LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine, and read that their project GTO gained 20+ horsepower on the dyno by placing ice packs on the intake for 30 minutes. They actually showed a 50 hp increase number-wise, but said that there's no way it could be that much and modified it to 20+........Anyone else see that?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I haven't but this makes what Mistermike did more of a consideration. If I could only find it in black.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
HRJ said:
Just got the latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine, and read that their project GTO gained 20+ horsepower on the dyno by placing ice packs on the intake for 30 minutes. They actually showed a 50 hp increase number-wise, but said that there's no way it could be that much and modified it to 20+........Anyone else see that?
Thats the reason Moroso makes the cool cans to chill the fuel feeding carbs which makes for a denser charge. I used to run this on my 69 camaro and would actually have condensate forming on the outsides of my intake runner on the manifold. Too bad theres not enough room under our hoods to fit that. Same basic result from chilling the manifold as they did.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mlc said:
I haven't but this makes what Mistermike did more of a consideration. If I could only find it in black.
I think that the tape needs to be silver to reflect more heat...? Wouldn't black tape absorb heat?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
This is an age old trick! We do it at the track all the time.

20hp seems a little steep, but what can you say!

Remember, it's also an article which means it's glorified some to sell copies.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
HRJ said:
I think that the tape needs to be silver to reflect more heat...? Wouldn't black tape absorb heat?
Silver only reduces heat by refecting sunlight. The color of the material under the hood won't have an effect of heat rejection/absorbtion.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mlc said:
Silver only reduces heat by refecting sunlight. The color of the material under the hood won't have an effect of heat rejection/absorbtion.
Ohhhhh.....

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
mlc said:

He is absolutely correct. There are 3 windows in my house that I cover with aluminum foil during summer here in AZ every season. It reflects sunlight and so the room is cooler.

Under the hood, you can pretty much use any form of heat insualtion tape. I used a grey one and a black one to insulate my stock airbox and the intake tube. There is some truth to cold air going to the TB. This is why I also did the TB coolant bypass mod. I have done everything physically possible to cool down the air coming from the intake to my throttle.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Somehow I cant see a +20whp gain from just some ice packs. Perhaps if they specificly chill the fuel rails but even then the fuel is moving through at such a rate it would barely make a measureable difference in fuel temp/density if at all. I'm thinking at least half that gain was just letting the car properly cool between dyno runs and/or the ECU decided to run more agressive timing because the IAT sensor was cooler on the second run thus giving the car a lot more power.

·
GTO doctor
892 Posts
I don't know, I think 20hp is possible. Think about the difference driving the car in the 90 degree summer heat vs. 30 or 40 degree fall/winter weather. You can certainly feel a difference in how the car pulls via the ass dyno, so it has to be a pretty substantial gain. I notice a difference in how the car drives now with 50 and 60 degree temps.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
drburns said:
I don't know, I think 20hp is possible. Think about the difference driving the car in the 90 degree summer heat vs. 30 or 40 degree fall/winter weather. You can certainly feel a difference in how the car pulls via the ass dyno, so it has to be a pretty substantial gain. I notice a difference in how the car drives now with 50 and 60 degree temps.
True, but this is just an ice pack strapped to the intake manifold. The fact is, it wont chill the intake air that much before it hits the engine. The air is passing through the manifold extremely quick, very little heat transfer is taking place during this time. And seeing as the manifolds are a cast nylon material, it makes even less heat or in this case even less chill to pass through the manifold. Until someone mounts a highly accurate temp probe inside the intake manifold and makes a dyno pass with and without the ice pack to prove the intake temps drop significantly (more than say 20 degrees) i'm going to stand by my theory that it is bunk and the dyno results were bogus to a point. (Heck, you can fudge dyno results either direction by a good bit if you know what to secretly change.)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Very nifty... Wonder how performance is with that since it completely replaces the factory manifold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts