LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
53,865 Posts
Not everyone.
I was under the understanding the boosted LS motors like less valve overlap to reduce fresh charge transfer to the exhaust.
I am sure there are multiple theories, and I have not played with them as you guys have.
check out the specs on some turbo and supercharger specific cams. they run plenty of overlap.

watch some richard holdener my man.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So whos cams do you guys like?
A friend of mine is a big BTR fan but for his current race motor he is building is going Comp Cams custom grind.
I have read good and bad on BTR. So I am curious.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I personally use Cam motion custom. A custom at this time doesn't make a lot of sense for you since you don't know what direction you are going. These aren't ford motors though they are LS and the huge benefit is cheap and easy cam swaps...lol. Personally I'd put a rowdy NA cam in it and then change to a custom later if you add a blower. While all cams are boost cams there is certainly more to be gained with a custom cam.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hadagto,
Thank you for the information.
I like the idea of a rowdy cam, not over the top but enough that I have a nice lope at idle to let people know there is something in there. Also Love a motor that keeps pulling harder all the way to redline.

I had a day where I pulled into Barret Jacksons and as I pulled into the parking area. My girlfriend laughed and said did you hear what the parking attendant said. No.
She says "He has something big in there"

That is one of those things I love about this car not everyone knows what they are and that they pack a punch.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So more progress last night after work.
pulled the battery, the skid plate, and the complete exhaust system.

I thought I was going to get more done, but it took longer to get the exhaust manifolds and cats out than I anticipated.
My goal was exhaust, drive shaft, and intake manifold. Oh well I will get those tonight.
I still need to get the first O2 sensors out of the cats.
The exhaust manifolds were probably leaking as they had the 2 outside bolts on each side broken from the LS heat expansion issue for header bolts.
Hopefully the ARP bolts I ordered will not have this issue on the new motor.
Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Vehicle

21 - 40 of 64 Posts