LS1GTO.com Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,051 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
I know its been a few years since the last post in this thread, but I just made my cable tonight and I'm going to try it out this weekend.

I ordered the parts expecting to wait weeks for delivery, but I found a seller for the aldl connector in Cali and it arrived in just 3 days(I'm in NJ). Then I bought the usb cable from the same ebay seller as in the first post. Expected delivery was 8-10 weeks but it only took 10 days from date of order until I got it from China.

Thank you Shane. for this tutorial.
Good effort! But why not just buy the ready-made cable? It is more costly but a whole lot less work and no chance of crosswiring anything. Not being critical, just asking a question.

Can this program modify milage on the cluster for a car that has had a motor swap
As already stated, no. And that's a very good thing. Regardless of the freshness of the engine, the chassis still has miles on it. And if you swap in a different cluster with different miles on it a flag is set in the system which identifies the mismatch and still tracks the original mileage and alarms will be raised if the car is ever scanned via the OBDII. You do know that turning the miles back is a felony, right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I chose this option because I had the time to wait for the parts and to assemble it myself, secondly, I'm an electrician and also hold an engineering degree so I sure hope I could solder 3 wires together, and lastly, We just had our second child so $50 saved is always useful.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I just bought this too. I don’t have any interest in programming my cluster since Bohnman already has, but who the hell can resist something cool for the GTO for 12 bucks.

·
GR-RRR!
4,724 Posts
I chose this option because I had the time to wait for the parts and to assemble it myself, secondly, I'm an electrician and also hold an engineering degree so I sure hope I could solder 3 wires together, and lastly, We just had our second child so $50 saved is always useful.
I guess you are moderately qualified to make your own. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Finally got the time to do the cluster tonight. Plugged in the cable, downloaded the drivers and went out to my car. Changed startup logo to Holden, drls to off, dimmed mph and re-calibrated speedo(2004). Total cost for the cable was $11.51.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do you know if fixing the speedo calibration in this way would affect the other calculations in the cluster (ie...avg mpg) ?

Since I put 245's on the rear, I've always been curious of the tire size change has made the mpg calculation be off just a little (since my speedo is) and whether this calibration correction that you've done above would fix them both.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I got the connectors from NA too and the cable arrived from China in less than 2 weeks.

·
'05 PBM M6/K3 GSX-R1000
248 Posts
So.... I'm way timely with the resurrection I know, but since my '05 threw the airbag fault a few days ago, does anyone know if this cable will work for this thread's topic?

Responses much appreciated. ;)

--Setherial

·
Registered
577 Posts
So.... I'm way timely with the resurrection I know, but since my '05 threw the airbag fault a few days ago, does anyone know if this cable will work for this thread's topic?

Responses much appreciated. ;)

--Setherial
It did for me. But also have used a tech2 to do it. Depends on the reason why it’s on. I removed the seat with the power still connected and this worked perfectly.

·
'05 PBM M6/K3 GSX-R1000
248 Posts
It did for me. But also have used a tech2 to do it. Depends on the reason why it’s on. I removed the seat with the power still connected and this worked perfectly.

I think mine has something to do with the temperamental electrical system on these cars. The car was parked outside in about 25 degree weather for a few days due to a leak in my garage and the car hadn't seen temps that low in probably a decade. I'm also having a running issue with the "smart alternator" immobilizer function due to the FOB being ancient and it shut off on me(due to the little metal shaft in the FOB not touching the ignition all the way) trying to start it on the way back home from work on the second day after it had been parked outside and on re-starting it, the battery kind of struggled and the cluster flickered to light up and when it finally kicked on and the ignition started, the airbag fault came up.

I'll try purchasing that $12 cable and using the VZ software as I've no access to Tech II, am terrible at handy-work so would surely destroy everything attempting to solder things and will be damned if I'll have a dealership try and sell me blinker fluid.

Thanks for the reply Mick.

--Setherial

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
If that cable works then you can check for current faults with the vz software before clearing them to make sure it's not an ongoing problem

·
'05 PBM M6/K3 GSX-R1000
248 Posts
If that cable works then you can check for current faults with the vz software before clearing them to make sure it's not an ongoing problem

Welp... multiple tries with several different configurations and drivers installed/removed, I can't get the VZ software("latest" beta 0.30) to see the heartbeat. The FT232RL cable plugs into the OBD port and lights up and I can open the port successfully in VZClustermod but that's about it. Tried multiple com ports, multiple latency settings, multiple baud rates, bare driver, full driver from the FTDI website, full driver installed via Windows Update, different USB ports and nada. I'm not sure if it's the laptop I'm using(older Sony Vaio machine-circa 2010, using Windows 7 32-bit) or the cable or a combination but my frustration level is pretty high. :(

Anyone have any suggestions aside from trying to purchase another cable via teh interwebz as I was trying to keep the overall cost of this whole project down....?

Thanks in advance.

--Setherial

·
'05 PBM M6/K3 GSX-R1000
248 Posts
Welp... multiple tries with several different configurations and drivers installed/removed, I can't get the VZ software("latest" beta 0.30) to see the heartbeat. The FT232RL cable plugs into the OBD port and lights up and I can open the port successfully in VZClustermod but that's about it. Tried multiple com ports, multiple latency settings, multiple baud rates, bare driver, full driver from the FTDI website, full driver installed via Windows Update, different USB ports and nada. I'm not sure if it's the laptop I'm using(older Sony Vaio machine-circa 2010, using Windows 7 32-bit) or the cable or a combination but my frustration level is pretty high. :(

Anyone have any suggestions aside from trying to purchase another cable via teh interwebz as I was trying to keep the overall cost of this whole project down....?

Thanks in advance.

As a supplemental, I also tried using bench and incar modes via VZClustermod after reading some other threads on here with the same lack of results.

I also don't have another portable machine/laptop to take to the car to verify that it's the cable that is faulty... :(

--Setherial

121 - 138 of 138 Posts