LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
43,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BUMMER. good luck finding a shell.

ive seen that phenomenon happen quite a bit though. maybe its a ks thing
i have a lead on a few. i will have to be on the lookout for similar conditions in the future. a front was coming in, humidity was low, weather in the 50's. the baro was set to drop but not by more than a tenth of an in hg.

I still need a drivetrain. Just talking out loud here. Friend of mine has a SBC I could have, it's tempting.
you can buy the ls1/t56 out of my blue car after i do the swap, lulz.

It sucks that your car wrecked itself. I totaled my '87 Camaro several years ago, it had a built-up engine, tranny, suspension, and brakes. I considered getting another 3rd-gen and transferring everything over, but I really wanted something that wasn't almost 30 years old and had more room in the rear seats for my teenage kids.
well, i was the one behind the wheel. can't really say it was the car's decision.

i learned a hard lesson about drag strip conditions, though. a tiny bit of moisture on the track can be serious, especially on a cold track. and track temp matters a lot more than i thought in the past. i don't get how people have the gonads to drag cars in 30 and 40 degree weather to pull these hero times.

Sorry to hear, that really sucks. Hopefully you get this new one up and running soon.
we'll see. at this point i think i am done with IRS and manual transmissions. and stock bottom ends.

Was that one a dedicated track car?
pretty much. a near max effort "naturally aspirated stock shortblock" weekend drag car. was just wanting a 10.9 with my h/c/i manual trans setup

what pisses me off is that i had the MPH to run a 10.99 or below, just needed the 60 foot. in my experience, i run the highest traps when the car leaves off the line quick, and lose a mph or more if i have a bad 60 foot. so, it could have trapped over 126 with a sub 1.8 second 60 foot, which would have been good enough for a 10.9.

i mean, i can keep telling myself i had a 10 second car, but without the slip to prove it, it is a moot point.

·
Super Moderator
14,525 Posts
Guess I'm late to the party. Happy to hear that you are ok sir. As they say, cars can be replaced. Rain on the track is a constant battle here in the PNW.

Worst thing I have had happen at the track was I hit a 10lb cat in the traps at like 127 mph in my fox mustang race car. It turned my front bumper cover inside out and turned the kitty into pink mist. scared the ever living crap out of me. It was pitch black in the part of the track. The track manager felt so bad for me that he gave me two free TNT vouchers.

·
Worthless reject member
43,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Guess I'm late to the party. Happy to hear that you are ok sir. As they say, cars can be replaced. Rain on the track is a constant battle here in the PNW.

Worst thing I have had happen at the track was I hit a 10lb cat in the traps at like 127 mph in my fox mustang race car. It turned my front bumper cover inside out and turned the kitty into pink mist. scared the ever living crap out of me. It was pitch black in the part of the track. The track manager felt so bad for me that he gave me two free TNT vouchers.
Poor cat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry to hear this, glad you walked away ok. 20 years ago the guy in the lane next to me at LACR put his beautiful 68 Camaro in the wall just past the 1/8th mile and he was a half a car length ahead of me so I saw it up close. It was a sub 40 degree night and after 400 passes that made me decide to quit racing my 1964 GTO that my dad bought new and I came home from the hospital in. That I couldn’t replace. I was set on building a faster dedicated bracket car and had most everthing together then life happened and I never got back on the track. Hope find a roller close by. If you were closer I’d consider offering you my 38k black parts car but Shipping would be a pain. What part of NWI are you in? I spent 4 years in Crown Point while in college.

·
Worthless reject member
43,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Portage, originally from Hobart.

Your black parts car would be awesome. They do have car shipping services, but i've heard they can be a PITA.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts