LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 06 header back, suspension car, with a built T56, 1 piece driveshaft. and a few other small things.

My oil pump gave up this morning... I pulled it back up my driveway and shut it down. Obviously I need to go Melling High Volume Oil Pump but what next.

Might as well do a cam, whats the point of that without Heads. I was looking at the Texas Speed Head and Cam packages. Any suggestions on of them? or other?

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3237-cylinder-heads-camshaft-packages_pontiac-gto-2006.aspx

Other things I need to check or replace?

Id like to spend around 6 or less getting it back up and going.

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
The stock heads flow pretty good but the tiny cam in the goats don't take advantage of that flow potential. If you don't want to get too invasive, throw a bigger cam in it and enjoy. But, since the heads will have to come off, prime time to do something with them too, but be careful, the budget can get eaten up quickly. Lots of options.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
the oil pump failed? How? how many miles do you have? You checked the actual oil pressure? I'm asking because its quite odd for an oil pump to fail. Usually what happens is:
sending unit fails, giving a low reading
cam bearing are worn causing a low pressure
or the oil pump pickup oring is leaking

I'd hate for you to band aide it and not correctly fix it. I'm definitely not a fan of melling oil pumps. Factory pumps are usually better. My buddy had this same issue and pump a high pressure pump and it masked the problem for a while but came back...his cam bearings are worn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the oil pump failed? How? how many miles do you have? You checked the actual oil pressure? I'm asking because its quite odd for an oil pump to fail. Usually what happens is:
sending unit fails, giving a low reading
cam bearing are worn causing a low pressure
or the oil pump pickup oring is leaking

I'd hate for you to band aide it and not correctly fix it. I'm definitely not a fan of melling oil pumps. Factory pumps are usually better. My buddy had this same issue and pump a high pressure pump and it masked the problem for a while but came back...his cam bearings are worn.
Basing it off of a secondary gauge, started car went up then dropped and held at about 15 psi, check oil came on, checked oil its full. I do plan on pulling the engine completely and checking all the bearings while im at it. Been wanting to do do that for a little while anyways

·
Hell pecker yeah
7,147 Posts
Did the lifters rattle? That's usually a dead give away that the oil pump decided to check out. I have a secondary gauge and sender in my GTO. It is less accurate than the stock setup.

The heads don't have to come off to swap the cam, but it sounds like you want to tear into her any way. Have fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the lifters rattle? That's usually a dead give away that the oil pump decided to check out. I have a secondary gauge and sender in my GTO. It is less accurate than the stock setup.

The heads don't have to come off to swap the cam, but it sounds like you want to tear into her any way. Have fun!
No they didnt. Im not sure how long that would have taken to happen (ran less than 30 seconds after drop)but i feel like they always make some noise. Ive wanted to give it a little more power and after i bought a DD i feel its time to freshinin it up and make it a little more fun for the days I drive it, which will be back to daily except the winter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i recommend not using a melling pump whatever you do. I've seen too many failures. Factory pump would be better. I suspect its not a pump problem.
OK so youre the 3rd to say avoid a Melling pump... I didnt find anything bad on a quick search. But maybe i need to heed this advice. Stock LS2 or LS6 then? I very much do care about long term, as this is my favorite car to drive.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Oh bull about avoiding a Melling. With any aftermarket oil pump or any aftermarket part in general, you just have to select the correct part for your application. With a high pressure or high volume oil pump you just need to know which to select because you have many options. And you need to consider how it will affect your oil pressure. Many are just ported LSx OEM pumps and rebranded. The OEM LSA pump will also just bolt on and has much better flow then our OEM pump.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
OK so youre the 3rd to say avoid a Melling pump... I didnt find anything bad on a quick search. But maybe i need to heed this advice. Stock LS2 or LS6 then? I very much do care about long term, as this is my favorite car to drive.
i was trying to find the thread I saw a couple days ago. A melling had come apart.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I want to add, if you compare a melling side by side to a factory, you will see the difference. its like comparing a chinese part to an american/german/japanese part. You can do/believe what you want, but I'll always stick with a factory part.... i know those are quality pieces. The Ls6 pump seems to be the go, a ported one....even better.

If I find that thread on the melling pump, I'll post it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Basing it off of a secondary gauge, started car went up then dropped and held at about 15 psi, check oil came on, checked oil its full. I do plan on pulling the engine completely and checking all the bearings while im at it. Been wanting to do do that for a little while anyways
What was your idle pressure before?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I want to add, if you compare a melling side by side to a factory, you will see the difference. its like comparing a chinese part to an american/german/japanese part. You can do/believe what you want, but I'll always stick with a factory part.... i know those are quality pieces. The Ls6 pump seems to be the go, a ported one....even better.

If I find that thread on the melling pump, I'll post it.
Melling serves the global transportation original equipment and aftermarket segments

·
Repeat LS3 Swapper
191 Posts
i was trying to find the thread I saw a couple days ago. A melling had come apart.
It was probably my build thread if you saw it recently. I'm also part of the anti-melling crowd because it cost me my crank and bearings last year after the pump decided to seize and grind the gear it rode on the crank - 0psi INSTANTLY in the middle of a pull. I ran a Melling on an older engine before, and while I didn't have an issue then, I always favored ported/blueprinted LS6s. After this failure I did brief research and seen some builders say they see aftermarket pumps fail more often than OEM, whatever that is worth.

But I know how the internet is, so take it with a grain of salt. I probably got a rare bum unit or something because I assure you it was not user install error. I am currently using a Tick ported/blueprinted LS6 oil pump since I have a military discount with them, before I always used SLP. Probably the same difference.

End of post 1, and also post 2 for pictures carnage: https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842191

·
Worthless reject member
36,270 Posts
Have you drained the pan? Seen anything in it that would indicate accelerated wear?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It was probably my build thread if you saw it recently. I'm also part of the anti-melling crowd because it cost me my crank and bearings last year after the pump decided to seize and grind the gear it rode on the crank - 0psi INSTANTLY in the middle of a pull. I ran a Melling on an older engine before, and while I didn't have an issue then, I always favored ported/blueprinted LS6s. After this failure I did brief research and seen some builders say they see aftermarket pumps fail more often than OEM, whatever that is worth.

But I know how the internet is, so take it with a grain of salt. I probably got a rare bum unit or something because I assure you it was not user install error. I am currently using a Tick ported/blueprinted LS6 oil pump since I have a military discount with them, before I always used SLP. Probably the same difference.

End of post 1, and also post 2 for pictures carnage: https://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842191
Yep, it was your thread. I'll say this, a factory pump goes a long time before needing to be changed. if I ever have to put a pump in any ls motor, it will be a factory ported unit. same goes for head gaskets. I used aftermarket once, and I had one give out. i now have factory ls9 gaskets and more boost and they are holding just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts