LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While watching Car and Driver this weekend, they showcased the 05 Vette. When discussing the LS2 motor, they described it as a Dual Over Head Cam 24 Valve engine. I know some of you have talked about swapping out the heads on the LS2 already. My question is: If that is the true 24 valve dual intake valve heads, why would you want to swap them out? Those heads must have some massive flow rates stock. And, is that the same configuration in the 05 GTO?
Now the real question is: Any way to adapt those heads to our LS1's?

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
They are wrong. LS2's come with 2 valve heads. Modified LS6 heads I beleive but I'm not sure. The "LS7" is supposed to be a 3 valve head.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
Rob is right. The LS2 is still a pushrod engine as well, no overhead cams!!

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
zbaron said:
the LS7 will have the over head cams 3 valves
No it won't, the cam will still be in the block. I read the SAE(Society of Automotive Engineers) paper on the system they will use and it involves a special rocker assembly on modified cylinder heads.

·
4,663 Posts
NJTorque said:
No it won't, the cam will still be in the block. I read the SAE(Society of Automotive Engineers) paper on the system they will use and it involves a special rocker assembly on modified cylinder heads.
That's what I heard also and pictures I've seen show the added assembly.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
when is the LS7 supposed to debut, and on what car(s)?

·
4,663 Posts
RedThunder said:
when is the LS7 supposed to debut, and on what car(s)?
I think its going to be '06 C6. Probably a ZO6 again or the like.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I've even heard they scrapped the idea of three valve heads on the LS7. It should be a 6.4L motor also.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Car and driver is a bunch of morons

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
This is a pushrod motor. Since the heads are interchangable between the LS2 and LS1/6 motors, there is no way it could be OHC.

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
yeah the LS2 heads are simply LS6 casting with hollow stem valves, nothing groundbreaking yet. The LS7 heads rule though! ;)

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Also, I read in the new Hot Rod that the LS2 is the only motor making 400hp that does not get assesed gas guzzler tax. Not bad for old pushrod technology!

Doc

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Doc GTO said:
Also, I read in the new Hot Rod that the LS2 is the only motor making 400hp that does not get assesed gas guzzler tax. Not bad for old pushrod technology!

Doc
Well, the only 'production' motor. My old B16 on 18psi made over 450hp at the flywheel (calcuated) and I pulled 25-30mpg easily. :hail:

But i'd say their is no reason to question 'pushrod technology' that is years old and still running strong and nearly the best bang for the buck on the market still. :punch:

·
Registered
62 Posts
the LS pushrod motors may not be as techy as the competitions dohc V8's, but they are extremely efficient due to excellent heads and a whole lot cheaper to produce, thus the excellent pricing on the GTO, VETTE, CTS-V. i've owned vettes, and drove the CTS-V for 24 hours(well had it overnight and drove it a couple hundred miles). i had every intention of buying the caddy until i drove a GTO the next day at the same dealer(owner is a friend of mine). for 1/2 the money the GTO is an AWESOME auto and while i like the styling of the CTS better, its not worth $25k more. can you imagine what a GTO would be like if you put $25k into mods? HOLY COW is all i can say-heck even 1/2 that would be unreal.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Doc GTO said:

Doc
My LS6 Z06 did not get assesed a gas guzzler tax.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
CSiJason said:
Well, the only 'production' motor. My old B16 on 18psi made over 450hp at the flywheel (calcuated) and I pulled 25-30mpg easily. :hail:
You're comparing apples to oranges here.

Your B16 wasn't a 'production' spec motor running with your mods and at 18psi when making that level of power, now was it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts