LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Powdercoat all of it
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Located in longview, texas

Update 7/17/20: I extracted the bolt, just needs sweat equity that I don't have. Price increase to $5,800, motor does not have to come out.

Let me start by saying the car does not run, but everything is there. I was installing heads, and an ARP bolt broke off. I have put too much time and money into this car, and I don't love it as much as my others. Therefore, it must go.

The car is an 05 PBM A4 car, original LS2 still in there, but with tons of maintenance. I'm the 400th owner or so, I bought it last April from a guy in tennessee. I almost immediately went in to freshen things up to chase lifters. Yep, at least 5 lifters were bad. I replaced the lifters, cam, and every gasket in my way. Unfortunately, I suffered a head gasket leak down the road, so I dove in again around 2 months ago. For this round, I used acdelco head gaskets and arp bolts. That's where it is today, the 7th bolt on the driver side broke off in the block on the way to 80ft-lbs. The threads were clean, ARP said they've heard it before and know it was the washer slipping on the head. They sent me a new bolt lol...

So, the car doesn't run. Otherwise, LOTS of maintenance and upgrades. Here's what I know is wrong with the car:

Airbag light on for a Momo steering wheel. The resistor is installed, just needs reset.
Passenger side red door insert is missing. Just needs some new red suede and some super 77
the AC had a leak when I bought it, I'm sure it's leaked out by now. I include several new ac parts with the purchase.

Mods and maintenance in the last year include:

Mill and new valve seals on stock 243 heads with new PAC 1218 springs
Trunnion upgraded rockers
New morel 6504 lifters
New ls2 trays
New oil pan gasket (not installed)
Crank scraper and windage tray (not installed)
Smoothed Dorman ls2 intake
New ls3 throttle body
New fast 30332 injectors
Powder coated D585 coils and brackets
New seat upholstery
New headliner
New xair otr intake
Hinson motor mounts
Melling high volume oil pump
1 7/8 ss longtubes
Magnaflow catback (excellent sound)
New circle d 3200 converter with billet upgrade
New b&m flexplate with ARP bolts
New rear main seal, aluminum barbell
Fresh (0mi) Trans rebuild with shift kit and upgraded 3/4 clutches
Plate and frame trans cooler
DSS 1pc aluminum driveshaft
Powder coated brembo conversion with new pads, rotors and hardware
New brake master cylinder and booster
18in drag wheels with good tires
Eibach lowering springs
koni shocks
Whiteline bushings
Spectre radiator
Wideband AFR and oil psi gauges
Double din stereo
Aeromotive stealth fuel pump
Aluminum BMR skid plate
Spyder headlights
DEPO tail lights (with oems in boxes)
LED everything
Pearl white plastidip two-face, dip is in decent shape and can be removed if desired

It had good oil pressure before the work began, I'd expect the same, but I also know that bolt won't come out by itself. I'm asking $5,800, shouldn't be too out of line considering the car is complete minus some muscle and machine work. Time for me to move on. 228-243-3833

·
Worthless reject member
40,770 Posts
i just used the jegs bolts on my poopy 5.3 i have on an engine stand. specs say to torque to 30/50/75 futlubz. washers are smooth, bevelled on one side. had no issues.

no experience with arp bolts, only studs. i have heard arp has two different types of washers with their headbolts. which ones did you have?

anyway, any particular reason you haven't tried to extract the broken headbolt?

·
Powdercoat all of it
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not tried to remove it, other than with alcohol. Unfortunately, whiskey did not remove the broken portion. Maybe I need to try a stronger proof.

I spoke with arp, they led me to believe they may be considering a washer with a serration on one side to grab the head. These washers are flat/smooth on one side, beveled on the other.

For those who didn't see it, here's what you're looking at with this purchase:

·
Powdercoat all of it
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's how the engine bay will look, plus a pcm (pcm is in the mail for an update to reflect the parts on the car). Missing hardware, coils, brackets, wires, evap solenoid, etc is in the trunk.

Attachments

·
Powdercoat all of it
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eh, tire kickers on Facebook market, low ball trade offers... Guess I kind of expected this. Going to put it back together this weekend if the weather cooperates, then the price goes up.

·
Powdercoat all of it
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been offering to take parts off to get down to the offers, but no interest so far. I've offered 400 for the intake, 100 for the fuel rail and 150 for the coils to drop the price, but doesn't seem the Facebook marketplace clientele knows what to do with that. $5000 seems to be the magic number, but they want all the parts for that price.

I think reality TV has ruined the experience. A lot of people asking questions about how many hours it'll take to get it running, lots of optimistic questions. I get the idea people are thinking this is a quick afternoon and $5000 return on investment. You see that on graveyard cars and the like. Oh well, the traffic is welcome. Hopefully someone will get serious before I do. I'm re-tinting the back window after work with ceramic today, then it's all motor starting Friday.

·
Worthless reject member
40,770 Posts
If you were closer, i might. I could probably make most of the money back parting it to get it where i wanted it. Already have a motor i would put in. ;)

·
Powdercoat all of it
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I parted an 02 camaro a couple years ago and did great when all was said and done. The thought crossed my mind, as is evident by the pricing on the intake, rails, coils... heck, the freshly upholstered seats! And I discovered there is some decent stereo equipment in here yesterday when I took the package tray off for tint. Never heard of hertz for speakers before, but apparently, they're serious.

But that can't be the case here. I don't have the space and time for a part out like I did in mississippoli. And the gto market is smaller than that of the 4th gen. So, no, I won't part it. Two people have asked for my hood so far. Pretty sure I told the second it's free with purchase of an 05 gto.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts