LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get opinions on my plan for what I hope will make my GTO go 12s for midwest drag week next year.
Planning on the following.
-Iron 5.7 with ls1 hot cam made 375rwhp with an LS6 intake on my camaro it ran 12.5s with a 3200 stall 4l60e
-3600 stall
-3.91 gears
-maybe a bigger cam need opinions.

I already have the following.
-Drag radials
-Drag bags
-Peddlers shocks and springs
- 1pc drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
So you plan to go with a bored 5.3 iron? Does the car not have a motor now? Adding 90lbs if the crank is stock isnt gonna help you go faster.
I'd never put a hot cam in anything. Waste of money. Can get a custom one or larger off the shelf. Comp 228r or btr stage 3/4 normal cookie cutter stuff works well enough.
I'd do a shift kit in not done already. Then what ever the budget has left over, Better heads or aftermarket. Good cai and a manifold. Strip the extra weight.

·
Worthless reject member
83,690 Posts
are you on a budget? what times are you running now?

+1 on a 228 or similarly sized cam for the LS1.

h/c/i a stall, 275 26" tall radials and springs/adj shocks will get you there.

you might even make it with bolt ons and a chunk of weight redux if you play your cards right.

Reactions: bo06gto

·
Registered
929 Posts
A friend of mine who is a member here was really close to 11's with full bolt ons in an '04. He had FULL bolt ons, but no cam, or heads, and sbe. Drag radials with skinnies up front also.

...He ran 12.20

·
Worthless reject member
83,690 Posts
A friend of mine who is a member here was really close to 11's with full bolt ons in an '04. He had FULL bolt ons, but no cam, or heads, and sbe. Drag radials with skinnies up front also.

...He ran 12.20
@Element did 11's on bolt ons with an ls1, iirc, years ago. lives around here still, i think, but i haven't talked to him in a looooong time.

·
Worthless reject member
83,690 Posts
it's another thing to have a xx second car that runs consistently in a wide range of DA and track conditions, though, than setting a record.... but that being said, a consistant 12.50 should be easily obtainable.

·
Registered
929 Posts
@Element did 11's on bolt ons with an ls1, iirc, years ago. lives around here still, i think, but i haven't talked to him in a looooong time.

I'm aware that my friend's bolt on car isn't record setting. What I can say is that he didn't have special air or DA to accomplish it and that it literally runs 12.2x over and over and over. During racing season when the tracks are open we typically see 2000-3000 DA so definitely not bad air we just don't get that miracle negative DA stuff some areas of the country get to run in.

I'm also not sure how much weight reduction some of these "record" holding cars have done to them. I know my friend has some weight reduction, but certainly not gutted and has full interior.

·
Worthless reject member
83,690 Posts
I'm aware that my friend's bolt on car isn't record setting.
wasn't trying to start an argument. was just putting it out there as to what was possible with an ls1 gto and considering that a consistant 12.5x goal should be easy.

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
In my limited experience the biggest challenge of getting these cars into the 12s is traction. A set of decent drag radials can pay huge dividends. Back in the day there were owners getting bone stock cars on street tires into the 12s. I have no idea how they did it though.

·
Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,583 Posts
In my limited experience the biggest challenge of getting these cars into the 12s is traction. A set of decent drag radials can pay huge dividends. Back in the day there were owners getting bone stock cars on street tires into the 12s. I have no idea how they did it though.
I ran a 13.23 @ almost 109 with nothing more than full exhaust, intake and tuning. Some Pedders drag springs, CG shocks and a shifter rounded it out, all on street tires with zero weight reduction. If I were to improve my driving skills, I’m pretty sure I can crack into the 12s because the MPH is there. I guess to answer your question, good driving skills and good track conditions. My car isn’t stock and definitely doesn’t have much done to it. My runs were at the infamous Atco NJ drag strip.

·
GR-RRR!
13,957 Posts
I ran a 13.23 @ almost 109 with nothing more than full exhaust, intake and tuning. Some Pedders drag springs, CG shocks and a shifter rounded it out, all on street tires with zero weight reduction. If I were to improve my driving skills, I’m pretty sure I can crack into the 12s because the MPH is there. I guess to answer your question, good driving skills and good track conditions. My car isn’t stock and definitely doesn’t have much done to it. My runs were at the infamous Atco NJ drag strip.
I did a 13.35 at 108.62 in the 06 when it just had exhaust (shorty headers BTW) and a Predator tune. Had a heck of a time getting a good launch, but a lot of that was on me.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hard to launch these cars with the pizza cutter tires for sure. 235's are a joke on these cars!
Tires have come a long way. With quality drag radials like the MT ET street R I bet you couldn’t spin at the track with 12 second power even if you tried to on purpose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts