LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea ive got round 1200 to spend on my 04 m6 the only mods i have are a cai and im looking for better 1/4 mile times..... i cant do gears cuse the shop in my area doest do them any more.....a tune i know but what else.....thanks for all your help!!

scott

·
Sold August 10 2007
2,593 Posts
910gto said:
yea ive got round 1200 to spend on my 04 m6 the only mods i have are a cai and im looking for better 1/4 mile times..... i cant do gears cuse the shop in my area doest do them any more.....a tune i know but what else.....thanks for all your help!!

scott
Put in a cam and tune.

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
$1200 for parts and install or just parts? Cause Id say..headers, cam and tune...in that order. Or, get headers, underdrive and tune. IMO, you waste money when you do a cam without a good exhaust,,,especially an '04.

·
Registered
212 Posts
headers will give you enuf flow you dont need a cat back that bad i would do cam,headers,un pully, then wait like a month and get it tuned and install at the same time

·
scot254
4,521 Posts
Not much you can really do with $1200 and do it right. A cam needs headers, headers w/ cats around $1200. Headers alone won't greatly improve 1/4 times compared to other mods.

According to your post you want to better you 1/4 times. A shifter, drag bags and drag radials, should be under $1200.
Or you can go for trap speeds with Nitrous.

·
The Situation
3,358 Posts
$1200 could get a nice cam setup with all of the needed valvetrain upgrades and a dyno tune if you did the install yourself. I think most cam installs with parts are around $1500 or more if you have a shop do it.

·
9 Second Club
14,897 Posts
Harpo said:
Buy a big sack of blow, find a couple of hookers, then have a big naked snort fest in your GTO. Otherwise, a cam and tune. Either way, have fun.
Finally, someone that gets it!!!! Otherwise the absolute first step is LT headers and a tune. Might push it a little though. BTW, check out the HPE Cam Special, that's a killer deal.

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
Harpo said:
Buy a big sack of blow, find a couple of hookers, then have a big naked snort fest in your GTO. Otherwise, a cam and tune. Either way, have fun.
When I bought my 1968 RoadRunner I found a framed mirror under the seat that said something to the effect of powdering your nose...

On topic, you could pick up a used cam, Patriot Gold spring kit, pushrods, and headers for around $1200 with the deals I've seen around here.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
+1 on headers and then tune. that will set the stage for everything later on. i got 3/10ths better with that and it will scream whenever Ed gets me the cam :stickpoke :D

·
Kahuna Bill
726 Posts
scot254 said:
Not much you can really do with $1200 and do it right. A cam needs headers, headers w/ cats around $1200. Headers alone won't greatly improve 1/4 times compared to other mods.

According to your post you want to better you 1/4 times. A shifter, drag bags and drag radials, should be under $1200.
Or you can go for trap speeds with Nitrous.
$1200 for headers w/cats??? I was going to hold my tongue....but I cant. :gr_jest: A couple months ago I was trying to get a group purchase on SW Lt's....Only neede 3 people to get LT's with offroad pipes for $800...6 people would have made it $740. With cats would have been $900. And no one took me up on it. "Oh, I can find a better deal"...blah, blah. Sorry, couldnt help myself. :drink:
On to business.....I agree, air bags, shifter and DR's. Huh, why didnt I think of that? :)

·
scot254
4,521 Posts
Redrum said:
$1200 for headers w/cats??? I was going to hold my tongue....but I cant. :gr_jest: A couple months ago I was trying to get a group purchase on SW Lt's....Only neede 3 people to get LT's with offroad pipes for $800...6 people would have made it $740. With cats would have been $900. And no one took me up on it. "Oh, I can find a better deal"...blah, blah. Sorry, couldnt help myself. :drink:
On to business.....I agree, air bags, shifter and DR's. Huh, why didnt I think of that? :)

I guess the going rate has come down since I purchased mine LONG ago, GP for $1099, oh well.

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,841 Posts
I am a firm believer of making sure the car can harness the power you are about to give it.

So, I'd say a one piece driveshaft and a shifter. That ought to leave you some money for a tune to remove the torque management, skip shift, and to wake the engine up a little bit.

Or you can buy a cat-back exhaust and a shifter.

Or you can do drag radials, a new shifter, and the BMR drag bags.

The third option is really the only thing to help improve your 1/4 mile time off the bat. The other two options will help improve the 1/4 mile time in the long run.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.