LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
43,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't go onto a long explanation, just need a roller. Preferably torrid red, but will consider other colors. Preferably close to my location. The less parts on it the better.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
What is your location?

·
Worthless reject member
43,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hope your ok
thanks.

yeah, i actually didn't feel a thing. yay for rollcages, helmets, and harnesses. wasn't even sore the next morning.

Cheddar biscuits involved?
View attachment 504739
weird weather and a cold day at a dragstrip was involved.

ok, since you are the great LS2-GTO, creator of amazing FPFQ signature banners, battler of people of the popular opinion in the debate room, general cool guy and honeybadger, i will indulge you.

it literally rained just on the top end of the track as i was making a pass, for a second or two, then stopped. wife was watching and she said she felt maybe a drop or two. i saw a bunch of splats on my windsheild and suddenly it felt like i was skating on ice. weather forecast said it would be dry and almost no chance of rain. there was some light rain as we were starting to leave, but the track was over an hour south, and i thought it was some lake effect BS happening by where i lived. The trip down the highway seemed to confirm that, and there was no rain at all on the way down there. i got there, teched, no more rain for another 30-45 minutes while they finished getting the track ready, sky only looked partly cloudy. They went ahead and ran, and so did i. the tech guy right before i ran my first pass they said something to me about it having rained on the track, but it stopped. they told me i could run anyhow if i wanted. i was like, huh? whatever. must not be that serious.

first four passes were without event, but not good runs. was mid/high 50's, so not too cold, but i had trouble getting any heat in my tires. the track was prepped, but the surface was still cold. i had hoped the sun would heat it up during the day, and it did not. the fact that there was hardly anyone there to make passes to heat things up and lay rubber down didn't help, either. car managed to trap almost 126, although my 60 foots where initially horrendous because i just blew the tires off out of the hole each time. a few horrible 12+ second passes, and then i managed an 11.8 @ 125.8 with a 2.2 second 60 foot. yeesh.

I actually managed to hook decent on the 5th and final pass once i had adjusted my burnout. 4500 rpm launch and it bogged, so the 60 foot wasn't going to be great, but hopefully much better than the 2+ seconds i had been pulling earlier. probably a 1.9 form the way it felt. wish i could have known what my 60 foot was on that pass, maybe i could have extrapolated a little what i could have ran, but regardless... i was moving at a decent clip by the time i lost it.

oh well. time to move on with another project. i'll have to watch out for that weird weather pattern though. i remember that happening once when i was a kid, maybe i was 7, i don't remember. i was outside playing around and noticed and it was raining across the street, but not in my front yard. i looked up and the sky wasn't really cloudy. walked back in and my parents didn't believe me. i've never seen that happen since. or maybe i just don't pay attention.

·
Administrator
8,559 Posts
Pics of the aftermath?

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,243 Posts
Big bummer. Good luck with getting things sorted out.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
BUMMER. good luck finding a shell.

ive seen that phenomenon happen quite a bit though. maybe its a ks thing

·
Registered Winner
7,472 Posts
I still need a drivetrain. Just talking out loud here. Friend of mine has a SBC I could have, it's tempting.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
929 Posts
It sucks that your car wrecked itself. I totaled my '87 Camaro several years ago, it had a built-up engine, tranny, suspension, and brakes. I considered getting another 3rd-gen and transferring everything over, but I really wanted something that wasn't almost 30 years old and had more room in the rear seats for my teenage kids.

·
Administrator
8,559 Posts
Was that one a dedicated track car?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts