LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering doing a C5 Z06 size set up, (17x8 front 18x10 rear) What's been don to fit 285-295 out back. Quarter panel mods do not scare me as I have a body shop. Just wondering if there are any suspension mods that are needed.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Custom rims with the perfect offset and fender lips completely removed might make it possible. Also make sure that the rear cradle alignment is dead on.

You may need to go with some stock height King Springs and/or drag bags in the end though.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
King Springs Stock height thanks to Bob and 19x10 rims with 275 tires.
The offset measures 7 5/8" from the hub to the lip.

Opps Thanks again Bob

Attachments

·
Because race car
2,835 Posts
STEXGTO said:
Considering doing a C5 Z06 size set up, (17x8 front 18x10 rear) What's been don to fit 285-295 out back. Quarter panel mods do not scare me as I have a body shop. Just wondering if there are any suspension mods that are needed.
Pretty nice owning your own body shop. If you decide to do anything more than just a little trimming of the fender lips, please post pics, because we are all dying for larger wheels/tires out back (and front too while we're at it).

·
Registered
796 Posts
ddawson said:
King Springs Stock height thanks to Bob and 19x10 rims with 275 tires.
The offset measures 7 5/8" from the hub to the lip.

Opps Thanks again Bob
So the king springs in the stock height is all that was needed to get 19x10's on back(along with the offset)? It seems I've read dozens of threads about people trying several things to run 9.5 width on the rear?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
A few guys like me have 18x10s or 19x10s in the rear with 275 wide tires. My wheels were custom made by CCW. The proper offset is key. I actually have 1" drop in the rear with rolled fenders. However, I occasionally get rubbing and am planning on going back to stock height in the rear with King or Pedders springs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where does the tire rub exactly (inner fender,suspension?) and how does the car ride with those King springs?

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
STEXGTO said:
Where does the tire rub exactly (inner fender,suspension?) and how does the car ride with those King springs?
Springs are great. It's the way the car should have come from the factory.

I have a small rub on the fender lip after I had the rear cradle aligned. I plan on getting the fender lips cut and see if I can run a larger tire.

This shot is with the King Springs KHFL 48HD and KHRL 125HD

·
BOM - code for Metal Pumpkin
1,179 Posts
Wow, that's pretty much perfect ride height. Very nice. Do the King springs maintain ride height, only much stiffer on the compression side of things?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rim in question is a Drift-R the offset is 50 (18x10). The vendor just told me I needed to cut two inches off the rear fenders and install flares. Anybody know exactly how much I would need to reshape fenders outward?? How much wider are these flares usually. I really feel I could be succesful at making this work, the fenders are of good sheetmetal and their is just enough room to work the metal outward. What do you guys think. I've done this before on a Porsche 928 my brother owned, so it is do-able.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Here is a shot of my 04. I had 18x9.5 w/45mm offset in the rear. The tires are 275/35R18 BFG Drag Radials (very square shoulder).

For this setup, I had to grind off about 1/2 of the fender lip and add the King Springs (1/2 lower front with stock height rear).

Now to compare your desired rims to mine.

10" wide is 254mm.
Center is 127mm
inside spacing 127+50=177mm
outside spacing 127-50=77mm

9.5" wide is 241mm
center is 120.65mm
inside spacing is 120.65+45=165.65mm
outside spacing is 120.65-45=75.65

So your desired rim go in towards the center of the car 11.35mm more than my rim. This shouldn't be a problem, on my car there was about 20mm of clearance there.
On the outside, your rim will stick out about 1.35mm more than mine.

As long as your rear cradle is good and centered, you should be able to get away with removing the fender lip. King Springs would be highly recommended, though, and the stance with the lower front and stock height rear is really nice. The King Springs are progressive rate and are about 40% stiffer than stock. Normal driving is very similar to stock but there is a big difference in cornering and the rear does not squat near as much.

Remember this is napkin fitment so results might not be exact in the real world.

Hope this helps
Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you that was some good insight, I think I'll pull the trigger on this project and I'll take a photo documentary of any mods needed to help any one out there.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
There was a shop that went with 315's or 335's. The had to notch the control arm and use a hammer on the inner fender well.
One of the biggest issues with going with flaring the fenders is that the top is not the limiting factor. On the back side of the wheel well, where the rear fender meets the bumper, is where the issues start to show. That is not an easy are to modify.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I clear 275s without having to roll the fender lip on my 9.5" rim. I could see a 10" rim fitting easily with the right offset and rolling or grinding the fender lip off. I dont know about a 295 though...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts