LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm cruising back to my office from Staples and I'm in the left turn lane at a stop light. I look in my rearview mirror and I see a a WRX STi pull up behind me. So what does any GTO driver do when they're just minding their own business? Yup, I turned off the A/C and TC! Now I know that by the numbers the STi is quicker, but it sure would be fun to see. The light turns green and we both casually make the turn. He pulls up next to me (with his buddy in the passenger seat) and gives me the "thumbs up". Then we did the typical "How do you like it" conversation. So we're crusing along and the light in front of us turns red. Sweet! As it turns green, we both take off slow, then look at each other and hammer it! Oh was it sweet. The GTO pulled hard, and as I shifted out of 3rd into fourth I relized his hood was next to my trunk. At that point I decided that my point had been made, and I didn't need any tickets so I let off and gave him a thumbs up. Fun stuff. I love this car!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
congrats.......isn't it fun?

you just can't get this kind of entertainment in a rice box

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sweet kill man, i thought you would have gotten your butt handed to you. those things are damn quick

·
NFC Champs
883 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
you just can't get this kind of entertainment in a rice box
For the most part, I agree. But I've ridden in my friend James's STi, which is relatively well-modded and it pulls like no other. I've seen him waste C5s at the track, and that thing is a blast to drive on a nice mountain road. One time our car club did a trip up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to see the leaves change (and enjoy the twisties ;)) and I rode with him and it gripped the turns and dug in.

Nice run tho, I think in stock form the cars are pretty evenly matched, though I think you're pretty lucky it didn't go down from a dig.

STi's from a dig are about the equivalent of a ZO6 with slicks and a drag suspension.

·
Single Digit Stick Shift
4,088 Posts
pinski said:
STi's from a dig are about the equivalent of a ZO6 with slicks and a drag suspension.

I am sorry to say keep dreaming because STI's are not running high 11's. I have seen a few Z06's and I don't think an STI, unless heavily moddified, will beat a one with slicks and a drag suspension. I maybe wrong though, who knows.

·
NFC Champs
883 Posts
BillyGoatGruff said:
I am sorry to say keep dreaming because STI's are not running high 11's. I have seen a few Z06's and I don't think an STI, unless heavily moddified, will beat a one with slicks and a drag suspension. I maybe wrong though, who knows.
I wasn't talking about times, it was more the feeling you get from a 5k rpm launch.

The Z with slicks and drag launch setup would walk a STi badly because it will keep up with it on the launch and then just pull away.

STi's shine in the launch, that's what enables them to smoke cars that would otherwise be faster...it's also often why STi's lose races from a roll. Parasitic loss in the AWD drivetrain is greater than a rwd or fwd vehicle, but from a dig you get nothing but traction, which is more than I can say for my car ;)

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
BillyGoatGruff said:
I've seen first-hand street-legal WRX's running in the low 9s. You don't want to meet up with my buddies at ESX:

But for us normal folks, an STi or a mildly modded WRX will own most LS1's in the 1/8th (key factors are weight and AWD). It'll be an even-match in the 1/4 (the Subaru will own it out of the hole and the LS1 will catch up on the top-end). A heavily modded WRX or a mildly modded STi will own most bolt-on-modded LS1s in the 1/4, even those with slicks.

I know first hand. Here's my 330hp WRX against a modded LS1 Vette [Click for video]:

He caught me on the top end, but later, with a few mods, I beat him (though he still had me by a tenth when he was running slicks and I didn't even break traction with 1.8 60's). I usually owned most bolt-on F-body LS1's, even those with nitrous.

All in all, sounds like GTOWILL earned some kudos and rightfully gave some. Both are great cars.

Padre

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
You took away his most prized asset in a drag race. His ability to launch with AWD under boost. This is why you won and he lost!

After that point, (depending on his mods of course) the LS1 will own him and as can be seen here, did! If he has some serious work done, this may not be the case, but I find that most WRX owners simply think their cars are lightning bolts and don't realize they need to take advantage of their AWD launching ability to hang in a race. If they are uneducated (or highly modded and wish to hedge their bets on those mods :D ), they play right into my advantage, an unending supply of raw power to which I freely unleash. :D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
One thing about a drag race with an AWD car is, you have to drive them HARD to get good performance out of them. Like padre said you dont lose traction, so allll the stress goes to the tranny and clutch. I should know since I have killed one tranny and one clutch on my WRX. I dont drag race anymore because I cant afford another tranny replacement. So remeber LS1 guys, everytime you race a Evolution, WRX, or STi, while he is launching past you from the dig, and you are spinning your tires, he is beating the crap out of his drivetrain. And as it has been discussed on many subaru boards, they arent drag cars.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
goatwrx said:
...while he is launching past you from the dig, and you are spinning your tires...
Which brings me to my next question... Who says the '04 GTO has to "spin the tires" at launch? Isn't the ideal launch the one where the tires are right on the edge of losing traction? I've left red lights with a very satisfying two or three chirps from the 275 Toyos and felt like I was catapulted to the next intersection.

Now, the STi's big advantage at the line is traction. Assuming the GTO gets a "perfect" launch as described above, who is going to win? My assumption is the STi takes the 1/8th mile, the cars are neck and neck at the 1/4 mile, and then 1/2 mile down the road the GTO is walking away. Sound about right?

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Like mentioned before, the GTO will be the winner in the rolling start scenerio. With 300 ft/lbs of torque available from 1200 rpms the Goat has the advantage (and of course the WRXs turbo lag (only a split seconds worth). Lets not forget the experience of the person behind the wheel. The guy in the WRX should have known he would lose his advantage with a rolling start. I have 10 kills to date and no losses and I give props to the car and myself knowing the abilities and weaknesses of the competition. I haven't had the chance to go against an STi yet but I'm sill looking!!! The thing about streetlight racing is that you have to be ready to have your ass handed to you once in a while. If you know that then a loss isn't soo bad! IMHO

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
A slight amount of wheelspin is optimum. Not a tire shredding smokeshow.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
when i raced my friend in his WS6 I launched hard and got a 1.8 60 ft time, and he was far behind me, as i got down the track he caught up to me at about 3rd gear, he was just pulling on me like i was stopped and we both pulled identical 13.9s. It was funny to see him flying up toward me when i was already so far ahead.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you race an sti try to sucker him into something with a rolling start. Otherwise he turns up to 6k rpm and pulls the holeshot from hell. You can possibily recover at around 100 mph but most street runs dont last long enough for that. Take away his best weapon the holeshot and you have a chance with him.

I have learned one thing and that is those things are fast!

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
03mach1 said:
If you race an sti try to sucker him into something with a rolling start. Otherwise he turns up to 6k rpm and pulls the holeshot from hell. You can possibily recover at around 100 mph but most street runs dont last long enough for that. Take away his best weapon the holeshot and you have a chance with him.

I have learned one thing and that is those things are fast!
They are fast and you would be lucky to take one even on a roll. I have ran stock ones that stay dead next to me up to 100mph from rolls. My car is completely stock 2002 WS6. Don't play the driver game either, as I have been through a driving school and know how to run my baby. They run low 13's in the 1/4 compared to GTO hi 13's...(stock) They are also very easy to mod and many of them are.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
I think the key was "street legal" There is no way a car with an engine like that monster V8 Turbo would be running street legal...
I think the WRX can get away with it because they dont need slicks due to their AWD.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts