LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the dealership today having the fix for the "thunk in the trunk" installed I had the dealer check the balancing of my 2 front wheels. I was experiencing a pretty noticeable shake between 60 and 70 and also to a lesser degree at other speeds. They pulled the wheel/tires and did a load force check on them and they failed. There is no stock in the area so they are currently on order. I guess I was a little surprised that these tires would be defective from the factory. I expected that it would have been just a matter of rebalancing because the car had been strapped down multiple times from Australia to NH. Are the factory tires really that bad? What other tires are people purchasing for their vehicles?

~MattS

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
No vibration or alignment issues here that would lead me to question anything about the tires. Were yours overinflated when you received your car?
Dan

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
BFG is really a nice tire. Not sure why they came bad from the factory. I've had BFG before and been happy with them.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Matt,
Did you have the 'thunk' fixed in Nashua? How did they treat you?
I'm going there tomorrow for my fix.

·
Registered
392 Posts
No tire vibration here. Two tires were over inflated 55psi. I've had the Goat just a little over a 100mph. (I'm a little conservative) compared to some of the Hot Rodders.
But they haven't complained of tires... I've got BFG on my RS 10,000mi. A O. K....
I would let BFG no about your tires.. Cosmo

·
Registered
1 Posts
mlc said:
Matt,
Did you have the 'thunk' fixed in Nashua? How did they treat you?
I'm going there tomorrow for my fix.
Dont trust those guys in Nashua, go to Manchester. The next thing is whats up with that dealership and tires. I bought my car in Ma. but it was a trade out from them. After 300 miles, I had trouble with the rr tire. My dealer told me to bring the car, upon inspection the tire was bubbling and he told me that it would be replaced under warranty. When they contacted GM for warranty they were told that this was the second rr tire replaced. Upon further inspection it wasnt even the right tire it was a Goodyear. The Nashua dealer said that the original tire was damaged in shipping and that it was replaced. I dont trust them, my sister bought a BMW from them and had nothing but trouble with there service department. I am looking forward to meeting all you new owners at the Buick/Pontiac show that they are holding at the Nashua Dealership in May.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys and interest.

After reading the other post about tire pressure, I checked mine. They were all 35 psi. I experienced the vibration from day one.

The sales guy and I spoke to the service manager and he said that it was not uncommon for the car to behave like that after such a long journey being strapped down and to give it 500 miles. Which I did. Obviously, that was not the case here. BFG has been notified. There were several pieces of paperwork that needed to be filled out in order to process this.

mlc - Yup, I had the "thunk" fixed in Nashua and they treated be good. The Pontiac service guy behind the counter is great to work with, the manager can be a pain sometimes. I watched for the Tech to finish and I went out to talk to him. It was nice to see that you couldn't even tell that he had removed and swapped the wheels. I specifcally requested that they NOT use air tools on the car and they didn't.

redgto366 - I am a surprised that they "the Nashua dealership" put the wrong brand of tire on the car. When it was apparent that the local supplier didn't have the exact, right down to the tire size tire (i.e. 245 compared to 255), I asked if they could go to one size larger since they had them in stock. They said that if I did I would have to pay for it as it wouldn't be covered under warrenty because of the size change. So, I am waiting. I take it then that you were the person that came in after they swapped the red M6 for the blue A4 and drove to pick it up in MA? Let me know where and when the show is as I will make a point to attend.

Cheers!!!

~Matt

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Mixed feeling about Nashua! I'll be going for a 1pm appointment. I hope it turns out okay because it's hard to find a dealer you can trust.

What's this about a show in May? Any links?

·
Registered
301 Posts
The BFG KDW came standard on our SVT Contours, and many owners including myself replaced them with KDWS. We all feel they handle great, get noisier as they wear (most tires do), and more than one of us has found a re-balance or two necessary during their lifespan.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
MattSaint said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys and interest.

After reading the other post about tire pressure, I checked mine. They were all 35 psi. I experienced the vibration from day one.

The sales guy and I spoke to the service manager and he said that it was not uncommon for the car to behave like that after such a long journey being strapped down and to give it 500 miles. Which I did. Obviously, that was not the case here. BFG has been notified. There were several pieces of paperwork that needed to be filled out in order to process this.

mlc - Yup, I had the "thunk" fixed in Nashua and they treated be good. The Pontiac service guy behind the counter is great to work with, the manager can be a pain sometimes. I watched for the Tech to finish and I went out to talk to him. It was nice to see that you couldn't even tell that he had removed and swapped the wheels. I specifcally requested that they NOT use air tools on the car and they didn't.

redgto366 - I am a surprised that they "the Nashua dealership" put the wrong brand of tire on the car. When it was apparent that the local supplier didn't have the exact, right down to the tire size tire (i.e. 245 compared to 255), I asked if they could go to one size larger since they had them in stock. They said that if I did I would have to pay for it as it wouldn't be covered under warrenty because of the size change. So, I am waiting. I take it then that you were the person that came in after they swapped the red M6 for the blue A4 and drove to pick it up in MA? Let me know where and when the show is as I will make a point to attend.

Cheers!!!

~Matt
Your that kinda customer I surley loathe matt, and i've delt with your type on many occasions. The customer I like, drops the car off throughly explains their issues picks up the car the next morning. In this trade we work off commision ONLY and some rear thunk TSB may only pay .3 tenths of an hour (gm has the worst warranty times) so that time that you demanded your car be done that technician may loose out on a simple oil change rotate that pays twice as much and has upselling opprotunitys.

Far as not using air tools, did you come up with that? This poor guy is working on book time remember. even on the assembly line they use electric cordless impact wrenchs. Some fasteners are only able to be removed air impact or they will break, reassembly is a different story. The way I do it is put in the faster with electric impact then use torque wrench.

Sorry to see you had some bad tires, but its not uncommon. Glad to see they fixed it for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
GMH GTO said:
Your that kinda customer I surley loathe matt, and i've delt with your type on many occasions. The customer I like, drops the car off throughly explains their issues picks up the car the next morning.
GMH GTO,

Thanks for the personal attack. You don't know me from adam and you bash me on a public board. A real class act to be sure.

I, like many others, have had many problems taking my (our) cars to the dealership for service. Not to mention damaged wheels, see my other thread.

·
Registered
571 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Your that kinda customer I surley loathe matt, and i've delt with your type on many occasions. The customer I like, drops the car off throughly explains their issues picks up the car the next morning. In this trade we work off commision ONLY and some rear thunk TSB may only pay .3 tenths of an hour (gm has the worst warranty times) so that time that you demanded your car be done that technician may loose out on a simple oil change rotate that pays twice as much and has upselling opprotunitys.
As a customer I don't give a rats [email protected]# about what problems the dealer's service department are having with the mother ship. I just want my car fixed right the first time. My experience is that if the dealer would fix it right the first time it would take less time then when I have to bring the car back several times for it to get redone.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
MattSaint said:
GMH GTO,

Thanks for the personal attack. You don't know me from adam and you bash me on a public board. A real class act to be sure.

I, like many others, have had many problems taking my (our) cars to the dealership for service. Not to mention damaged wheels, see my other thread.
When did I bash you??? I just told you I don't like customers thats watch me through some prison window. Not to mention a customer who tells me which tools I can or can't use. So your new GTO had a clunk in the rear end why are you so depressed?

Before trading for a GTO I had a Silverado K2500HD I noticed an axle seal was leaking took it into the dealer told what I think it is and of course it was. Left it there two nights later the tech took care of it end of story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts