LS1GTO Forums banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

· Have Bar, Will Travel
46,863 Posts
I just don't like pedders and their no bs crap. Lovells were awesome when I had them. If they are on sale and reasonable then get them. meh. or oyu know get koni's.

Also motive tool - I don't use it to pump the fluid in as I just can't get my mind to do that. I fill the res and then lock it on and pump to pressure - which cap do you have. Mine came with 2 caps one is supposedly modern ford - and it works the best and looks identical to the GTO cap. I have heard of people putting a oring in there or a smooth circle of rtv and smoothing it out. meh. Mine works ok but again I really only use it to put air ontop of the top off fluid.

ALso if you have the lines off - gravity bleed that merf. IE let it drip for a while before oyu attach the lines - gets most of the old fluid and some air out ahead of time.

do you have a runout gage - love that too. the actual steering wheel shake fix. gage dem rotors and try no to get rotor knots from pad deposits.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I just don't like pedders and their no bs crap. Lovells were awesome when I had them. If they are on sale and reasonable then get them. meh. or oyu know get koni's.

Also motive tool - I don't use it to pump the fluid in as I just can't get my mind to do that. I fill the res and then lock it on and pump to pressure - which cap do you have. Mine came with 2 caps one is supposedly modern ford - and it works the best and looks identical to the GTO cap. I have heard of people putting a oring in there or a smooth circle of rtv and smoothing it out. meh. Mine works ok but again I really only use it to put air ontop of the top off fluid.

ALso if you have the lines off - gravity bleed that merf. IE let it drip for a while before oyu attach the lines - gets most of the old fluid and some air out ahead of time.

do you have a runout gage - love that too. the actual steering wheel shake fix. gage dem rotors and try no to get rotor knots from pad deposits.
I have no complaints about the Lovells on the 06. Konis will be on the 04 at some point.

I'll have to look at the Motive tool again since it is just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I used it on my vintage stuff and it never worked. Might work better on the modern stuff. I could never get it to build any pressure, always leaked. But a modern master with a smooth plastic reservoir might seal better. I never used it for fluid, only pressure too.

I do have a magnetic base and a dial indicator so I can check the runout if I care to. No hurry for this project so no reason not to at least check it. Do you check it at the edge of the face of the rotor or in the middle of the friction face of the rotor?

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Saying you don’t like Pedders because of one of their slogans is a bit silly. I’ve had Lovells, King, and Pedders springs. All of them work well and are an upgrade over stock stuff. If something is on sale, and in stock, get ‘em.

· Have Bar, Will Travel
46,863 Posts
I didn't liek their sales tactics, I didn't like their shade on other people parts when the others made them first, I didn't like the early days of you don't need sways . . . . . then suddenly they make a set and OMG you need sways . . . . .

So yeah some times the other stuff around the company makes me avoid their product regardless of how good it might work. It's never been proven to be the best strut, or the best spring etc. but are the parts good, probably will I spend the time to cross shop absolutely.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I didn't liek their sales tactics, I didn't like their shade on other people parts when the others made them first, I didn't like the early days of you don't need sways . . . . . then suddenly they make a set and OMG you need sways . . . . .

So yeah some times the other stuff around the company makes me avoid their product regardless of how good it might work. It's never been proven to be the best strut, or the best spring etc. but are the parts good, probably will I spend the time to cross shop absolutely.
Sounds like how I feel about Hendrix and also why. I do recall one particular vendor selling Pedders being like that but I don't recall that being Pedders themselves. But I didn't enter the GTO scene until 2010 so I think I missed the worst of that as related to Pedders.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Pete Basica is who you’re thinking of. He was a tad bit arrogant about the company (he was/is Pedders USA President). He gave us arguably the most valuable coilover installation videos ever created which were a blessing for me.

That said, I didn’t prefer his sales tactics either. Their products are good though. I couldn’t possibly be happier about the 2 sets of Xa coilovers I’ve purchased; neither were from him though.

Reactions: Rob

· |G|et |T|urned |O|n
05 GTO, PBM, M6, SAP, 18s
2,081 Posts
I didn't like the early days of you don't need sways . . . . . then suddenly they make a set and OMG you need sways . . . . .
lol, forgot about that….so true.

· Have Bar, Will Travel
46,863 Posts
Not too get too deep in it but it wasn't just Pete. And thing is I met Pete more than once and talking to him in person a few times he was an ok person.

Other pedders marketing and their own people from aus did the same shit. Pete's crew and the wretched crew put out a lot of good into. But don't install your own stuff though...... Not sure if all places did this but self install voids the warranty.

Again it got old fast. Coilovers are another issue for another day

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
I wrapped up all the hardware install today. Got all the lines in and connected up tight. Every single line broke loose without any trouble. Back in 2014 I didn't even have such luck on the 06 and it had probably only about 35k on it at the time. On the 06 I had to bugger up one of the hard lines on the rear control arms. It didn't want to come loose and the head stripped out and I ended up using Vice-Grips to get it loose.

I found that my power bleeder couldn't be used, there isn't enough room around the top of the master to attach the power bleeder top plate. So, since I was alone I thought I'd try gravity bleeding to at least get fluid into the calipers. I've never actually had any luck getting gravity bleeding to do anything but this time it actually worked quite well. Let each caliper bleed until fluid came out at a steady rate. This should make the 2-man bleeding process go quicker and easier since there is now fluid in all the new lines and calipers.

Here's what the front calipers look like with a wheel on.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

· Worthless reject member
83,747 Posts
only bleeding method that has ever worked for me is either having another person to help by working the pedal, or using the seat motors and a pushbroom, lol.

Reactions: Rob

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
only bleeding method that has ever worked for me is either having another person to help by working the pedal, or using the seat motors and a pushbroom, lol.
I've done the stick on the pedal a number of times but it is so super tedious. The two-man method is so much more efficient. I'm not in any particular hurry with this one since I probably won't be able to drive it once it is done anyway given the weather. But you never know, we could get a few 60 degree days before the Winter is over. But even if we do, I doubt they will fall on a weekend.

Next up will be to get the JHP gauges installed.

· Premium Member
905 Posts
I do the bit with a bottle with clear line going to the bottom. And when I loosen the bleeder and push on the pedal a few times, it never sucks the same amount of fluid back in as it pushes out. And since the clear line has fluid in it, once you've got all the air out it only pulls fluid back in that last time you let off the pedal. So on net you get the job done without having to hold the pedal to the floor and close the bleeder.

This is one of the dumbest videos I ever put out but it shows this method, and you can see how when the bubbles are getting pushed through, there's no way they're coming close to getting sucked back in when I let off each time.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
My brother showed up and we got the brakes bled in just a few minutes. The gravity bleeding reallly did the trick. We only needed 5-6 pumps on each caliper except the driver side front which needed about a dozen pumps. But all had fluid from the get go, we just had to work out a few bubbles here and there. The bedding process for the rotors is a bit tedious since you need to work the zinc coating off. Thirty stops from 30 to 5 without stopping and 30 seconds between each. Was a super bonus to have my brother along who timed each span between stops. I then did 5 more aggressive stops to finish bedding in the pads themselves. The rotors were scraped nice and clean. It stops straight and firm with no pulsing or pulling. No steering wheel shake at all. I had just a tiny bit of steering wheel shake while braking hard with the stock stuff so I'm glad that went away.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

So this thread will basically close. Next up is the JHP gauges install. Not sure how long it will take for the sending unit to arrive from kangarooland. Gauges will be here Tuesday. I can check the volt meter as soon as they arrive I guess. I'll need a 90 degree fitting for the sending unit as the Speedhut sending unit just screws in straight.

· Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
2,497 Posts
Nice job! Not having a brother or car friends close enough to help, I've had my older kids help with brake bleeding. They take direction very well, so once I explained it and called out the steps, it always went smoothly.

· Administrator
11,677 Posts
Looking good. I’m thankful to have a very willing and able wife to lend a hand whenever I’m working on the cars.

· HGH Optimist
24,605 Posts
More miles on the car since you got the brakes on?

I never bought my stuff for mine that I mentioned. Since my current daily driver is at risk of going kablooey at any time... I need to fix the brakes on the GTO. Might have to daily her until I buy myself a new ride.

· GR-RRR!
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
More miles on the car since you got the brakes on?

I never bought my stuff for mine that I mentioned. Since my current daily driver is at risk of going kablooey at any time... I need to fix the brakes on the GTO. Might have to daily her until I buy myself a new ride.
Nope, just the one drive the day we bled the brakes. Been too cold here to drive on Summer-only tires. I've checked it a few times since then though, no leaks anywhere. Waiting on the sending unit for the oil pressure gauge to arrive so I can get that all installed. Then, if the weather warms up I'll take it for another spin.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts