fun!

·
Registered
292 Posts
here's a little drifting 101 for ANYONE with a rwd car.... if you have a rwd car you DONT need to touch the e-brake to drift properly..... EVER!!! just down shift comming into the head of the curve/corner/turn.... the torque from downshifting tightensup the tail enough to give you a short e-brake effect that starts the drift.... as soon as you come off the clutch and feel the backend start to come loose get into the throttle and fan it out smoothly(dont STAB the throttle)
takes a little practice but once you learn you'll be like "what e-brake"

·
Registered
15,015 Posts
i heard somewhere on this forum that using the e-brake on this car to drift will cause it to freak out or something along those lines.

you can always get rid of non-essential items like seats and such to make the car lighter.
The "e-brake" is really a "parking brake" it's "drum-like" device inside of the rear rotor.

They are an all on or all off type thing and only meant to be put on when stopped...

Not advisable to yank that handle up at 50+ MPH :bomb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know why you want to pull your emergency brake, use the throttle to control the oversteer (Drift). The GTO is fine in sustained oversteer, the large amount of body roll should be momentary when you initiate the manuever then recover, so don't let this panic you into stopping.
Or modify the suspension to stay flat like the Corolla GTS mentioned. ( those are fun cars, I had an '86).

·
RMR Employee
544 Posts
Max from RMR here,

I took out our factory suspension silver street car off our website to a drift day the other day. plenty of motor.

rhys drove it as well, and the absolute biggest thing you need to do the car to make it drift worth is to change the rear diff, tighten it up. rhys was happy with the cars handling characteristics in the suspension for a stock car,. The rear diff whill help it roatate and keep the rear rotating out consistantly. without changing the rear diff, even rhys fights with the big bank at irwindale., the car constantly wants to straighten out. very dangerous for a first timer, the car has enough weight where you can almost use more speed to your advantage, if your carrying enough speed through the course, and flick it right, it will hold a power off slide through most anything to slow yourself down. now touching on the e-brake subject, even the pro's use it. if you come in a little too hot and cant get the back to rotate, this is an easy way of getting the angle back that you need, just make sure that your on that clutch and ready to kick it and compensate

·
Camaro5.com!
22 Posts
I think this is a great thread for people wanting to do something other than haul ass down the 1/4mi. I've just reciently got an '05 GTO m6 and I'm still searching through alot of information before I take it to the local skidpad. Going from a fwd (well all Ive ever had were fwd) to a rwd is huge, but thankfully this isnt my first day hearing about drifting. I'm anxious to see what this car can do as it will be my 1st driftable car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
here's a little drifting 101 for ANYONE with a rwd car.... if you have a rwd car you DONT need to touch the e-brake to drift properly..... EVER!!! just down shift comming into the head of the curve/corner/turn.... the torque from downshifting tightensup the tail enough to give you a short e-brake effect that starts the drift.... as soon as you come off the clutch and feel the backend start to come loose get into the throttle and fan it out smoothly(dont STAB the throttle)
takes a little practice but once you learn you'll be like "what e-brake"
does that mess up or put a lot of strain on anything, ie clutch, engine...? because when i was first learning to drive stick i did that on mistake a couple of times when i was down shifting.

·
RMR Employee
544 Posts
does that mess up or put a lot of strain on anything, ie clutch, engine...? because when i was first learning to drive stick i did that on mistake a couple of times when i was down shifting.
RMR here again. i suppose its all personal oppinion. this manuever might be possible witha built car, but it is not good for ANYTHING. The best way is to downshift, but over rev, and then dump the clutch, "clutch kicking" is the proper way to do it. by overpowering the rear it will break loose. another way is to pull the e brake, then clutch kick. but your asking for somthing to break if you downshift and dont rev match the motor. bad bad

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's all about balance, you use the brakes not to slow down primarily, but to shift the weight to the front of the car, off of the rear wheels. Do not apply alot of gas while entering a corner, unless you want to understeer off of the road. After you break and you turning, progressively apply the gas. While the car is rotating, begin applying opposite lock, but not too much or the car will snap back and you will be catapulting in the direction of the opposite lock. Make sure when you are coming out of the slide with countersteer (opposite lock) that you progressively return the wheel to the center position. for better drifting, get a really stiff rear suspension setup. I have a CTS-V and it is way stiffer than the GTO and it is much easier to have clean powerslides, the GTO is a little more clumsy, it seems.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts