LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
old school bs. Have you actually tried to jump start it? Is there anyway to get to the starter and check with a test light while the key is in the start position? If test light lights with key in start position try hitting the starter with a small hammer. again, old school tests but worth a try. Sometimes simple sh#t works

·
Premium Member
35,713 Posts
just yank it and have it tested. it's two bolts and a 10 min trip to the auto store and back, and you can get a new one there if it's bad.

while you're at it check the wiring to the starter. you said you checked it, but double check it. there's a direct wire from the battery terminal for the motor and one from the relay to the solenoid. check the 60 amp main fuse, too, although if it's blown, i would imagine you'd have a few other things not working.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tried jump starting way back at the beginning. Didn't work. Found out about "secret" dash functions. Still reading 12.5 volts to system this evening. So battery is still good and strong, Even after a lot of time trying to figure this out.

Pulled and had starter tested. It's fine.

Fuses still good on everything. Well, everything but the airbags. I pulled that one to stop the chimes warning of a fault every time I turn the ignition switch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
“I'm still waiting for someone to call the other guy out on his "description" of all the grounds you should check.”
“I'm still waiting for someone to call the other guy out on his "description" of all the grounds you should check.”???

Apparently you can not yourself. I have the ground distribution schematic right here, I can post it if you'd like? When wrong I like to know why so I'm not that twice, that is how folks learn. Bypassing information, going straight to ridicule is the mark of a diminished capacity and an the attempt at hiding it that rarely works. Admit it to yourself, get stitches for the cut under the nose of your keyboard, do something useful and productive once in a while, add value to your life.

·
Premium Member
35,713 Posts
“I'm still waiting for someone to call the other guy out on his "description" of all the grounds you should check.”
“I'm still waiting for someone to call the other guy out on his "description" of all the grounds you should check.”???

Apparently you can not yourself. I have the ground distribution schematic right here, I can post it if you'd like? When wrong I like to know why so I'm not that twice, that is how folks learn. Bypassing information, going straight to ridicule is the mark of a diminished capacity and an the attempt at hiding it that rarely works. Admit it to yourself, get stitches for the cut under the nose of your keyboard, do something useful and productive once in a while, add value to your life.

·
Premium Member
35,713 Posts
Grounds, 3 stacked on the passenger side wheel house, another on the same side head and of course the battery
Had you at least mentioned the ground on the driver side head, i might not have said anything.

At least.

The ground schematic shows more than a few locations.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In fact there are 8 main points however if the point on the PS wheel house is compromised the other 7 are as well. Trouble shooting 101; start at the beginning. Simply hitting it with a meter does not always mean it is good, you take it apart, only need a 10mm, and clean it up. There is paint under those lugs so it is down 1 strike to start with and it don't come off like talkin about it, then there are the lugs themselves. A little corrosion goes a long way. Throwing money at an issue is not trouble shooting it's parts changing.

“Had you at least mentioned the ground on the driver side head, i might not have said anything”

“At least.”

That is difficult to believe, I'd say it would matter not what was said, right or wrong, you would make a mockery of it. It appears that you like to think you own forum(s), are the resident expert and take exception to anyone seen as encroaching upon the territory. People come to these things looking for help, the take away is the same as zero when all they get is a smart az and his buddy's. If you see something that may be incorrect see if you can be of help to correct. Load up your boat and take your trolling back to facebook.

Good day

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'll have to wait and see if it's fixed. Had it towed to dealer. Same one I ordered keys from last time it acted up like this. Got it there. Tried key again for giggles. Nothing. Its after hours so I head home. Back the next morning. Talking to service manager. He hops in and turns the key. It fires right up. They connect tech 2. Cant find issue. No codes thrown in history except airbag fault (which they reset). They kept it to look deeper. My new keys came in and they programmed them. Not sure if it will strand me again. The problem I suspected (key) is fixed, but it's starting with the old key too as it did before all of this. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok. It's doing it again. Bought hptuners last time it stranded me. I only wish when it did this it would start again after 15 minutes like others report. I was stuck outside walmart tonight for over 2 hours. Car is still there. It will start tomorrow or Sunday if the past is any guide.

I've spent a ridiculous amount of money (battery and hptuners) and time chasing this. Beginning to fear it's the bcm, pim, or pcm. Suspect bcm, (because of the airbag fault, and traction control faults that disappeared) but I dont have any way to read it and be sure because only the airbag fault left any sign that it had ever happened according to the tech2.

I cannot leave the car at the shop for weeks awaiting a "fault" so they can troubleshoot it. It been towed to the dealership twice and when they tried it started right up. No trace of the failure. No codes.

I am very frustrated with a "daily driver" that I cant trust to start. Even with the anti-theft features turned off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
To clarify, I bought hptuners mostly to turn off the VATS as this had been referenced as a way to "fix" the problem. Epic fail.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try unplugging your BCM and seeing if there are any damaged pins in the connector. I had that happen to me and it didsome weird stuff. Just something to check. Sounds like there may be an intermittent connection somewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No damaged pins or sockets. At least none visibly bad. I've also pushed and pulled (gently) the harness/plugs in every direction while trying to start it to try to find a loose pin/socket. It occurs to me I haven't really done the same to the wires going to the starter itself. If that yields nothing I may swap the starter (starter itself previously tested good) if I dont find a wiring issue there. It does have headers that previous owner installed so wires could have been damaged then. Never thought I'd be hoping to find damaged wiring in my own car. SMH.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A few other things to try that I haven’t seen mentioned.
BCM wire harness behind in dash glove box - just make sure no open wires near the metal bracket.

unlock car via fob right before attempting to turn off the immobilizer. I have to do this every once in a while To start it else just fuel pump and dash lights but no crank.

shorted ignition wire below the steering wheel. Caught a vid on utube randomly of the main wire being shorted on the metal steering column bracket. Think it was a red or maybe purple wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Been busy with work and, honestly, a little fed up with the gto stranding me. So I haven't gotten underneath it yet. Found a new starter for $100 (far better than the $260 plus $60 core charge local parts store wanted!) However FedEx bounce tested it on the way to my doorstep so it arrived with a broken solenoid connection. SOOOO I have to order another. I have everything on hand to repair and heat shield the wiring if needed. Just not big on the idea of dropping the starter twice.

I know for most it's a minor job, but every job is more complicated when you have physical issues complicating every step of the process. Nerve damage sucks.

I'll update as the saga continues

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, second new starter is due to arrive today. First one arrived damaged. I'll hopefully be changing starter and inspecting wiring soon.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts