LS1GTO Forums banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
I've been a little bit sick lately and it has been pretty cold out, barely getting to freezing for a daily high, so I haven't been able to get out to the shop recently. I'm still feeling a little run down from the flu but I got entirely stir crazy so I went for a drive and stopped by the shop. I got one front and one rear caliper off the hubs but they are still attached to the fluid lines. I got the dust shield off the front hub. I test fit the rotors after I cleaned up the hubs a little. Everything fit well. I'll chip away at this a little bit at a time. It was right at freezing when I went up to the shop but I dressed well so I didn't get cold during the hour I was up there. If it doesn't get a lot colder maybe I'll get the other side loose in the next few days. The bolts were certainly tight but once they broke loose they all came out fine.

The little rubber boots on the rear where the parking brake cable lever sticks out are destroyed. I have some spare new ones so I'll put those in while I'm in there messing around. The parking brake shoes drag on the new rotors a little bit so I'll want to clean up and repack the parking brake actuators/adjusters anyway.

I also noticed that the front pads were almost completely worn down. The rears looked almost new. Just an observation, not sure if these are original pads or not.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Yeah it’s getting cold here too in south central PA. Glad my garage is conditioned so I can work on a car in comfort year round.

You able to throw a space heater in your storage unit to take the edge off over the winter months?

· Worthless reject member
83,748 Posts
i use a kerosene turbo heater, which works very well to heat up my UN-insulated garage, the downside of course is the very fine layer of soot that eventually settles on everything.

EDIT: sorry, typo.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Yeah it’s getting cold here too in south central PA. Glad my garage is conditioned so I can work on a car in comfort year round.

You able to throw a space heater in your storage unit to take the edge off over the winter months?
New owners of the place and the lease agreement clearly states no space heaters. I get it. I could close the door while I'm up there and they'd never know but a better plan is to just limit my time up there and dress real warm. I can't drive it in this kind of cold anyway (Summer only tires) so there's no particular hurry. Not looking forward to the messy part of breaking the fluid lines loose though. But since I have all new calipers, I'm thinking I could mount the new calipers first and then break the lines loose and immediately connect them to the new lines on the new calipers. Still messy, but only for a few minutes at a time per corner. Well, that works for the front, in back I still have to break loose those inner lines completely to replace the inner flex lines. Anyway, given how easily the bolts all over this car have broken loose, I'm not expecting too much trouble getting the brake line fittings to break loose.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Gotcha. A safe dry garage is better than nothing, and you are overly lucky to have a space like you do have with electric.

Could always get a bunch of halogen lights which kick off almost as much (if not more) heat than most space heaters…

Reactions: evsnova74

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Gotcha. A safe dry garage is better than nothing, and you are overly lucky to have a space like you do have with electric.

Could always get a bunch of halogen lights which kick off almost as much (if not more) heat than most space heaters…
It's an awful big space with no insulation for those to make enough heat to make any difference. If I had a good option for the daily to not sit outside, I'd have the GTO at the house so I could work on it at any time. My house garage is attached but isn't heated but it is always 10-15 degrees warmer than outside. But if the GTO was at home, the daily would either sit outside or would be parked 6 blocks away at the shop. I don't like either option.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Hmm, I’ve never had any desire to garage a daily driver, and would happily punt one out of the garage for a winter if it meant I had easy access to work on one of my summer toys. If you’re daily means a lot to you though, then I guess that would put you in a conundrum.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I love my daily! I drove junk for decades so I could spend all my money on my cool cars. My very first new car sat outside for the first 12 years of its life (had it 25 years) and in the end that really took a toll on that car. My current daily is 7-1/2 years old and only has 46k on it since I've worked from home for the past 5+ years and it has been garaged since day one. It is holding up much much better but then has only been driven in the snow about two dozen times and that stopped when I stopped working at the office. It is lightly modded and lightly tuned. It is quicker than my old musclecar but the GTOs would trounce it. Super reliable and fun to drive. Best car I've ever driven in autocross. I should do more of that next Summer.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
As long as that works for you then that’s all that matters. We get brand new daily drivers roughly every 4 years, so couldn’t care less about them being in a garage to make them last longer. I get it if you want to hold onto them for a long time though.

· Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
2,497 Posts
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've always garaged my daily driver and raced my previous daily ('87 Camaro) at the drag strip and drove it on road race courses. I haven't officially raced the GTO, but I've had several impromptu races on the street and exercise the throttle frequently. :)

· Premium Member
905 Posts
I use a small space heater just right next to me to keep my immediate area tolerable, in addition to a wood burning stove that keeps about a 5 foot radius nice and toasty. One of these days I'll insulate the shop, it's a big metal building so sometimes it seems colder inside than out. And all the heat from the stove seems to go right out the roof.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
i might crank up le old heater today to see if it even runs.
My 12 year old self says:
Ring! Ring! Hello? Is your space heater running? Yes, it is. Then you'd better catch it!!

· Have Bar, Will Travel
46,863 Posts
With a decent coat of sealant and interior treatment on a daily I don't have any issues with them setting outside. they are actually made for such.

battery life might tapper off but again it's a daily should the drive should stave that off too.

also remote start helps alot these days

meanwhile on the heater I see where IR heater sets work really well in garages. the idea being let it run in advance and let the IR surface heat the various places. like tool drawers, floor etc etc. They do make electric ones but I think they need their own circuit.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Got the other two calipers off today and got the new parking brake cable lever boots put in. Wasn't even up to freezing so that's all I did today. Well, I also reinstalled the X-Air with a better flexible coupler too. That turned out to be more work than it should have been. My toes were getting sore from the cold. The 6 block walk home from the shop warmed them back up though.

Supposed to get into the 50s tomorrow so I'm hoping to get the new calipers mounted up and all the lines swapped in. I can then recruit a friend to help me bleed the brakes, but it will be a while before I can bed the new pads and rotors in since it rolls on Summer-only tires which I won't take out unless the temps are warmer than they are likely to be until March or so.

I just got another nice raise at work yesterday so I might just pop for some Pedders stock height springs while Andy has a sale going on. Should get sways too. But if I'm going to get sways I should do Konis and poly bushings for the RRs and better toe rods and, well, it all gets out of control pretty quick!

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Favorite tool I wished I'd bought sooner. Motive products bleeding kit.
I've got one of those, never been able to make it actually work. Won't make a good seal onto the master cylinder.

I got the calipers all bolted up today and got the caliper bracket bolts, slide pin bolts and the fluid lines at the calipers torqued down. I got the old calipers off the lines. I attached the rear outer lines to the car. I still have to install the rear inner lines and the front lines need to be connected to the car with the new mounting brackets. I forgot to bring my metric flare nut wrenches so I couldn't attack the line connections, although I did the rear outers and they came loose with an open end wrench. Didn't want to risk trying that on the rear inners or the fronts. I also lost about an hour shootin' the breeze with another GTO guy I ran into while I was up at the shop.

Automotive tire Concrete saw Motor vehicle Gas Locking hubs

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle Fender

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Get lovels if you can. Sways helped a lot but if you haven't changed the radius rod bush doo that first. Absolutely
Why Lovells over others? I have them on the 06 and they are good, but I'm told the Pedders ride about the same and they are on sale at Kollar right now. Lovells have gotten pretty expensive.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts