LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was in my local Pontiac parts store and we were looking around the parts computer, and low and behold my store finally had part #s for 05 GTOs.

I want to have split dual exhausts like the 05 is going to. I just dont like all on one side. I also really like the photos of the 05 rear bumper. I was hoping that it would be a simple fascia swap out and then just get the passenger side exhast tailpipe.

But after looking at the parts pictures, it appears its almost an entirely different exhaust setup from the cats back. It looked like it was going to cost a ton, and so I was really disappointed :(

So now I think I am just going to have the body shop cut my 04 bumper and do the PFYC split exhaust.

Anyone know if I just read the pictures wrong? I swear the mufflers were located in a completely different position and it looks like there is no X pipe on the 05??

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Alexandria-GTO said:
Ok, so I was in my local Pontiac parts store and we were looking around the parts computer, and low and behold my store finally had part #s for 05 GTOs.

I want to have split dual exhausts like the 05 is going to. I just dont like all on one side. I also really like the photos of the 05 rear bumper. I was hoping that it would be a simple fascia swap out and then just get the passenger side exhast tailpipe.

But after looking at the parts pictures, it appears its almost an entirely different exhaust setup from the cats back. It looked like it was going to cost a ton, and so I was really disappointed :(

So now I think I am just going to have the body shop cut my 04 bumper and do the PFYC split exhaust.

Anyone know if I just read the pictures wrong? I swear the mufflers were located in a completely different position and it looks like there is no X pipe on the 05??
It is a completely different exhaust. Whether there are X-pipes or not I'm not sure. It's detailed in I believe the 05 GTO pictures thread.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey Stealth...what did it cost to have the rear valance cut out? Do both sides look about the same after doing that and who did it...your dealership body shop or did you have to go to a custom body shop? I really like the looks of exhaust pipes on both sides too and have thought I would go that way if not too expensive.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ya ill post pics as soon as i can This is the cheapest way to covert the 04 without paying for all thoses parts. what i am running is the best way i think and its extremely loud and nice. The body shop made a tem plate on the other side they cut it out and then i went down to muffler shop and tehy cutt off mufflers from were the pipes bolt up together under the car i had them run 3 inch pipe all the way to the rear both sides with oval 3 inch tips the sound is nice and loud it bascally a cat back its louder than the loud mouth and looks better as soon as i get pics i will post them for ya

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would love that with only one pipe on each side. Can you tell that it was cut out of the bumper or does it look stock?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sam,

I love that exhaust, but its a sure NO GO here in VA. Dudes get under the car with mirrors. No cats/mufflers = impound :( Sometimes they just sniff for hydro carbons and then pull codes. But I doubt thats going to continue they are getting wise to people "faking out" the code tests.

Thats too bad they changed the stock exhaust in 05. I hope they didnt mess with the sound harmonics.

PFYC for me I guess, along with some bumper cutting and fabbing.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
just my 0.02, but i really like how the 04 with the added cut out looks better then the 05 bumper. im not trying to start anything, but my reason for buying the car was to have a sleak and stealthy look, so someone at a light, who doesnt know the car, is sitting there and wondering what it is untill i stomp on it and then they know!

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Alexandria-GTO said:
Sam,

I love that exhaust, but its a sure NO GO here in VA. Dudes get under the car with mirrors. No cats/mufflers = impound :( Sometimes they just sniff for hydro carbons and then pull codes. But I doubt thats going to continue they are getting wise to people "faking out" the code tests.

Thats too bad they changed the stock exhaust in 05. I hope they didnt mess with the sound harmonics.

PFYC for me I guess, along with some bumper cutting and fabbing.
Why the assumption that Sam's system has no cats or mufflers, out of curiosity? I'm not sure if he does but of course on the GTO it's very difficult to see the mufflers from the back, and I don't think it's actually possible to see the cats without the car up on a lift.

That said, the PFYC system does sound really nice IMO.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
agreed, you cant see cats, w/out lifting it or throwing a mirror under the car, trust me, ive been under my car plenty.... when the little lady runs me over!!! HA!!! ( no, not really, dont have a little lady, but thought it sounded funny)

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
GM did a nice thing by making the cat-back a bolt flange like on the truck. Unbolt the flange, pry off the hangers and drop the system. The rest of the cat-back is slip fit, so it easily comes apart and the whole system comes out without any hassle.

It only seems logical that Pontiac would use this point back for the '05 splits. I hope SLP and the others will make a "modifed" pipe for their right mufflers/resonators to go the passenger side so we just have to replace that.

As to bumper choice, style etc, I think there will be a few options so that we can have our stealthy '04 factory looks or the more flashy '05.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
phobos512 said:
Why the assumption that Sam's system has no cats or mufflers, out of curiosity? I'm not sure if he does but of course on the GTO it's very difficult to see the mufflers from the back, and I don't think it's actually possible to see the cats without the car up on a lift.

That said, the PFYC system does sound really nice IMO.
Sam has another great thread about true 3inch exhaust setup. Its from there he showed those pics first.

His exhaust is awesome, but in those photos it showed Headers - 3 inch pipe - outlet.

Loud and Mean....and if I still lived in Oregon id be all over it. But I cant here in NoVA.

For me I just happen to like the split exhaust, single or dual tip. I'm not trying to start anything either, so Sam I didnt mean to sound critical, I apologize if it sounded that way. I truly love that setup cause it must sound hardcore.

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Stealth-
below the quick reply window click on "go advanced" then click on 'manage attachments' and select and upload each picture. then when you post, the link will be attached.
If you really want to get tricky, like I have, after you upload the pictures, close the upload window then right click on the name of the picture and 'copy shortcut' then goto the yellow box with the mountain (right beneath 'size' and 'color' dropdowns above the message box) to insert a image and ...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
That's the way I do it. I guess that's because I was doing this in the old days long before all these BB's had all these nice user functions. We had to do it the hard way....{img}URL of the image you want here{/img}

Replace the {} with []

1 - 20 of 40 Posts