LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that the 12v outlet in the center console cuts off when the car is turned off. That pretty much puts a stop to the practice of charging the cell phone while I'm inside at work. Well, unless I get in there and rewire it to be always on.

Does anyone know if the smoker's package has an always on 12v outlet?

Diggs

·
Registered
45 Posts
:confused:

04bluegto said:
im going to get a outlet put under the dash to plug in my radar i want it to turn on and off with the car its easier then pushing in and pulling out everytime geez that sounds kinda bad :)
:confused: :confused: :confused:
You'd rather buy something electrical so you don't have top push and pull???
That does sound bad
:mullet:

·
Registered
45 Posts
DevilYellow said:
The owners manual says to not use the ash tray ligher for accessories. Not sure how well it is wired up.
This is exactly why Steer By Wire will never get released. The engineers are still unsure of their abilities to wire up a cig. lighter. Jeeez. Why not wire it for 30A and be done with it???
:mad:

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smoker's package

DevilYellow said:
The owners manual says to not use the ash tray ligher for accessories. Not sure how well it is wired up.
I may go ahead and get it and if it does not connect to an always on source, I'll rewire it myself and make it work the way I want.

Does anyone have a picture of the front and rear smoker's packages? The bare packages before they are installed and another after installing would be really good.

Diggs

·
Registered
45 Posts
Diggs said:
I may go ahead and get it and if it does not connect to an always on source, I'll rewire it myself and make it work the way I want.

Does anyone have a picture of the front and rear smoker's packages? The bare packages before they are installed and another after installing would be really good.

Diggs
You really gonna let all those people smoke in your new car???

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent...

Orange69Goat said:
You really gonna let all those people smoke in your new car???
No, but I want the 12v outlet and an integrated (factory) solution is better than an aftermarket add-on, IMHO.

Diggs

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Anyone know if there are already harness connections in the dash and console for the smokers packages?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Diggs said:
No, but I want the 12v outlet and an integrated (factory) solution is better than an aftermarket add-on, IMHO.

Diggs
No offense intended. I am curious however. I'm from the generation that only had access to a spot lite to plug into a cig. outlet. How many outlets do you need and what are they all for?

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mistermike said:
Anyone know if there are already harness connections in the dash and console for the smokers packages?
Yeah, what he said...

Diggs

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Orange69Goat said:
No offense intended. I am curious however. I'm from the generation that only had access to a spot lite to plug into a cig. outlet. How many outlets do you need and what are they all for?
None taken.

I want one outlet for cell phone recharging and I want it to be always on. 04bluegto mentioned using one that cuts off when the ignition cuts off for a raday detector, but I don't use a detector, so that would not apply to me. I do smoke, but have resisted smoking in the new car so far. I wouldn't mind having access to another outlet for the occasional laptop use.

Diggs

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'm not sure why they warned against accesories plugged into the lighter socket, unless they were considering that the corrosion and extra resistance from all the ash residue would affect low current draw devices. However, plugging lighters into accessory outlets is a bad idea, since they may not be built for the heat and current of a lighter.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I would like one extra 12v outlet for my phone. The one in the center console is for my XM wireless plug. Also if I get the smokers package I put extra tollway change in it.

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Geeez-O-Pete...

I checked at my dealer yesterday and the front package is $130 and the rear is $147.

That is for the housing, socket, element and the ashtray. They have no pictures yet (the parts dude is working on getting that for me), no installation instructions and they do not know if the car is prewired for the package.

I'm not buying, sight unseen, since the parts must be prepaid and there is no returns on special orders.

Come on folks. Someone has installed these, haven't they? Post up some pictures and some info.

Diggs

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Diggs said:
I checked at my dealer yesterday and the front package is $130 and the rear is $147.

That is for the housing, socket, element and the ashtray. They have no pictures yet (the parts dude is working on getting that for me), no installation instructions and they do not know if the car is prewired for the package.

I'm not buying, sight unseen, since the parts must be prepaid and there is no returns on special orders.

Come on folks. Someone has installed these, haven't they? Post up some pictures and some info.

Diggs
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/accessories/frameset3.cfm

92110976 Ashtray package rear (front floor console mounting at rear) $70.00

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&AddPartNumber=92110976 &partnumber=92110976

92110979 Ashtray package front (instument panel mounting) $62.30

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&AddPartNumber=92110979 &partnumber=92110979

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
speed_demon_fre said:
Thanks for the link to getting them cheaper. I still haven't talked myself into buying them, sight unseen, but for the ~$135 price I may change my mind. Maybe I'll be the one that posts some pictures.

My dealer's parts dude said he would see what he could get when their salesman comes around again. Maybe he will have a picture or two for me soon.

Diggs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts