LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I tried searching but I can’t seem to find solid info on using a parts house Remanufactured 05/06 caliper rather than getting something used from eBay. Are they the same caliper bracket assembly? Pros and cons? Seems about the same price as used on eBay. Just trying to get everything together for the brake upgrade. A recommendation on rotors and pads that won’t brake the bank would be appreciated! Car is my daily driver and only sees roads, no racing... yet.

·
It's only cosmetic...
524 Posts
Same brackets. The front caliper, rotor and pads are different, and the rear rotor is different.

The rear caliper is the same, just painted. The rear rotor is solid on 2004 and vented for 2005 and 2006.

I have a stoptech z36 kit on my daily and it works well. Not too expensive and a little better than factory.

I would recommend that if you are refreshing the parking brakes, buy the ACDelco parking brake kit. It has the lever dust boots and return springs included.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,303 Posts
If you haven't already looked, look through Rock Auto's parts lists and plug your part numbers into Amazon.
You may find OE parts, new or reman, that are affordable.

GM parts listing sites tied to a dealerships typically suck at pricing or gouge you on shipping.

·
Freedom Fighter
831 Posts
I bought my calipers from advance auto. Some places like rock auto make sure that the ones you return are the same as you bought. Advance doesn't care if you return 04 calipers.

Reactions: The Banana Goat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought my calipers from advance auto. Some places like rock auto make sure that the ones you return are the same as you bought. Advance doesn't care if you return 04 calipers.
Glad to hear someone has gone this route and everything worked out. Thanks for the peace of mind!

·
GR-RRR!
6,463 Posts
I used Centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads and got them from Kollar Racing. Everything has worked fantastic including a few trips to the drag strip and road course. The HPS pads create a fair amount of dust but that is a small price to pay for how well they work. The Centric rotors have a galvanizing coating on all the nonbraking surfaces so they still look great two years later. I already had braided stainless steel lines and yes they really do make a difference.

Just be careful when cracking open the brake lines, especially the right front, that you don't let too much fluid drain out and get an air bubble in the ABS pump. That can be really hard or impossible to clear without a tool like the Tech II that can cycle the ABS pump.

·
Freedom Fighter
831 Posts
Glad to hear someone has gone this route and everything worked out. Thanks for the peace of mind!
If you have any questions, let me know. I kept my rear calipers but installed 05-06 rear vented rotors and pads. And i used corvette pads on the front because the brake pad material goes all of the way out to the sides of the shims.

I painted my calipers with caliper spray paint, but it is so fragile. I would use air cure cerakote if I could do it again

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,238 Posts
When I did mine I used 05 corvette calipers that I got from a guy I knew that was going wilwood on his vette. If I recall the caliper and bracket were the same so easy peasy. Always use the 05 vette brake pad as mentioned above - littie extra pad material - cheaper part (more common).

I did help a guy that got his calipers from Napa reman'd. went easy too.

Rotors I like the wagner rotors if you can get them easily. I avoid Centric and their othername companies like the plague. Every time I have ever used centric rotors I 've had return runout issues with them.. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Let's see - doing the work. Get thee a 10MM flare nut wrench for removing the brake hose off the brake line - it's worth it. If you can swing it get the SK metric flare nut wrench trio off the internet for like 60. If not - the gearwrench from advance auto fits well. Or you know just get the one 10MM. I will tell you on other things I have used the 12 and the 13 so they come in handy on other cars.

As you bleed the calipers that you installed - tap the caliper body with a rubber mallet to make sure you get any trapped air out.

FYI I used DBA rotors and still do on my G8. I really don't think the 5000 series front rotors were worth it but I had them anyway.

Brake fluid - for daily driving use I like the valvoline Syn power DOT3/4 fluid. It's cheap and easy to get, and clear. When I would race my car I would flush that out with ATE BLue.

Did you get your bolt spacers yet?

·
Freedom Fighter
831 Posts
I also used valvoline fluid and dba rotors. Mine are t2 streets

·
Registered
247 Posts
I see strip cars running 15" rims (rear). Stupid question: will 15" rims clear my oem rotors and caliber ?
Am looking at a deal on some 15" Eneki (Japan) rims.

·
Registered
340 Posts
OP did you complete the 2005 caliper upgrade? What condition were the calipers in? I am looking at doing the upgrade early next year. There are tons of posts on this.
Did you go stainless or reuse the 2004 lines?
How about the pistons and o-rings? Good?

I have a set of 2005 fronts and rears that need cleaning up. May need to repaint. Haven't decided on rotors and pads yet. What did you go with?

Anyone else upgrading brakes in 2020? Seems like most of the old posts are back in 2005-2006. Long time ago.

·
Freedom Fighter
831 Posts
OP did you complete the 2005 caliper upgrade? What condition were the calipers in? I am looking at doing the upgrade early next year. There are tons of posts on this. -I used remanufactured calipers from Advance Auto. I explain why in this thread
Did you go stainless or reuse the 2004 lines? -The 04 lines are longer and I reused them no problem.
How about the pistons and o-rings? Good? -New ones came with my calipers. You really dont need to upgrade the rears, but if you are keeping them red, I think they are already painted whereas 04s are not. I painted my new front calipers and my old rear calipers blue.

I have a set of 2005 fronts and rears that need cleaning up. May need to repaint. Haven't decided on rotors and pads yet. What did you go with? -See my sig

Anyone else upgrading brakes in 2020? Seems like most of the old posts are back in 2005-2006. Long time ago.
I have put answers in your reply. I did this In 2018 along with most of the suspension.

Reactions: EZ28

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
10,238 Posts
after 10 years of age I highly - highly recommend new lines. and if you do new lines might as well get the SS braided, but if dollars are tight and I get that - get new rubbers.

eitherway.

If wanting to rebuild calipers it's a relatively easy yet time consuming job. worth it if you can do it. it's also worth painting bits to make it pretty if you have the time. best thing cosmetically I think I ever did to my gto was ditch the spoiler for the JHP lip - and paint the caliper brackets black.

odd I know.

·
Freedom Fighter
831 Posts
If I had to do it over, I would have cerakoted them. Caliper paint isn't very durable at all.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have put answers in your reply. I did this In 2018 along with most of the suspension.
OK, so you used calipers purchased from advance. Are those the same as the 2005-2006 PBR stock calipers made in Australia? That's what I want to use and so have many here.

·
Freedom Fighter
831 Posts
OK, so you used calipers purchased from advance. Are those the same as the 2005-2006 PBR stock calipers made in Australia? That's what I want to use and so have many here.
Yes but they weren't painted red like the stock ones. I cleaned them with a wire wheel and brake clean. Then I painted. However, I would use air dry cerakote now in a preval sprayer. Choose your color.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Cool. The set I bought online I haven't fully inspected yet. They are pretty dirty. Do you have a part number to share?

·
Freedom Fighter
831 Posts
Cool. The set I bought online I haven't fully inspected yet. They are pretty dirty. Do you have a part number to share?
Part number for what?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The caliper part number?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts