LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one taken factory 05' cat back and installed on an 04' to get outlets on both sides of the tag? I've seen many for sale 05 cat backs. As 05' owners have upgraded and don't want to just throw away the original exhaust. So any one done this? If so what extras are needed in the way of under body hangers, fittings, heat shields, under body trim, rear facea etc?

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
You mean like this?

Attachments

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Or like this?

The last one is of my old SLP exhaust. Before I swapped out for the Corsa.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
That's a JBA system that comes with the pass side hanger and will bolt to the 04 Midpipes.

Otherwise all you need is the 05/06 midpipes or Longtubes and a 05/05 stock or aftermarket catback with the hanger.

The inserts for the 04 bumper are from PYFC. They also sell a Borla catback that splits the exhaust as well.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the replys folks. I can get the 05' cat back from a friend who upgraded his '05.
What is "05/06 midpipes or Longtubes "?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
What do you mean? I posted a pic of my 04' with Kooks, and catless 05' mids. I have pics of the 04' catpipes, and catback bolted to gether. As well as 05' cat pipes and cat back. Check it out. Pics are taken from the engine side.

04'

05'

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you want to stay stock then you need the 05/06 catback and the mid pipes as the 04 mid pipes connect to the catback differently. If you want to do it the best way buy Kooks headers with the 05 mid pipes and run an 05/06 catback of your choice. After all this you still need a passenger side exhaust hanger, the rest of the hangers are in the exact same location as your 04. You dont need the other heat sheild, but I do notice that my 05 Borla gets pretty hot at the tips after a 30 minute drive or so.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get it now, the '05 has a pre muffler just past the H on the '04's in the intrest of keeping the price down I'm goin to try to have an adapter made to fit the '05 to the '04 cat system.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Black Devil said:
What do you mean? I posted a pic of my 04' with Kooks, and catless 05' mids. I have pics of the 04' catpipes, and catback bolted to gether. As well as 05' cat pipes and cat back. Check it out. Pics are taken from the engine side.

04'

05'
can't see pictures something about image moved or deleted

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Sory. Was going through my photobucket album the other day. Messed alot of threads up. Thring to fix them. Try again in about a half hour.

edit: Should be fixed now. Sorry

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can see the pictures now, thanks. going to crawl under the car tomorrow and measure up the two cat backs, from the pictures it looks like the '04 cats run farther back than the '05 making an adapter difficult, but we'll give it a try anyway.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Try these. The biggest obsticle is the way the 04' vs. 05' cats exit. They are close to the same leangth. If you choose to remove the resonators from the 04' cats, then you can have a new set of pipe made to fit the 05' catback. Also, the 04's are 2.25 inches, and the 05's are 2.5 inches.

04' stock cats with Corsa.

05' Stock cats, and cat back.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to buy '05 cats, the only clean way to go. Is there any problem connecting to the LS1 exhaust manifolds?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
High Octane said:
I'm going to buy '05 cats, the only clean way to go. Is there any problem connecting to the LS1 exhaust manifolds?
'04 guys correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding was that they are the same as far as the connection goes. You get my pm on those btw?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
The cat pipes bolt right up. No issues at all. As far as I can see. The 05' 06' manifolds are the same as the 04's. I have now installed two set of headers on 05's, and my own set on my 04'. They are the same.

Biggest differance in the inlets of the cat pipes. Just a bigger diameter. Does not affect the sealing area of the pipes.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jdo6696 said:
'04 guys correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding was that they are the same as far as the connection goes. You get my pm on those btw?
Yes and reponded, vtown1616 was the first to respond to my call for cats so I was working a deal with him first. Sent him a Paypal payment so I should have the cats buy friday which gives me the weekend to install.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Black Devil said:
The cat pipes bolt right up. No issues at all. As far as I can see. The 05' 06' manifolds are the same as the 04's. I have now installed two set of headers on 05's, and my own set on my 04'. They are the same.

Biggest differance in the inlets of the cat pipes. Just a bigger diameter. Does not affect the sealing area of the pipes.

That’s good news, got with local dealership and ordered rear passenger heat shield and hangers, if the cats show up buy Friday I'm all set for a fun weekend under the car. Going to be a little stressful cutting the bumper cover but can't make an omelet with out breaking the eggs.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question, looks like 2 O2 sensors on the '04 per pipe, are there 2 O2 sensors per pipe on the '05 I only see 1 per side in the picture. If yes no problem, if going from 2 sensors per pipe to 1 per pipe what do I do anyone?

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
In my first set of pics. The 04' exhaust is the only one with o2's. I removed the o2's from the 05' exhaust for my headers.

Notice my second set of pics a few posts up. The 04', and 05' cat pipes have the front o2's right in front of the cats.

Notice that the second set of o2's are set just before the trans crossmember.

So, you will be reusing all 4 o2's in your 05' cats.

·
Member +145mph club
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Black Devil said:
In my first set of pics. The 04' exhaust is the only one with o2's. I removed the o2's from the 05' exhaust for my headers.

Notice my second set of pics a few posts up. The 04', and 05' cat pipes have the front o2's right in front of the cats.

Notice that the second set of o2's are set just before the trans crossmember.

So, you will be reusing all 4 o2's in your 05' cats.

Thanks.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts