LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time out with this car. Previous car was a GrandPrix so I have room to improve on the shifting.

Best ET 13.886 @ 101.85mph
Best 60' 2.153
Highest Trap speed 102.04mph.

The car is bone stock, all I did was remove the spare tire. and had very low fuel. 3720 lb was the wieght with me in it.

I attached another run at 13.899 because the 13.886 run print out was too faint to read once it was scanned.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
thats a very good time, especially for a new M6 driver. give yourself a pat on the back

·
Registered
24 Posts
Launching at 2200 RPM and shifting at 5800 RPM we got a best ET of 13.54 at 106 MPH. Bone stock with nothing removed from the car. Timing was done using a highly accurate near military grade global positioning system.

·
Former Goatherder
658 Posts
Hmm... highly accurate and military grade... not sure those belong in the same sentence :)

By the way, nice times. I've heard a local strip is reopening here, I'd love to give mine a run once. We are at like 2400 feet so it won't be quite as fast, but would be just a fun thing with me. I'm sure I can't shift near as well as some of these guys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Big Injun Dave said:
Launching at 2200 RPM and shifting at 5800 RPM we got a best ET of 13.54 at 106 MPH. Bone stock with nothing removed from the car. Timing was done using a highly accurate near military grade global positioning system.
Um, are you suggesting this wasn't timed at a track? If not, then throw that trap speed out the window. Actual 1/4 mile trap speed would be slower, since on the dragstrip, your trap speed is not the same as your instantaneous speed as you cross the line. There is actually no direct measurement of speed, you just cross two lines (one just before the finish and one just after) and speed is calculated by D=R*T, or, R=D/T. Your time is basically what a G-Tech would report. Not inaccurate, per se, just not directly comparable to a 1/4 mile time slip. FWIW.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I love seeing an official time slip. Good run! What were you racing against, a Ford Fiesta? You totally smoked him. I can't wait to get back to the track, but it's been raining here for about 12 hours now. :(

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
kevm14 said:
Um, are you suggesting this wasn't timed at a track? If not, then throw that trap speed out the window. Actual 1/4 mile trap speed would be slower, since on the dragstrip, your trap speed is not the same as your instantaneous speed as you cross the line. There is actually no direct measurement of speed, you just cross two lines (one just before the finish and one just after) and speed is calculated by D=R*T, or, R=D/T. Your time is basically what a G-Tech would report. Not inaccurate, per se, just not directly comparable to a 1/4 mile time slip. FWIW.
GPS derived speed uses a similar technique of taking coordinates at predetermined intervals and computing the speed. It's not a true instantaneous reading. I don't suspect it would be too far off the method used at the strip.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Good time with a trap speed that seems to need to break in a bit.

Guy in the other lane got biotch :slap: pretty bad.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adam4356 said:
Good time with a trap speed that seems to need to break in a bit.

Guy in the other lane got biotch :slap: pretty bad.
Only 4000 miles on car. Other car can't remember for sure, think it was a little RSX or something like that.

The only car I lined up with on purpose was a Stock GrandPrix GTP, driven by a friend, side by side till hit got into 3rd gear, then I pulled away.

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
i havent been to the track but we measured a 1/4 out in the middle of nowhere, and i raced a 04 cobra he only had me by a car length, and a 01 6 speed ss and beat him 2 out of 3 times, ive beat alot and wondering if the 1/4 times are only high 13's why am i beatin cars that claim low 13's

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Driver, Driver, Driver

2loco said:
i havent been to the track but we measured a 1/4 out in the middle of nowhere, and i raced a 04 cobra he only had me by a car length, and a 01 6 speed ss and beat him 2 out of 3 times, ive beat alot and wondering if the 1/4 times are only high 13's why am i beatin cars that claim low 13's
We all forget about how important the driver is.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I couldn't agree with Yellow Jacket M6 more. One of the best mods for any car is a skilled driver!!!

Drive hard and keep the rubber side down . . .

·
04 Impulse blue/blue M6 GOAT
368 Posts
True but they have time slips from the track tho that say 13.26, 13.38 we went 3 times i won 2 out of 3 time i lost cuz i missed 2nd and felt like an a$$.

·
10 sec club
471 Posts
2loco said:
True but they have time slips from the track tho that say 13.26, 13.38 we went 3 times i won 2 out of 3 time i lost cuz i missed 2nd and felt like an a$$.
Your average street isn't nearly as well-prepped as even a poorly maintained 1/4-mile track is, so there's a huge difference right there... ;)

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
mistermike said:
GPS derived speed uses a similar technique of taking coordinates at predetermined intervals and computing the speed. It's not a true instantaneous reading. I don't suspect it would be too far off the method used at the strip.
I would be remiss in my role as pain-in-the-ass physics guy if I failed to mention here that there is really no such creature as an instantaneous reading. Just as mistermike is suggesting, though - if the "predetermined intervals" for the GPS happened to correspond with the time it took to travel from one beam to the other in the trap, the two methods would yield the same results to within the precision of the instruments involved. FWIW...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts