LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the actual difference between the 04 and 05/06 front brake lines? Eventually I plan to upgrade the front brakes on the 04 to 05/06 brakes, so if I put 04 style brake lines on now, will I be able to use those brake lines on the 05/06 calipers? If not, can I put 05/06 brake lines on now on my 04 calipers without causing trouble?

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
04 lines are slightly longer and have a different caliper fitting on them.

04 front lines will fit the 05/06 calipers, but 05/06 front lines will NOT fit the 04 front calipers. So, if you want to upgrade/change the front lines now, then you need to get 04 lines which will also work on 05/06 calipers in the future. Sort of a win-win with 04 lines since they work on either calipers and are slightly longer.

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, follow up question. I have the 04 brake lines on the way and I think I have a line on a good set of 05/06 calipers. I already have the required bushings for the front caliper bolts. So to finish the parts list I need to finish the process I'll need rotors and corresponding pads. I assume I just need to buy 05/06 rotors and they would just slip right on and no additional fitment needs to be done. Correct me if that's wrong.

Also, does the 04 master cylinder work okay with the 05/06 calipers? I don't need to change the master do I? I sure hope not!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yes you just need pads and rotors, everything else will work the same. As well as the master. Isnt that much of a difference to effect anything. Thats why people can put brembos on without issues. Only problem is low vacuum cams making the brakes mushy.

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
46,855 Posts
Yeah 04 dust pans are too short for the 05-6 rotor. either cut the lip off or take them off if I recall it was something like 3 little bolts and a bump with a hammer. DO NOT bend them out of the way you'll chase a noise later. PITA. I fixed like 3 local cars becasue of that mess - someone dumbazz on here said you can just bend them out of the way. (might have been me, don't think so, but meh)

and I'd honestly take the moment to swap to a set of SS hoses and just get whatever you can put hands on which is probably going to be the 05/06. that's what I did - and I might still have a set sitting - need to chek. Hell I need to empty my garage and offload a bunch of stuff.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
46,855 Posts
I vaguely remember they unbolt from the hub with little things. but it might also have been that they were riveted on and I drilled them - as I swear I did that to a car once too.

memories - they change with age, whisky, and sleep.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
46,855 Posts
paint them or don't.

what rotors and pad are you thinking. I ran DBA's almost exclusively - I had a set of the 5K series slotted only. don't get drilled rotors.

I wouldn't recommend the 5K series - way way spendy. but I'm sure there are some other knockoffs now days.

pads I used to love wagner thermo - quiet for daily driving. Porterfield for the track.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
The dust shields are riveted on. I drilled the rivets out and removed them on my 04.

Helmet Personal protective equipment Gas Metal Bell

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yea I just checked my parts pile. I got rid of mine. Sucks they are riveted. May try to drill and tap the hole and mod another set of knuckles I got.
in the marker for pads and rotors too. Not in the mood to get brembos right now.

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
paint them or don't.

what rotors and pad are you thinking. I ran DBA's almost exclusively - I had a set of the 5K series slotted only. don't get drilled rotors.

I wouldn't recommend the 5K series - way way spendy. but I'm sure there are some other knockoffs now days.

pads I used to love wagner thermo - quiet for daily driving. Porterfield for the track.
I'm very happy with the StopTech rotors and Power Stop Street Warrior pads I have on the 06 so I'll probably just get those. I previously had Hawk HPS pads which worked great but created WAAAY too much dust.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
46,855 Posts
Never liked hawk pads for the money and I never give stop tech centric inc. money.

Smurf them.

But either way. Power stop kits seem rather popular. I think they are centric too

There is no rotor made in America that I know of.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts