LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
ehhh...call me a ricer, but for a million dollars, it's not that impressive. I can make a fast car if I had a million dollars and I'm just a nobody. I'd expect more from engineers.

Again, call me a ricer, but I think a supercharged F430 or supercharged Gallardo could take it. Any done-out domestic could take it too, but wouldn't look as nice.

It's an amazing car and I wouldn't turn it away if someone offered it to me for free lol. But I just don't see how it's worth a million dollars unless they're charging for exclusivity.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
868 Posts
Venom said:
ehhh...call me a ricer, but for a million dollars, it's not that impressive. I can make a fast car if I had a million dollars and I'm just a nobody. I'd expect more from engineers.

Again, call me a ricer, but I think a supercharged F430 or supercharged Gallardo could take it. Any done-out domestic could take it too, but wouldn't look as nice.

It's an amazing car and I wouldn't turn it away if someone offered it to me for free lol. But I just don't see how it's worth a million dollars unless they're charging for exclusivity.
Well said. I think I'd save 980,000 and buy a new Z06. I'm sure with a just a few grand in it that car would beat just about anything.
 

·
06 M6 in Frisco
Joined
·
560 Posts
Venom said:
ehhh...call me a ricer, but for a million dollars, it's not that impressive. I can make a fast car if I had a million dollars and I'm just a nobody. I'd expect more from engineers.

Again, call me a ricer, but I think a supercharged F430 or supercharged Gallardo could take it. Any done-out domestic could take it too, but wouldn't look as nice.

It's an amazing car and I wouldn't turn it away if someone offered it to me for free lol. But I just don't see how it's worth a million dollars unless they're charging for exclusivity.
I don't think that any other car back then had the handeling that was even close to the F1. It wasn't that it just went fast, it was on rail while it did it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
AcePilot said:
I don't think that any other car back then had the handeling that was even close to the F1. It wasn't that it just went fast, it was on rail while it did it.

damn straight, and with only 125 in existance (100 street versions & 25 race) its probably as exclusive as it gets, the car is a prime example of a automotive/engineering masterpiece. Decades from now, people will still eb atlking about it, appreciation will go throught the roof too, so it may be a good ROI 20 years down the road.
 

·
Acta Non Verba
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
Chi-Town Goat said:
Well said. I think I'd save 980,000 and buy a new Z06. I'm sure with a just a few grand in it that car would beat just about anything.

ummm, have you guys been hittin the bottle at lunch?? :drink:

It isn't just about the kind of speeds it reaches, it's the fact that the thing isn't shimmying all over the place at those speeds. The guy is chillin in the driver's seat, doing 183 mph in a road ready car on a turn...it's insane. He says it was get a little bit jittery at over 220 mph...I mean jesus. The price tag doesn't tell the whole story: it's paying the marketing for the car, the R&D and the engineers paychecks (they didn't just slap a supercharger on a lambo or freakin camaro guy, they DESIGNED a whole car). The car was streetable. IF you put some mods on those exotics they'd probably blow up...why wouldn't ferrari just do that anyhow? Probably cuz the design can't support the power to handle and drive pleasantly with that much speed capibility.

That car is/was just sick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Well said. I can turbo a civic to run with a GTO. A GTO can be built to run with a C6 Z06...
Its about the total package.. its about having one of the few. That 10 year old car can still run with the best supercars.

Supercars are not only about performance. I was at a show a couple weeks back. Carrera GTs, Ford GTs, F430s etc. I know a Z06 can run with them but it doesn't matter to most people. A Z06 is just another corvette. The McLaren is another step above these. Veyron, Enzo level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,437 Posts
Venom said:
ehhh...call me a ricer, but for a million dollars, it's not that impressive. I can make a fast car if I had a million dollars and I'm just a nobody. I'd expect more from engineers.

Again, call me a ricer, but I think a supercharged F430 or supercharged Gallardo could take it. Any done-out domestic could take it too, but wouldn't look as nice.

It's an amazing car and I wouldn't turn it away if someone offered it to me for free lol. But I just don't see how it's worth a million dollars unless they're charging for exclusivity.
One thing to note was this was back in the early 90s, development started in the 80s. This car was had a TON of "firsts" which are now commonplace in the auto industry. Another interesting fact, at $1 million a pop, McLaren was losing money. They didnt make a single dime from the sale of the F1 roadcars and were actually pretty deep in the hole from it. But, all the development lead to faster racecars later on. This car is one of the reasons why a "cheap" $150k F430 is as fast as it is today, from research/engineering that went into the McLaren F1.

True, 10-15 years later, its not the fastest thing on the street anymore, but it still holds its own giving the newest supercar a run for their money.
 

·
06 M6 in Frisco
Joined
·
560 Posts
bursty said:
Another interesting fact, at $1 million a pop, McLaren was losing money. They didnt make a single dime from the sale of the F1 roadcars and were actually pretty deep in the hole from it. But, all the development lead to faster racecars later on.
Same thing with the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 link that I posted, the car costs $1.4Million but costs Bugatti over $4 Million to make each car. Talk about loosing money. But the car is beyond its time W16 with 4 turbo/super chargers (can't remember which). with great handling and 252mph top speed, this thing is a monster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,437 Posts
AcePilot said:
Same thing with the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 link that I posted, the car costs $1.4Million but costs Bugatti over $4 Million to make each car. Talk about loosing money. But the car is beyond its time W16 with 4 turbo/super chargers (can't remember which). with great handling and 252mph top speed, this thing is a monster.
That car really had the potential to be the hands down best, but I think they went a little too luxo with it. It's sad that most of the clients on the Bugatti list are movie stars and rappers. Same goes for the McLarens nowadays too. Buying it just because its the most expensive car they can find and never appreciating what it can really do. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMO what the F1 did with a N/A 627 HP engine is more impressive than the veyron. Yes the veyron can out pace it in the straights but around a track my $ is on the F1. 241mph to the veyron 252 is not that big of a difference. I do believe they are not telling the whole truth but the top speed of the veyron but who knows.

Anyone know what the veyron runs in the 1/4? low 10's or better?
 

·
Su Sussudio
Joined
·
2,743 Posts
bursty said:
One thing to note was this was back in the early 90s, development started in the 80s. This car was had a TON of "firsts" which are now commonplace in the auto industry. Another interesting fact, at $1 million a pop, McLaren was losing money. They didnt make a single dime from the sale of the F1 roadcars and were actually pretty deep in the hole from it. But, all the development lead to faster racecars later on. This car is one of the reasons why a "cheap" $150k F430 is as fast as it is today, from research/engineering that went into the McLaren F1.

True, 10-15 years later, its not the fastest thing on the street anymore, but it still holds its own giving the newest supercar a run for their money.

the veyron's top speed is actually limited to 250 miles per hour, but its actual top speed is a little over 300 mph :eek2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
I only got it's top speed at 238.51... LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
mooninitesunite said:
the veyron's top speed is actually limited to 250 miles per hour, but its actual top speed is a little over 300 mph :eek2:
This is impossible (according to physics). The Veyron would have to have 1500hp to achieve this top speed. It would also take off.
 

·
Drag Racer
Joined
·
930 Posts
jumbojet said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7282272417299848915&q=Mclaren+F1


BTW. To get a better feel for how fast the car is going.
391KPH=241MPH or .61

So what ever speed he says he's going take that # and times it by .61
example..300KPHX.61 = 183mph! He was doing that around turns!!

Even better vid!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3117814684063609885&q=Mclaren+F1
AcePilot said:

Both are great videos !!!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top