LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that there are a few options for a 2 piece nowadays.
Has anyone used the driveshaft from PTI?
Performance Years sells it for $699 and I'm intrigued because of the fact they decided to leave the end that connects to the rear end stock. They do however change the front to a standard 1310 slip.
http://www.pysales.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not sure but I seen a steel one piece from inland empire for 549 shipped from summit racing and comes complete ready to bolt up. That's what I'm going to get or you can buy the center support bearing from gtog8ta for 149 plus labor but some shops won't touch it

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure but I seen a steel one piece from inland empire for 549 shipped from summit racing and comes complete ready to bolt up. That's what I'm going to get or you can buy the center support bearing from gtog8ta for 149 plus labor but some shops won't touch it
Summit? I looked all over their site and the only one I can find is the one piece from BMR?
U have a link?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,036 Posts
The DSS two piece has a solid track record for reliability and no vibration.

·
Unleaded Regular Member
1,901 Posts
I have a DSS one piece, direct fit. Haven't had minute one of problems. I'm sure their 2 piece is very good as well. Hard to argue with their High rpm balancing.

·
Supercharged '04GTO
514 Posts
am very happy with my DSS set-up

·
Cyclone Gray Moneypit
1,984 Posts
Why would you get a steel one piece when you can get a high speed balanced one piece with higher critical speed for almost the same price from DSS?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
I have a DSS 2 piece in my 05 and a DSS carbon fiber in the 06. No problems with either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ebay is selling the inland empire from jegs $549 and summit has it for few buckes cheaper $537 just go to summit racing website and on top where key search and part number goes put in (Gto driveshaft) or part number is sk-05-Gto. I talked to a guy he said if no reason your not happy money back without questions, and you don't have to pay for shipping back
The guy said comes with everything ready to rock and roll steel 1 piece and u joints. That leaves me with the question what do I connect it to from u joints to the rear pinion?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel safer with something heaver and I think since it's a little heavier than aluminum there's no vibration issues and maybe less road noise since aluminum is thin. If you think about it think about a bunch of coke cans welded together. No thanks

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Actually think if this, you have 3 tubes in front of you. one steel on aluminum and one carbon. you pick up each tube with your thumb and forefinger and strike the tube, the steel will ring like a bell and resonate for some time, the aluminum will also but will not be as loud and not stay ringing as long. The carbon make a dull tick sound and stops.

The steel single shafts in these cars have been well documented to have harmonic frequency from the drivetrain transferred thru them like a tuning fork you hit one side and the other moves, not because of a bad balance but because the sound is moving the part, this is why we stopped making a single Steel one. The aluminum one is not only thicker (steel will be .083 VS .125 of the aluminum) but its better at stopping drivetrain noise. The carbon is better at both but for some the cost is prohibitive (but its actually less expensive than the 2 piece shafts)

with a shaft spinning at high speed heavy is not always a better choice, some of the new manufacturer shafts from some trucks and vans are thin but not the ones sold here by any of us selling them.

This is by far the best selling driveshaft both here and in Australia with over 2000 sold. its one great shaft and with the forum discount not far from what your being quoted above.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do you guys offer a forum Gto discount for members and what's the code name or number for discount when we order from your website?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,036 Posts
Frank speaks the truf. BMR, the first outfit to offer a single piece shaft for our cars discontinued their steel shaft and now offer only aluminum. It's a nice shaft, but comes with a ginormous pinion adapter that requires removal of stock yoke and subsequent readjusting of pinion. The DSS shaft with the blue adapter bolts right up with hand tools, and the adapter is much smaller. Less likely to have clearance problems with exhaust. Specify 04 or 05-06 to get the right blue adapter.

·
Unleaded Regular Member
1,901 Posts
The one from power train is a used shaft with a new front yoke, you will still have the hanger and non-replacable u-joint issues in the future of you plan on keeping the car. we do offer a few options if your interested.
The DSS two piece has a solid track record for reliability and no vibration.
am very happy with my DSS set-up
Why would you get a steel one piece when you can get a high speed balanced one piece with higher critical speed for almost the same price from DSS?

I have a DSS 2 piece in my 05 and a DSS carbon fiber in the 06. No problems with either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Actually think if this, you have 3 tubes in front of you. one steel on aluminum and one carbon. you pick up each tube with your thumb and forefinger and strike the tube, the steel will ring like a bell and resonate for some time, the aluminum will also but will not be as loud and not stay ringing as long. The carbon make a dull tick sound and stops.

The steel single shafts in these cars have been well documented to have harmonic frequency from the drivetrain transferred thru them like a tuning fork you hit one side and the other moves, not because of a bad balance but because the sound is moving the part, this is why we stopped making a single Steel one. The aluminum one is not only thicker (steel will be .083 VS .125 of the aluminum) but its better at stopping drivetrain noise. The carbon is better at both but for some the cost is prohibitive (but its actually less expensive than the 2 piece shafts)

with a shaft spinning at high speed heavy is not always a better choice, some of the new manufacturer shafts from some trucks and vans are thin but not the ones sold here by any of us selling them.

This is by far the best selling driveshaft both here and in Australia with over 2000 sold. its one great shaft and with the forum discount not far from what your being quoted above.
Frank speaks the truf. BMR, the first outfit to offer a single piece shaft for our cars discontinued their steel shaft and now offer only aluminum. It's a nice shaft, but comes with a ginormous pinion adapter that requires removal of stock yoke and subsequent readjusting of pinion. The DSS shaft with the blue adapter bolts right up with hand tools, and the adapter is much smaller. Less likely to have clearance problems with exhaust. Specify 04 or 05-06 to get the right blue adapter.
OP, the above are the most useful post so far, for your situation.

·
Cyclone Gray Moneypit
1,984 Posts
I feel safer with something heaver and I think since it's a little heavier than aluminum there's no vibration issues and maybe less road noise since aluminum is thin. If you think about it think about a bunch of coke cans welded together. No thanks
There is so much wrong with this post that I have a hard time believing you were being serious. Please tell me you were just trolling

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes was joking so many different options out there for driveshaft

·
FPFQ^87
148 Posts
Really? You shouldn't have opinions unless they are backed up by at least some knowledge of the subject matter.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts