LS1GTO Forums banner

18" with 35 offset?

7K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  zech912 
#1 ·
ok i bought a set of stock offset (35) drifz 505's ( gunmetel grey crome lip). Everything about the size is stock except for the fact that i went 18''. When i put them on the stuck out a litle more than stock, by about 5mm. what is with the nonstandard offset measurements?

#2 ·
hot_mic_64d said:
ok i bought a set of stock offset (35) drifz 505's ( gunmetel grey crome lip). Everything about the size is stock except for the fact that i went 18''. When i put them on the stuck out a litle more than stock, by about 5mm. what is with the nonstandard offset measurements?
Not sure what you mean by "stock offset" while referring to an aftermarket rim, but anyway... You didn't specify the width. If they're 8's, the rim will stick out a 1/2" beyond the stock set, and if they're 8.5's a bit more beyond that.

btw... if you are unaware, the stock offsets are +48 front & rear.

#4 ·
35mm in the rear can be an issue with specific tires. I have 38mm offsets and with the Falkens I had no rub but the BFGs I had rub until I disposed of my fender lips!

#5 ·
iam sorry guys i had an asshole attack. The rims i ordered where Drifz 505 gunmetel grey +35 offset on a 8 1/2 rim. tire size is 245/ 40 / 18. i think iam going to have to rent the fender roller!!!!!!!!!! crap!

#6 · (Edited)
and i thought stock ofset was +35. thats what it says on my 17" i thought???

#7 ·
when i ordered the tires the guy i was ordering from said they would fit? i hope they do

#8 ·
hot_mic_64d said:
and i thought stock ofset was +35. thats what it says on my 17" i thought???
Uhh, no! They're +48... and that's gotta be plastered all over this site, lol... Methinks somebody didn't do his homework!!! :eek:

Your fronts will fit.... though they'll stick out a bit. I think it's a tad mullet but many here don't seem to mind.

And you're correct, you'll be needing to roll those rear lips. Good luck!

#10 ·
Hey havoc, you seem to know alot about this, and i know absolutly nothing. if i roll the rear lips do you believe they will fit and even then, i already bought eibach's with .8" rear drop, and 1" front drop. do you think they will fit then. i could of sworn that the offset was +35, damn it i'm an idiot.:confused: :stickpoke

#11 · (Edited)
hot_mic_64d said:
Hey havoc, you seem to know alot about this, and i know absolutly nothing. if i roll the rear lips do you believe they will fit and even then, i already bought eibach's with .8" rear drop, and 1" front drop. do you think they will fit then. i could of sworn that the offset was +35, damn it i'm an idiot.:confused: :stickpoke
Yikes! I was hoping you didn't mention lowering. :eek: No worries though, it'll just require a little more diligence on your part to pull this off.

Here's the deal... You probably already figured this out but being lowered your rear lips will require more rolling then would otherwise have been necessary with that offset. The brand of tire you choose will play an important factor as well... Size obviously, but also the shoulder (square vs a more rounded design).

On the bright side, as evidenced by the previous poster this has been done before. Have a look at Real Deal's car... His is lowered (with Eibachs), he runs a 18x9.5 with +45 offset. Though different widths and offsets, an 18x8.5's @ +35 will produce similar tire to fender clearances, with yours allowing a whisker more lip clearance (approx.3 mm)

Granted, if you check all the pictures you'll notice he performed extensive surgery to the fender lips but acknowledges it wasn't entirely necessary for this fitment.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1355873&postcount=1

#12 ·
hey Havoc. Thanks for the help. From now on i guess ill do more extensive homework before ordering parts, lol.

#13 ·
Hey Havoc. i was just talking to a body shop guy at backus pontiac in savannah GA. He said if i brought my car in the would roll the fenders for me but the way they do it is kind of caveman. He said they would use a wooden baseball bat. Have you ever heard of such a thing??? its scaring me!

#14 ·

pic of my car with the new rims on

#15 ·
hot_mic_64d said:
Hey Havoc. i was just talking to a body shop guy at backus pontiac in savannah GA. He said if i brought my car in the would roll the fenders for me but the way they do it is kind of caveman. He said they would use a wooden baseball bat. Have you ever heard of such a thing??? its scaring me!
Yeah, I've heard of it... I just wouldn't do it!! lol Use a fender roller or have them cut and resealed.

#17 ·
only had for a few days now, havent rubbed yet. but believe i will if i hit a bump. the tires are hankook ventus K104's. bought them through wheelselections.com pretty good deal, other than the fact that i ordered the wrong size, but that was my mistake.

#19 ·
Not the same wheels, but bere's a pic of mine - AZA Z-10 wheels 18x8.5 35mm offset, Toyo TR1's 245/40/18's all the way around.

I did go ahead and roll the rear lips for clearance.

Keith

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.