LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally received my Intro wheels from Arrowhead Performance, only took 16weeks!! Anybody else with the same problems from ArrowHead? The problem with the wheels are that they fill up with water while driving in the rain. The car will shake so bad from them being out of balance that you have to stop and get the water out of them!!! Intro wheels has never heard of this problem! Am I the only one not afraid to drive in the rain???

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I remember seeing this issue by another person on this board. Do a search.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Are you sure it's only when It rains?
Mine shake from 50-70 MPH when it's dry. I've had them balanced 5 times and the front tires replaced. I'm having Intro make me one new front becuase I believe one of them is not round. (Have to pay for it of course).

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Absolutely positively. Both Florit and I have the same problem. Water gets trapped in the outer rim and throws off the balance. I get a mild shimmy at 60 when dry. Nothing too bad.

·
Registered
267 Posts
paul mckee said:
I finally received my Intro wheels from Arrowhead Performance, only took 16weeks!! Anybody else with the same problems from ArrowHead? The problem with the wheels are that they fill up with water while driving in the rain. The car will shake so bad from them being out of balance that you have to stop and get the water out of them!!! Intro wheels has never heard of this problem! Am I the only one not afraid to drive in the rain???
Yes AH is pretty slow on the customer service side of things. But to be fair those 16 weeks you waited could have been for the wheels to be made.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Has anyone other than Paul complained to Intro about this? Sounds like a fairly serious issue. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are the GT Sport Wheels. Intro wheels said they had never heard of the problem before. You can't believe how much water is in there. The bolts that make it look look a two piece wheel I removed in CO. Springs at my buddys house. I was hoping the water would go out those holes!! I was half right, when it starts shaking bad from being full of water, you just pull over to side of the road and wait till the water drains out. Really high tech considering it's about a $500 wheel!!!!!!!!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt it's ever seen rain. I saw it 5 days before the Woodward Cruise in pieces! Did he make it? I called him to ask how it went. He never called me back!

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
BillyGoatGruff said:
I agree, I don't believe these wheels will ever see water in AZ. Unless he is driving through a monsoon while on the track!
It's a dry heat. :rolleyes:

·
2,137 Posts
Well I take this means no one else has complained to Intro. You guys spent a ton of money on them, you should call them.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Huntress said:
Well I take this means no one else has complained to Intro. You guys spent a ton of money on them, you should call them.

yeah, no joke. looks like Intros are OFF my list forever. now im really glad i didn't jump on some of the "deals" that have posted over the past few months.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Intro Wheels Water Balance Problem

GTOdriver7 said:
yeah, no joke. looks like Intros are OFF my list forever. now im really glad i didn't jump on some of the "deals" that have posted over the past few months.
For the edification of potential future Intro wheel owners, can someone take a pic of the wheel, where the water collects?

Never heard of this problem in 40 years of driving dozens of cars,
What make this wheel unique in having this problem?

Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scroll up to Mister Mike's picture of the wheels on Howie's car. Look to the inside of the wheel. You'll see a raised section. That is about the center of the wheel. I believe that it's only function is to hold the valve stem to inflate the tire. The water fills between there and the outside of the rim and it's about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep. I promise you that it is FULL of water when driving in the rain. When I stopped, the water was still spinning in that trough. You think that the tire bounces when it's out of balance by an ounce or two. Just think how much that water weighs!!!!!!!!!

·
2,137 Posts
Not completely following your description... can it be sealed shut?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Huntress said:
Not completely following your description... can it be sealed shut?
As I read it what he said is that there's a groove on the inside of the wheel behind the spokes that runs all the way around that is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch deep. Most rims I believe are smooth and are tapered so this sort of thing doesn't happen (such as our OE rims).

·
2,137 Posts
So it is out of plain sight, correct? If so, can it be filled with something?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Huntress said:
So it is out of plain sight, correct? If so, can it be filled with something?
That's what I was thinking. A layer of that dense, closed cell foam, used frequently used to package electronics, formed into a hoop, and painted black.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts