LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
unbannable in lounge
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I visit one of the top body shops in my area and I let the "estimator" know that I was looking to re-paint my hood (rock chips), front bumber (same), a few scratches on my rear bumper, and have my rear fascia painted flat black. After a good solid 20 minutes of figuring out how to screw me he shows me an estimate of 1300 bucks. Needless to say I walked out laughing. Am i wrong for thinking this is real high?? Help. Anyone in the South Jersey area with some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By the way. 06 PBM

·
Professional detailer
351 Posts
Wow I need hood, front bumper, mirrors, and fenders, Damn i am in for it.

·
unbannable in lounge
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smurf.

·
*Factually* Retarded
21,705 Posts
sounds abt right

and you get what you pay for..

You dont get it done often.. so for a good job, especially paint job. Dont get upset over $100 or so. 1300 for all the work sounds okay.

·
GTOless
7,131 Posts
So I visit one of the top body shops in my area and I let the "estimator" know that I was looking to re-paint my hood (rock chips), front bumber (same), a few scratches on my rear bumper, and have my rear fascia painted flat black. After a good solid 20 minutes of figuring out how to screw me he shows me an estimate of 1300 bucks. Needless to say I walked out laughing. Am i wrong for thinking this is real high?? Help. Anyone in the South Jersey area with some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By the way. 06 PBM
When I used to work at the body shop they would normally get between 300-400 to fix a panel and repaint it. So considering you want the hood and bumpers done its about 900-1200 plus the insert. So they are about on the money.

·
Registered
226 Posts
yeah without a "relationship" with a shop it gets pretty bad.
Figure materials for a hood, two bumpers is ~$500 (for prime supplies) this includes paint booth etc. rest is labor.

·
unbannable in lounge
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
double smurf.

·
unbannable in lounge
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe take the 600-800 i was hoping to spend cash and get some GO FAST and worry bout the paint in the spring?

·
Banned
762 Posts
I very reputable shop in my area was going to charge 300 for the hood, 200 for my bumper and another 300 to blend rock chips all over the car. $800 total

·
unbannable in lounge
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Illinois here I come!

·
Got BOOST?
1,377 Posts
i work with a guy who's been painting cars since he was my age...(20) and he said if i bought the materials he'd paint it for free if i put insulation in his shops attic for him. I need the front bumper redone (rock chips), the rear bumper (nice scrape back there), my trunk lid (idk wtf happened there), and my skirts done (guy before me loved to drag his smurfing feet!) and he said he could buy the materials for $800... my cars PBM. So after labor depending on what he charges and hour i'd say that estimate isnt much higher than it should be. IMO.

·
unbannable in lounge
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so basically what you're all saying is I'm a cheap bastard? Damn auto body shops are recession-proof... One final smurf. what to do

·
O-H-I-O
746 Posts
Understand that you have your doubts about paint price...

However, as has been pointed out...you get what you pay for. Remember, a good body shop will uninstall the parts to be painted, then paint as prescribed.

I would also recommend to anyone that after you've gotten your car painted and the paint has a chance to cure (90-120 days), get 3M Paint protection installed on your car. Your car is an investment...your investment! Invest in good materials and having a good Pro work on it and you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
so basically what you're all saying is I'm a cheap bastard? Damn auto body shops are recession-proof... One final smurf. what to do
Well there's always. :D

·
Just an ole hillbilly!
998 Posts
I paid 500$ for just the rear bumper! So I would with all the stuff you have going on that is a pretty good price if there one of the best!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts