LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a kid a few years younger than me here in the area has a pretty sharp-lookin' '50s Chevy pickup. Now I'm not a fan of those old things, but I have to admit... his looks pretty damn nice. Well I've seen the truck around the area a few times and everyone has mentioned that it's fast as hell... and I saw him at Maryland International Raceway one night and I believe he was dialed in at a 13.9 or somewhere in that neighborhood.

Well heading to Waldorf, Md today I recognize the truck coming up behind me. He slowly passes me and he catches my attention. He moves up a few cars and I hear him give a slight rev to the throttle has he continues ahead. So I get anxious and pull up behind him, then slowly pull past him on the right lane of a two-lane road. I didn't try getting his attention doing this, but was hoping he'd notice me. Sure enough, a few seconds later he drops it down a gear and pulls ahead. I downshifted from 6th to 5th at about 60 mph and slowly pulled behind him. I got back beside him after he slowed down, then I heard him drop it all the way. I dropped into 3rd gear a after he got the kick, matched his speed just before shifting into 4th, then started pulling on him pretty well until I started coming up too fast on the car infront of me in my lane. I slowed it down and let him roll past and the he slowed down too.

I pulled back up beside him, gave him the thumbs up for having a damn fast old pickup, and asked him "What does that thing run... low 14's??" while cruising side-by-side. He replied, "Yep... low 14's with and has a 400 small block." Pretty impressive I'd say, for that heavy of a truck. He then went on to say "Man, that thing hauls!!".. referring to my GTO. I smiled, then we continued down the road.

Later we started coming to a red light, right next to each other... but we didn't make it to the light in time before it turned green again. I took the traction control off ahead of time just in case, and I heard him nail it when we were both doing about 20-30 mph. I was back in 3rd, and downshifed to second and he did even get a chance to make it next to me as close as he was when he nailed it and once again, he had the kick. I just slowly pulled on him again and we cut it down at around 70 mph. Once again, gave each other the nod and then he later turned off.

I'm still pretty damn impressed by that truck... half the kids around here have high 14 - high 15 second cars that think they're fast as sh*t. This one really has some competition for the others around here. I still can't say I pulled on him really hard... it took all I had to do it, but nevertheless my vehicle was a little faster. I should have downshifted to 1st that last time... but I'm still getting used to the car and I didn't want to roast the tires at the moment either. Well sorry for the EXTRA long post.... but that's just how I write. I write ALOT. Lol. Plus since this is my first kill, I had to go into detail!

Take it easy everyone!,
Andrew

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Good story. When coming to a stop light when I am first in line I always slip it into 3rd just in case someone is going to play. Besides I like to hear the wheels squeek.
:drink::drink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts