LS1GTO Forums banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Under device driver, does is display a little ? indicating no drivers are installed?

Take a screen shot of your device manager and post it up to see whats going on.

All you need to do is download the drivers from here:http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20830_Setup.exe

Make sure your cable is unplugged first. Install the drivers, then plug cable back in..
Will do that this evening and get back to you. I was trying it with the cable plugged in and the cable not plugged in. It wasn't working either way, but I might have installed the wrong drivers. Under the device it has that yellow exclamation point and when you open up the properties it has no drivers installed and asks you to install the drivers. When I do that, I select browse manually and click on the location of the drivers. Again, that's where it stops and won't update anything.

I'll look at it again tonight and use that link you posted. Appreciate it man!!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Finally got the drivers installed and working. Getting the no heartbeat error now, so it looks like the USB cable is the wrong one from what I've read. That was a waste lol

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Finally got the drivers installed and working. Getting the no heartbeat error now, so it looks like the USB cable is the wrong one from what I've read. That was a waste lol
Which one did you go with?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Ahh, thats the wrong one, the cable your after is about $7-9.
I dont think the "PC-PL2303HX Chip" works very well.. if at all.

At least its only a couple bucks. Spend a few more and youll have a perfectly working device.
Do you have a link?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you have a link?
Oh my bad, I thought I pasted it at the bottom.
This will work: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6pin-FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-adapter-module-USB2-0-TO-TTL-RS232-Arduino-Cable-/261288360608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd5fffaa0&_uhb=1

Im not sure on the length on that one, they are either 1m or 1.8m.
Things to look out for, you want its TTL levels at 5V (not 3.3)
And always check there rep for the same device purchase for bad comments, ca be a clear indication if its dodgey equipment of not.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Oh my bad, I thought I pasted it at the bottom.
This will work: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6pin-FTDI-FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-adapter-module-USB2-0-TO-TTL-RS232-Arduino-Cable-/261288360608?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd5fffaa0&_uhb=1

Im not sure on the length on that one, they are either 1m or 1.8m.
Things to look out for, you want its TTL levels at 5V (not 3.3)
And always check there rep for the same device purchase for bad comments, ca be a clear indication if its dodgey equipment of not.
Awesome!! Thanks brotha! Will be ordering tonight

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Ahh, thats the wrong one, the cable your after is about $7-9.
I dont think the "PC-PL2303HX Chip" works very well.. if at all.

At least its only a couple bucks. Spend a few more and youll have a perfectly working device.
Yeah based on the description on the listing it should work, but someone else used a similar cable that uses that pl2303 chip and no dice. It's really misleading actually.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It might be because the PL2303 supplied drivers don't support 8192 baud, without some special hackery.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Oh, and as long as you have an internet connection when you plug the cable in, you shouldn't have to do any manual installation of driver software 95% of the time...Windows should download and install the correct driver automatically. I think the pl2303 chip falls in that other 5% which is pretty much what you were experiencing earlier.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
It might be because the PL2303 supplied drivers don't support 8192 baud, without some special hackery.
Probably that, and the fact that it outputs RS-232, not TTL. It can interpret low-voltage TTL which is why I think they get away with marketing it as "Built-in TTL COM PC-PL2303HX Chip." False advertising if you ask me.

·
Title goes here
85 Posts
My replacement USB cable came in the mail yesterday. I got it soldered to the OBDII end, plugged it in, and programmed my cluster with 1337vending's software. Worked great! If anyone around Indy wants to borrow my cable and save some time/cash, let me know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
my cable and plug came in today, I soldered it and plugged it into my surface pro 2 and it set to com6, fired up the software plugged into car and hit listen and magic :) have not programmed the cluster yet but it was seeing the data, even more when hit ignition on.. so I guess I did something right..

thanks for the heads up on the cheaper cable solution!

·
Southern Kansas Muscle
551 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Nope

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
it could work for old ALDL OBD1 applications like 94 LT1's with the correct software.

·
Registered
415 Posts
it could work for old ALDL OBD1 applications like 94 LT1's with the correct software.
so aside from the gto's this doesn't work for any newer cars? Would it be possible to switch the solder points to make this work on newer cars?

81 - 100 of 140 Posts