LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know about the fabled exhaust tone of the 04. One pipe per cylinder bank with no X pipe or cross over and leading to each individual resonator but exiting out on the driver rear side. One pipe is slightly longer than the other which improved the harmonics of the sound and resulted in a sweet rumble that has been advertised to death in the Pontiac website and what brought a lot of 04 owners to the showroom and possibly convinced them to take the plunge.

Now that the 05 is getting split dual exhaust exiting on either side, will the exhaust note and rumble be the same, better, or worse?

I know the F Bodies have both cylinder banks leading to a Y pipe and then then a crossover and as a result, it is not a 'true" dual exhaust by the purest definition of the word so the sound is not as impressive. They also exit on either side like most GM cars do. Will the 05's sound more like the F Bodies even if they are still true duals or will they sound closer to the 04 because they ARE still true duals.

Any predicitons?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Well, I tell you one thing. If they mess with the sound, ie. make it sound quieter,
there's gonna be some p'od people. With all the hub bub Pontiac made over the 04
exhaust note, I doubt very seriously they changed anything with sound. If anything
they would make it flow even better and have even more of a rumble.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
I expect a sweet tone. I have had true duels exiting from each side and it was sweet. I expect it will be slightly better than the 04. Remember, the 04 sound is an attempt to duplicate a 64/65 GTO which exited to each side.

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
I personally think it sounds just a tad meaner.. but thats just me.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It'll remain virtually the same, except for where it comes out. That won't make much of a difference in terms of sound quality as the resonators and mufflers are so far forward and still in the same place. It'll still be a true dual setup, so no mixing like the F-Body's have. Unfortunately, some fail to realize that a small balance tub CAN increase torque some. And once uncorked from the muffler of death, the F-Bodies sound excellent too. Just a smoother impulse stream from the mixing, resulting in a more mellow tone.

The big thing will be the added displacement increase and any cam profile changes that'll make the difference. Not where the outlets come out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts